Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
eusty said:
"Your vehicle's fuel economy, performance and noise level will be unaffected" according to my letter from Vauxhall UK.

Mmmmmmm.....
Suuure, and the noisy chain is not a defect, it is just an engine characteristic.......

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can tell from my own experience that performance and fuel economy is not the same after update!
Engine responds differently to throttle after update. Its less responsive and i need to shift more!
Especially at low revs under 2k.
Worst decision was to do update. Its not drastic change but big enough to feel difference while driving...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Icy said:
I can tell from my own experience that performance and fuel economy is not the same after update!
Engine responds differently to throttle after update. Its less responsive and i need to shift more!
Worst decision was to do update. Its not drastic change but big enough to feel difference while driving...
That's so annoying icy , no way would I take any of my cars in for an update….no doubt all to do with emissions.
I once spoke with a decent remapper and they can tell you what changes a manufacturer will make to your ecu , files etc.
Bugger the owner ref mpg , acceleration etc - as long as the emissions are down to what they said they should be then so be it.
Covering their asses as usual !

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Icy said:
I'll bet, what they do is the same as Volkswagen does, it makes perfect sense, when considering what your experience with the car is.

Changed torque curve and less horsepower and torque.

https://teknikensvarld.se/nyheter/bil-och-trafik/dieselgate-volkswagen-cars-loses-power-after-fix-456111/

One of the tested cars is a four-wheel drive Passat Alltrack. Before going to the Volkswagen workshop, we measured 176 horsepower and 379 Nm in torque. After the fix, only 163 horsepower and 369 Nm remained. The numbers may not seem that different but the torque curve has changed completely. Before the fix, maximum torque at nearly 380 Nm was found between 1500 and 2300 rpms. After reprogramming at Volkswagen, the torque curve slopes. At 1500 rpms, the engine only provides 220 Nm. It is not until 1900 rpms we get the maximum 369 Nm. Since this is the rpm interval most used in a diesel car, the effect is felt almost constantly.
Both Vauxhall and Volkswagen use Bosch ECU's so the fix is probably the same on both cars.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Icy said:
Does your car perform dpf regens more frequently too? Since the update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
astraowner said:
Pompeydave said:
I certainly won't be taking mine in if asked to , as long as it passes the MOT that's fine.
You've got the hassle of taking it in , then picking it up , dropping in a fast car and then taking back a slower car…..no thanks.
VX arnt fuddling with my ecu at all.
In my country it is the "DVLA" that sends the notices for recall's as the car manufacturer don't know who owns the affected cars.

They also usually require the manufacturer to report to the "DVLA" when the fix has been carried out. Especially if it is related to emissions or there is a risk of fire, for example.

So, if i go to get the MOT'ed, the MOT station will be unable to enter the MOT status into the system if it has active recalls.

It's the same if i owe money for road tax, insurance, have unpaid fines relating to the car. It is simply not possible to do the MOT and have it entered into the system until i sort out the problem.

But yes....I would not want to take it to vauxhall just to have them take away 10 horses and 50 torques to meet the emissions they promised they would.

In such a case, they should be forced to pay me, for the valueloss of having a less powerful car. Possibly it would also have to have it's registration details updated, a car is rated for a certain trailer hitch weight, based on for example engine size, so if it suddenly has less oooomph, then it will maybe only be allowed to pull a 1200 kg trailer, instead of a 1400 kg trailer.

This could be very problematic for someone that has a caravan that weighs in at 1350 for example, suddenly this guy has a caravan that the car they sold him, to pull the caravan, is suddenly not allowed to anymore.

To be honest, they should be forced to buy back the cars off of people that wanted this option, when their car suddenly does not have the specs, it was sold with.
I assume by referring to the DVLA you are in the UK? If so my two product recalls (one being this emissions one) have been notified by a letter directly from Vauxhall, nothing from the DVLA. So I'm not sure how to true that is

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
badger said:
I assume by referring to the DVLA you are in the UK? If so my two product recalls (one being this emissions one) have been notified by a letter directly from Vauxhall, nothing from the DVLA. So I'm not sure how to true that is
No not from the UK, hence the ""

In Denmark where i live, only the government office, issuing the license plates, actually know who owns a car.

There are a few other companies that can get license plate to name information, like parking companies that issue parking tickets, police obviously and so on, but they also get it from the government register.

Vauxhall is not able to send out the letters as they only know the original owner of a car, and it would not be useful to send the letter to someone that sold their car years ago...Maybe even traded it in, so they dont even know who owns it now.

So if this kind of thing happens, they send a request to the government department, that all cars currently registered, that has this and this engine, needs a letter.

They then pay the government department to send out these letters on their behalf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So does anyone know for certain if by not having this update in the uk be detrimental when it comes to future MOTs?
Also I have not opened a claim yet...so it would be good to know if getting the update how I would stand in making a claim.
Any ideas anyone?
Tia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening all and I am new to this forum but have been tracking it.

My Astra 136 CDTI going in for 4th service tomorrow and they have outlined the update reqd.

I wrote under a FOI request to Vauxhall for specifics of the update and was told no change to performance of economy.

The recall letter has arrived showing it as a Safety Recall but the first letter says it is a Customer Satisfaction campaign hence why t is not showing on DVLA. If not on DVLA then I cannot see how it would fail an MOT unless it did have a problem.

Am I cynical bet your life I am and I will be declining the update tomorrow until I next write to Vauxhall asking of any issues reported by customers.

As ever I expect the Service dept to drop themselves in it as I won't tell them about the FOI enquiry until they start giving me the Vauxhall promises. I really like this car and economy always high 50s on my daily commute of 50 miles each way so cannot afford any loss in either economy or performance.

E172109770

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son has just had the Customer Satisfaction recall for the software update, my advice was not to do it, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
As the objective is to reduce NOx emissions the only way you could do that (without an AdBlue system) would be to increase the amount of exhaust gas recirculation to reduce the O2 level in the air charge. This will reduce power, increase fuel consumption and lead to faster sooting up of the EGR valve, the same problems VW had when they were forced to change their software.
If he has to take the car in for a safety related recall the computer port will be sealed off with masking tape and signed with a felt pen and photographed and service reception will be given a letter stating that under no circumstances are they permitted to update the software under threat of legal action.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you know the location of the software update port - assuming it is not the OBDII port?

My question is whether this recall will be classed as a "Safety Recall" and thus appear as a mandatory update before the vehicle can be MOT'd. From the letter it says "Customer Satisfaction Program" and does not say the word "mandatory" anywhere or when referring to the update. So as far as I am concerned it should not be classed as a safety update that requires a recall.
The problem here in the UK is if it appears as an outstanding recall on the DVSA website this means the vehicle can not be MOT'd until the outstanding recall has been cleared from the system. Vauxhall have obviously been in contact with the DVSA as they have obtained the registered keepers address in order to send the letters, neither of our addresses should be known on any Vauxhall system.

As yet neither of our two Vauxhall's (2015 and 2016), for which we have received the letter about the update, appear on the DVSA website (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/) under the "Outstanding vehicle recalls" section. So I am hoping this is the end of the matter, apart from receiving further letters with big red writing on them trying to convince us that somehow they can reduce emissions all without affecting "fuel economy, performance and noise level" - if that was the case then surely they would have left the factory with this engine mapping / free lunch ;-). Turns out there is such a thing as a free lunch - in the Vauxhall canteen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
fryrpc said:
Do you know the location of the software update port - assuming it is not the OBDII port?
All updates etc are done through the OBD

·
Registered
190 Posts
New update.
After doing this reprogramming and driving for a month i can say that MPG is improving again. But I lost some power/torque under 1800rpm.
Its not so bad as it was on first impression but i still need to push car harder to get decent acceleration.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Icy said:
New update.
After doing this reprogramming and driving for a month i can say that MPG is improving again. But I lost some power/torque under 1800rpm.
Its not so bad as it was on first impression but i still need to push car harder to get decent acceleration.
So maybe the reason it uses more power at first is because of some adaptation data being erased, and when the car relearns those figures, it gets less thirsty..

The loss of power sounds a lot like the VW guys, that did rolling road tests to confirm that they had lost some horses and some torque's.

So if it was a 110 hp car before, now it is maybe only 100 hp.

I am still firm, i am going to avoid this update for as long as possible....Only reason to get it done now, is if it becomes a MOT failure in my country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Refuses the update at service qa my previous post.

They still all aqy a Safety Recall but suspect lack of clarity to Dealers is mainly at fault mw thinks smoke and mirrors job.

WHhen challenged about the letterbeing in RED Stating Safety Recall they had the cheek to rmw that was the thirf letter they had send and they alway say it is a safety recall and obv I missed 2 earlier letters.

Anyway now waiting for AA recovery as. My 50K miles cluth is playing up and that's another forum of soon and gloom. Can wait to see what my extended warranty really covers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tailchase1 said:
Refuses the update at service qa my previous post.

They still all aqy a Safety Recall but suspect lack of clarity to Dealers is mainly at fault mw thinks smoke and mirrors job.

WHhen challenged about the letterbeing in RED Stating Safety Recall they had the cheek to rmw that was the thirf letter they had send and they alway say it is a safety recall and obv I missed 2 earlier letters.

Anyway now waiting for AA recovery as. My 50K miles cluth is playing up and that's another forum of soon and gloom. Can wait to see what my extended warranty really covers.
I had my clutch, salve cylinder, and dual mass flywheel replaced recently at 68k on my 66 plate using extended warranty was quite impressed was covered under the QBE warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son has just had the Customer Satisfaction recall for the software update, my advice was not to do it, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
As the objective is to reduce NOx emissions the only way you could do that (without an AdBlue system) would be to increase the amount of exhaust gas recirculation to reduce the O2 level in the air charge. This will reduce power, increase fuel consumption and lead to faster sooting up of the EGR valve, the same problems VW had when they were forced to change their software.
If he has to take the car in for a safety related recall the computer port will be sealed off with masking tape and signed with a felt pen and photographed and service reception will be given a letter stating that under no circumstances are they permitted to update the software under threat of legal action.
Hi
Interesting comment about EGR valve, I had this update carried out recently and one week later engine management light comes on permanently taken in for diagnostic and now need new EGR valve and cooler at a cost of approx £1000 for parts😡
Dealer recommended talking to Vauxhall Customer Service who deny its related and have offered a voucher towards cost of work which is still leaving me about a £1000 out of pocket, even though car is 5 years old with 60000 miles on clock and full service history with there approved dealers😡😡
Has anyone else experienced this and issues with Customer Service attitude? i.e I was not happy with agents offer and asked to speak to someone more senior only to be told that’s not possible I am the manager of your case etc😡😡😡

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi
Interesting comment about EGR valve, I had this update carried out recently and one week later engine management light comes on permanently taken in for diagnostic and now need new EGR valve and cooler at a cost of approx £1000 for parts😡
Dealer recommended talking to Vauxhall Customer Service who deny its related and have offered a voucher towards cost of work which is still leaving me about a £1000 out of pocket, even though car is 5 years old with 60000 miles on clock and full service history with there approved dealers😡😡
Has anyone else experienced this and issues with Customer Service attitude? i.e I was not happy with agents offer and asked to speak to someone more senior only to be told that’s not possible I am the manager of your case etc😡😡😡
As your car is out of warranty, you are lucky to get an offer towards the repair cost from vaux customer services. One of the reasons I've taken out an extended warranty with vaux, which adds to the cost.
Yes the 1.6d engine can be problematic within many ways, as I well know, having previously owned one. Mine started showing the dreaded timing chain issues with under half the mileage yours had covered. At that point vaux offered no solution to repair, just the usual response "it's an engine characteristic".

·
Registered
3 Posts
That has just happened to me last night. Took the car to garage a couple of weeks ago for this recall. Last night the Engine Management Light came on. I am just about to contact my garage so hope that I am not faced with the same issue.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts