Service ESC Message

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Lovey_93

Service ESC Message

Post by Lovey_93 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi All,

New to this forum, but the reason I’ve created an account is I have a problem with my 1.6 TDI Astra. (5 years old) - 25k on the clock..

Just recently, my engine management light has been flashing orange when driving & it comes up with a message on the dash saying ‘Service ESC’. The engine is juddering & when I turn the engine off - the fan just whirls. Slight strange noise when the engine starts too.

As anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Service ESC Message

Post by astraowner » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 am

This is a case of the "Get the codes read" this way we dont need to play "Guess the errorcode" game.

Even the cheapest ELM327 china reader will be able to read out fault codes from the Engine ECU.

When you go to the doctor he also needs to take some measurements before he is able to diagnose your problem and prescribe you some medicin to cure the illness :)

To me it sounds like your problem might be something that will just get worse until the engine destroys itself, so get the codes read out and the problem solved, before potentially damaging the engine any further.

Had it been the 1.4 petrol, i would have said knackered engine with your symptoms but have never heard of this, happening on the diesel as LSPI is a petrol thing.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi
Your "service electronic stability control" will more than likely be a consequence of your engine running badly. The engine ecu will not permit the esc module to control it, should it need to and the module is informing you of this. As previously said you need the codes reading. Try to post back on your results

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm

I've had a service ESC on my 1.6 CDTi as well. It would only appear whenever the car struggled to start (weather or how long the car wasn't used wasn't factor).

It would still run and drive fine. If I switched off the engine and start it again the message wouldn't show up anymore either.

Spoke to a friend, local mechanic/electrician and he said there's a few things that could cause this but in my case, since it happens only when my Astra struggled to start, it could be the battery.

Battery was changed and problem never returned.

P.S. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out more, as some people here seem to just post smart ass useless responses.
Cars I owned:
- Peugeot 206 Verve, 5dr, 1.4 Petrol 2006
- Vauxhall Corsa E Limited Edition, 3dr, 1.4 Petrol (90bhp), 2015
- Vauxhall Astra K SRi Nav, 5dr, 1.6 CDTi (136bhp), 2016
- Ford Focus ST-Line X, 5dr Estate, 1.5 EcoBlue (120bhp), 2019 (Current car)

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Post by Kcirtap » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Vayerr wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm
I've had a service ESC on my 1.6 CDTi as well. It would only appear whenever the car struggled to start (weather or how long the car wasn't used wasn't factor).

It would still run and drive fine. If I switched off the engine and start it again the message wouldn't show up anymore either.

Spoke to a friend, local mechanic/electrician and he said there's a few things that could cause this but in my case, since it happens only when my Astra struggled to start, it could be the battery.

Battery was changed and problem never returned.

P.S. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out more, as some people here seem to just post smart ass useless responses.
This is exactly what happened with my 1.6 110 over the winter.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:50 pm

I think the service esc can show if the battery voltage is low at the module (car idle for long period or failing battery) but in your particular case, with it being accompanied with the engine management light and poor running it maybe something else.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:23 am

Vayerr wrote:
In what way is the multiple comments asking the user to "Get the codes read" smartass comments ?

If the engine light is on or flashing there will be codes, the car does know something is wrong and the best way to find out what the problem with the car is, is to ask it nicely what the problem is.

Guessing usually only leads to an expensive blind swapping of parts until you run out of money or randomly changes whatever was causing the problem.

In most cases, blindly swapping is going to be more expensive than reading the codes or even taking it to the garage, that will read the code and change the one part that has gone bad.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am

astraowner wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:23 am
Vayerr wrote:
In what way is the multiple comments asking the user to "Get the codes read" smartass comments ?

If the engine light is on or flashing there will be codes, the car does know something is wrong and the best way to find out what the problem with the car is, is to ask it nicely what the problem is.

Guessing usually only leads to an expensive blind swapping of parts until you run out of money or randomly changes whatever was causing the problem.

In most cases, blindly swapping is going to be more expensive than reading the codes or even taking it to the garage, that will read the code and change the one part that has gone bad.
Never said checking codes is a bad idea lol. It's usually where you start. Some people on the forum simply post useless comments etc often not related to the original matter. It's kinda annoying. Just hope he'll get as much straight to the point advice as possible.
Cars I owned:
- Peugeot 206 Verve, 5dr, 1.4 Petrol 2006
- Vauxhall Corsa E Limited Edition, 3dr, 1.4 Petrol (90bhp), 2015
- Vauxhall Astra K SRi Nav, 5dr, 1.6 CDTi (136bhp), 2016
- Ford Focus ST-Line X, 5dr Estate, 1.5 EcoBlue (120bhp), 2019 (Current car)