Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
New update.
After doing this reprogramming and driving for a month i can say that MPG is improving again. But I lost some power/torque under 1800rpm.
Its not so bad as it was on first impression but i still need to push car harder to get decent acceleration.
How much did the mpg drop originally and now please as I am starting to get a bit concerned in how much it's dropping as I had mine done last week

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted the garage who did the work. They offered to book it in for a diagnostic but pointed out that if it is not shown to be the software upgrade then I would be charged just under £120 for the diagnostic. I have emailed Vauxhall and will await their reply before I proceed.
Surprised this morning when the Engine Management light just went off again. Can't explain it but I have bought an OBD2 scanner just to have for the future. I hope that you get sorted out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would be interesting to see if anybody has actually asked Vaux/Opel whether the "update" would affect the cars performance figures...........I could imagine rather a long wait forra reply :lol: :lol:
Hi,
took mine in for a service and when I booked it in they asked if I'd got a recall. I hadn't. But by the time it was due to go in I had got a recall letter.
I spoke to the service dept at my local dealership and they told me it was to correct the emissions and that it would NOT affect performance, power or petrol consumption. It was a software, engine management update.
This was a couple of months ago. I can't remember when the stop/start has stepped in since the service. Odd things like the cabin fan comes on full blast when I start the car, and the engine seems to idle at higher revs than previously.
I suspect the economy and fuel consumption have drastically affected...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Diesel Astra K

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hi,
took mine in for a service and when I booked it in they asked if I'd got a recall. I hadn't. But by the time it was due to go in I had got a recall letter.
I spoke to the service dept at my local dealership and they told me it was to correct the emissions and that it would NOT affect performance, power or petrol consumption. It was a software, engine management update.
This was a couple of months ago. I can't remember when the stop/start has stepped in since the service. Odd things like the cabin fan comes on full blast when I start the car, and the engine seems to idle at higher revs than previously.
I suspect the economy and fuel consumption have drastically affected...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Diesel Astra K
I would find it only natural that the petrol consumption on your diesel astra was not affected by the update :)

Vauxhall in my country is really adament that i get this update. They can only send letters to owners through what is the equivalent of the DVLA and until now they have already sent me 2 letters asking me to come see them to arrange the update.

I am fully intent on ignoring them, so unless it ends up being a MOT fail, if the update is not installed, i am not going to get it done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not read the entire thread yet.....but thought I would mention that I got the letter months ago about this recall and was going to get it done, but thought would just check the old google to see if there was any known issues after the update was done first.......so because of some issues mentioned on here I decided NOT to bother getting the update.

The one thing that worried me was someone mentioned that a MOT might not be able to be done IF it shows as a outstanding recall.

Well I just had my car MOT'd and passed WITHOUT having this firmware update done.

I am in UK, and have a 1.6 CDTi 66 plate Astra (110 BHP version).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
so as i gather this recall changes the DPF burn duration
That and a more agressive EGR action as well.

I dont know if the EGR being open more of the time is increasing the soot level, but yes it seems to do more regens, so unless they changed the pressure differential that has to be there for a regen to occur, it seems that what they do, creates more soot, that needs more regens.

How it can be good for mother nature to do something to lower the NoX, but at the expense of what i can only guess would create more Co2 (Burning more fuel, less mileage and creating and burning more soot, to be released into our cities) is anyone's guess.

One thing is for sure....This alteration is not something that is a benefit directly to the end user, because if they had been able to do something that lowered NoX and benefitted the end user, they would have done it from factory.

·
Registered
158 Posts
MOT done today. Dealership said they could do the recall. I explained I didn’t want it and the issues raised on the forum. Following a brief chuckle about the diesel gate scandals they gladly took me off the list. No drama from themselves at all.

Little did they know I borrowed an anti tamper label from work, which is still happily in place over the ODB port.
(Not sure it’s done through OBD but if it is I can say it wasn’t accessed) 🙂

Hopefully this puts anyone nervous about being force to update at ease 🙂
And second MOT 60k miles with no issues at all. Happy today.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
MOT done today. Dealership said they could do the recall. I explained I didn’t want it and the issues raised on the forum. Following a brief chuckle about the diesel gate scandals they gladly took me off the list. No drama from themselves at all.

Little did they know I borrowed an anti tamper label from work, which is still happily in place over the ODB port.

Update is definitively done via the OBD port, they reprogram some parameters in the engine ECU.

Reactions: Kcirtap

·
Super Moderator
73 Posts

I'm not sure what people are afraid of, I had the recall done with my third MOT almost 3 months ago, and haven't noticed any detrimental effects to date.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm not sure what people are afraid of, I had the recall done with my third MOT almost 3 months ago, and haven't noticed any detrimental effects to date.
Maybe the effects are different based on what version of the car you have.

From your signature i think you have the 160bhp, maybe you have so many horsepower that you do not feel it if you lost some horses, but the people with the 110bhp version does.

Just a guess...

Reactions: Kcirtap

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
gotta take a dyno test :D
From memory, they did just that with the Volkswagens when they had their emissions recall, and found that the car did indeed have fewer horsepower after the update.

Since the engine ECU on most euro cars are more or less the same Bosch unit, it would be fair to assume that they way they "cheated" is more or less the same. These bosch units are programmed by bosch so run the same program, the only thing the manufacturer can do is adjust parameters for different things and this was what Volkswagen did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the recall done last week, 136bhp.....I'm finding in the week so far this.... Revs at around 900rpm until at operating temp, then drops to around 750(which it was before, after about 2 mins of starting!) fuel economy has dropped from around 60-61 to 54-55(on computer). Seems to change gear at higher revs now, power wise, unsure as of yet.... But overall seems to make the car worse after recall.... Maybe it might settle down, when the ecu starts to recognise driving habits, I'm giving it another week, then may call them to discuss.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts