Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I fuel economy has dropped from around 60-61 to 54-55(on computer).
Do we know whether actual fuel consumption is affected, or whether they have just made the computer calculation more accurate (because we all know it has been about 15% overstated)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do we know whether actual fuel consumption is affected, or whether they have just made the computer calculation more accurate (because we all know it has been about 15% overstated)?
Well that's what I'm waiting to find out. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do we know when the recall was announced?
I got my Astra second hand in August 2021 and it had the cam belt timing chain replaced at a main dealer in August 2020. I am just wondering if the update would of been performed at the same time because I can never get above 620 miles range on a full tank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do we know when the recall was announced?
I got my Astra second hand in August 2021 and it had the cam belt timing chain replaced at a main dealer in August 2020. I am just wondering if the update would of been performed at the same time because I can never get above 620 miles range on a full tank
Around August this year

·
Registered
20 Posts
Around August this year
ok thanks, would this recall be shown as outstanding on the gov website?
I have emailed the dealer to request what work was carried out so hopefully they will get back to soon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has any noticed any changes in mpg or performance? I have mines booked in for timing chain fault but they will not look at it until the update is done. I spoke to vauxhall directly they told me the recall is in red and has to be carried out if the vehicle is bought in. Also was told they will update the ecu to control how the lambda control system works

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Has any noticed any changes in mpg or performance? I have mines booked in for timing chain fault but they will not look at it until the update is done. I spoke to vauxhall directly they told me the recall is in red and has to be carried out if the vehicle is bought in. Also was told they will update the ecu to control how the lambda control system works
If a costumer asks the dealer to do some work, and specifically says NOT to do the firmware update, honestly, they would be idiots to say that they WILL do it.

To be honest, the only thing accomplished is that the costumer can no longer use vauxhall for any kind of service or repair.

It is going to be a cold day in hell, before i bring in my car to have the software updated to comply with some regulative, if this means that my car will have poorer MPG.

Also...How on earth will an increase in fuel consumption equate to better emissions ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, mine has been awful since, like I said revs higher at tick over, auto box gear change is at higher revs, dpf seems to regen every 50 miles(all I do is motorway miles!). Awful now, going to contact them after new year.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, mine has been awful since, like I said revs higher at tick over, auto box gear change is at higher revs, dpf seems to regen every 50 miles(all I do is motorway miles!). Awful now, going to contact them after new year.
Can they take this update off is the question ? I suppose anything is poss but prob some clause to make the customer pay for that !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can they take this update off is the question ? I suppose anything is poss but prob some clause to make the customer pay for that !
I'm sure all things can be reversed when a teradine is attached... Like you say, they will probably try and charge for it..... I'm disgusted by it, was a great car before, now I don't like it anymore

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm sure all things can be reversed when a teradine is attached... Like you say, they will probably try and charge for it..... I'm disgusted by it, was a great car before, now I don't like it anymore
I think many others are in your situation too Coopercok , had update done and car is worse for it.
Just seems a quick way for VX to get around an emissions issue and basically sod the customer.
VW forever doing updates as well and not all owners happy.

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
Mine doesn't seem any different after the update, I had it done in August last year, and haven't noticed any reduction in performance, or fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Maybe manual box is not so noticeable
Or maybe there is a difference in the effects, based on what type of the engine (110, 136, 160 hp) is in the cars. I think Q is the only one in this thread that has the 160 hp variant.

Or maybe those with the 160 hp variant has a more lead'y foot, and thus, had "terrible" mileage to begin with :LOL: :LOL:

I know that the offical mpg figures for the 136 hp variant is lower than the official figures for the 110 hp, so i would imagine the 160 being lower that the 136 hp variant....But the 160 hp variant being more fun to drive :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Has anyone else noticed any differences since having the recall. A lot of people say no difference or people say the car is awful and completely different??

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The perceived differences in performance and reduced fuel mileage could be down to varying amounts of wear (timing chain,turbo etc) plus varying amounts of carbonisation in the inlet tract and sensors and other variables,no doubt the up date was developed on a new engine and won't be taking any of this into account.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hello again guys and happy new year, I came back to this forum after some time and damn, this thread reached five pages.. Anyways, I still didn't update my ECU, as here where I live (Serbia) it's not mandatory to do this type of recalls if you want to sell your vehicle or register it, but my friend who recently bought 2. hand 1.6 CDTI 110hp Astra 2016 (same as mine, just black) did this recall. They told him that it won't affect his engine performance or fuel consumption, but I think it did. His Astra is doing DPF regenerations more frequently (I'm talking about hidden regenerations without light on the dashboard), and when I tried his car I felt that it's "lazier" then mine (maybe it's just placebo). I highly doubt that they are saying truth about lowering emissions without affecting performance. They probably did same thing VW did with their dieselgate affair, and now they try to fix it with lowering power of the engines and with more frequent DPF regenerations..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all! I got mine updated today. It's a 1.6 110 engine, manual transmission. I haven't had the chance to do a good long trip but I noticed it accelerates a bit better than before, especially when on third gear and higher revs. The reason might be the fuel filter change which has not been done the last few services so just a reminder to you fellow drivers - change the fuel filter more frequently.

As for the firmware update... I will write a few lines if I notice anything unusual. The guy at the garage said there won't be any difference but I didn't expect him to say anything else. I will be doing an MOT soon too.

I doubt I would have done the update if I've read this thread first but I am really hoping it is for the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It looks like its not a mandatory update i raised the case with Vauxhall directly who in turn spoke to the dealership and relayed the info to them and agreed that they will not do the update. Vauxhall also warned me that in the future it might fail an MOT due to the emissions and simply if it does fail just have the update for free to fix it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have some perceived differences after the update. so what i am gonna write is 100% subjective :)
  • the revving ramp up seems to be longer. what i mean: before, when i pressed the accelerator "wee bit enthusiastically" i was smoking the front tyres. still does it but not as quickly :(
  • fuel consumption figures from the boardcomputer seems to be more accurate (before, it displayed really low numbers)
  • since i mostly drive on motorways i didn't notice anything with the DPF regen cycles or whatever they are called.

so far, my xp has been negative with this update.

why did i do it? i didn't! the goddamn service shop (authorized) did it w/o my authorization! we are now in an arbitration process.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts