Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
pepe said:
astraowner said:
You sure? The navi and HMI look very much like our 2018 insignia, thus GM.
Im just quoting the guy that books the cars into the garage at the local vauxhall dealer.

He said that "Next year, they will change to the french radio's"

If he was incorrect i am unable to say offcourse.

The remark was in regards to a question from me, if there were likely to be any further updates to the R4.0 beyond the latest version that i was wanting to have installed to solve the 2015 firmware, black screen on AA, problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't know either, I haven't seen the new navi in the Astra live. Just by looking at the videos they seem identical to the insignia one, which I know for sure are GM.
Anyway the old ones probably won't get any updates anymore, but this was kinda the same on the previous model J.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
pepe said:
I don't know either, I haven't seen the new navi in the Astra live. Just by looking at the videos they seem identical to the insignia one, which I know for sure are GM.
Anyway the old ones probably won't get any updates anymore, but this was kinda the same on the previous model J.
Offcourse not, as soon as they work pretty well without any major bugs, they will discontinue any new development on the units.

I do think though,that car manufacturers will soon need to do longer upgrade cycles on infotainment systems in their cars.

I bet that in 5 years there will probably not be a "satnav" version of the radio's and they will glide more and more into the realm of smartphone connectivity.

I mean, who want to pay an extra £1000 for a satnav, and then have to pay £100 every year for map updates, when you can buy a, below £100 Garmin satnav with free lifetime updates, and the radio supports your phone that does Google maps navigation for free and with maps that gets updated all the time instead of only yearly.

Maps are even outdated when they are released for the built in satnav, the 2020 maps are compiles in 2019, usually upwards of a year before they are released.

I think Vauxhall knows this, as it seems they did not even bother offering a 2020 map for the Navi 900

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unrelated to Intellilink firmware as such, please see attached a few pics of the Radio/Amp unit and its connections that I have in my 2020 SRi Non Nav.
The connections are nothing like the ones in previous units as was confirmed by a Car Audio supplier who I have been discussing an upgrade with. The orig intention was to utilise the "Match/Helix" Plug and Play units from audiotec-fischer but nothing on their web site comes close to matching what I found, not even their adapters for Peugeot/Citroen...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So that confirms it. It will not be possible as such to upgrade the unit even if one wanted to.

Unless offcourse there will be an adaptor loom that can be fitted.

But then again, you would have to get Vauxhall to do the coding to the car, so unlikely that it will at all be possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
astraowner said:
So that confirms it. It will not be possible as such to upgrade the unit even if one wanted to.

But then again, you would have to get Vauxhall to do the coding to the car, so unlikely that it will at all be possible.
As far as an upgrade goes, I'm guessing that an experienced Installer could simply tap-into the speaker out leads and connect any amp with speaker level input capability, however it's a lot of hassle compared with the plug and play solution I was looking for.

On a side note, I have found that none of the literature supplied in the car, handbook etc, is relating to the new hardware. It all refers to the R4.0 system, Nav/Non Nav from LGE and Ultimate systems from HK.

The main issue for me is that with this new hardware/software, there is no facility that I can see for viewing pictures and video when stationary as there was with the previous system. No "Gallery" icon either. I have written a strongly worded email to my dealer saying that this was one of the features that influenced my purchase so am awaiting a reply. I imagine they will hide behind the, "Vauxhall reserves the right to change/update" etc etc

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Airblade750 said:
astraowner said:

As far as an upgrade goes, I'm guessing that an experienced Installer could simply tap-into the speaker out leads and connect any amp with speaker level input capability, however it's a lot of hassle compared with the plug and play solution I was looking for.

On a side note, I have found that none of the literature supplied in the car, handbook etc, is relating to the new hardware. It all refers to the R4.0 system, Nav/Non Nav from LGE and Ultimate systems from HK.

The main issue for me is that with this new hardware/software, there is no facility that I can see for viewing pictures and video when stationary as there was with the previous system. No "Gallery" icon either. I have written a strongly worded email to my dealer saying that this was one of the features that influenced my purchase so am awaiting a reply. I imagine they will hide behind the, "Vauxhall reserves the right to change/update" etc etc
You can get aftermarket units with 9" screen and android 8-9 that will pop right in, instead of the touch screen and the "computer" is just attached on the back of the screen.

Should work just fine without coding and even be compatible with the settings of the car.

If you want an original radio you will need VCI coding to swap it.

Also, with the 2020 MY, they changed the camera setup and possibly other units (Climate control etc.), so maybe the new HMI radio unit is not even compatible with the peripherals, settings wise and so on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just to tag onto the bottom of this thread regarding the MY2020 Astra-K PSA units to give the guys on this forum some information.

These new style connectors utilsed on PSA built Astra-K's fitted with the IOR rpo infotainment system are referred to as 29-way NANO MCON units. (29-Way F 0.5 NANO, 1.2 MCON Series Sealed (GN)) & (29-Way F 0.5 NANO, 1.2 MCON Series Sealed (GY)).

The infotainment system is practically the same hardware in the IOA infotainment fitted to late MY2019 units, with some case revisions. It is possible to upgrade to an aftermarket solution (why you would want to, I'm not quite sure?). But we could assist in creating a custom loom to facilitate such needs.

I've attached the wirring diagrams for both MCON connectors to assist anyone looking at them.

X1: https://files.intellilinkmods.co.uk/astra-k/IOR/X1.pdf
X1: https://files.intellilinkmods.co.uk/astra-k/IOR/X2.pdf

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
IntellilinkMods said:
Just to tag onto the bottom of this thread regarding the MY2020 Astra-K PSA units to give the guys on this forum some information.

These new style connectors utilsed on PSA built Astra-K's fitted with the IOR rpo infotainment system are referred to as 29-way NANO MCON units. (29-Way F 0.5 NANO, 1.2 MCON Series Sealed (GN)) & (29-Way F 0.5 NANO, 1.2 MCON Series Sealed (GY)).

The infotainment system is practically the same hardware in the IOA infotainment fitted to late MY2019 units, with some case revisions. It is possible to upgrade to an aftermarket solution (why you would want to, I'm not quite sure?). But we could assist in creating a custom loom to facilitate such needs.

I've attached the wirring diagrams for both MCON connectors to assist anyone looking at them.

Do you know if the PSA units have Android Auto Wireless, and OTA firmware upgrade.

Is it possible to install a PSA 2020+ HMI unit on a older car and get the same functionality as the 2020+ models ?

Can the screen from a R4.0 be used on the 2020+ non-navigation units.

I am wondering, if this is possible, would be better for vauxhall as well, as they would not have to stock the old outdated R4.0 for when someone comes in with a dead HMI that needs replacing. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
IntellilinkMods said:

[/quote]

That's great info, many thanks...
Kind of interesting that due to their choice of connectors, the speaker connections need now to be spread over both of the connectors rather than one due to the new versions only having 7 large connector options on each plug... Oh well, I guess they know what the're doing...

Just one question please, do you think Pin 1 and/or 2 on connector X1 would be a switched live? ie suitable for remote switch on of a auxiliary amplifier?

Thanks again for the info :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
astraowner said:
IntellilinkMods said:

Do you know if the PSA units have Android Auto Wireless, and OTA firmware upgrade.

Is it possible to install a PSA 2020+ HMI unit on a older car and get the same functionality as the 2020+ models ?

Can the screen from a R4.0 be used on the 2020+ non-navigation units.

I am wondering, if this is possible, would be better for vauxhall as well, as they would not have to stock the old outdated R4.0 for when someone comes in with a dead HMI that needs replacing. ?
You could re-use the screen and buttons from the original R4.0 system as they're of identical part number. You would however have to re-pin the two connectors from Molex STAC64's to MCON's - bit of a pain, but no biggy, then additionally modify the USBs as the PSA unit uses a paired (dual) USB-B mini for the screen / USB port, so some mods would be needed.

We could program it no issues though.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
IntellilinkMods said:
You could re-use the screen and buttons from the original R4.0 system as they're of identical part number. You would however have to re-pin the two connectors from Molex STAC64's to MCON's - bit of a pain, but no biggy, then additionally modify the USBs as the PSA unit uses a paired (dual) USB-B mini for the screen / USB port, so some mods would be needed.

We could program it no issues though.
Yeah, making an adaptor cable does not seem that big of a problem. Especially if you could get the opposite sex connectors to connect into it.

Does it need to be programmed in-situ or can it be done by sending you the unit ? Asking because i am not from the UK so i can not just pop around and have it done :)

Also, do you know if it has AA Wireless and/or OTA updating ?

I know that this is early days for it, but could you take a used EBAY one that was taken from at smashed car and reprogram it ?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
mrtailorson_ said:
What is the latest software version for IntelliLink R 4.0? still 36.2.5?
I think someone said that they got 36.2.6 from mid 2018

Just remember that usually the numbers denote what kind of update.

First digit 36 denotes a major revision, this will usually contain critical bug fixes and new functions.

Second digit 2, denotes a minor version, where bugs that did not affect every user is fixed or an existing function is tweaked.

Third digit 6 denoted a very small change...This can be for example spelling errors in one language or some minor tweak that fixes some function, related to, for example showing the right characters on one radio station etc.

So from .5 to .6 is going to be a very tiny fix, most probably someting 95% of users would ever experience, and the last 5% will only notice if told.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
mrtailorson_ said:
so my headunit was updated. which field is the one mentioned in the posts here? :)

i mean, do i have 36.2.1 or 36.2.6?

Must be 36.2.6 as i have 36.2.5 and this is dated December 2017 and yours is newer at May 2018

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
welderchon said:
I went to the dealer and the version is the 1.36.2.6 May 2018. Is there any newer?
Not to my knowledge and from 2020 onward, they have changed to new and upgraded HMI's so dont expect anything else for the R4.0

Sadly car manufacturer's quickly abandon their tech. As soon as the worst bugs are squashed, they abandon it.

This is one of the area's where Tesla for example has the right approach and the traditional car manufacturers are going to lose.

From what i have read, there is a software bug in the ID.3 from volkswagen and to have it fixed you need to take the car to an actual dealer, that must program it, using original volkswagen programming equipment.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts