Fault Code P0299 Turbo Underboost

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
raid33

Fault Code P0299 Turbo Underboost

Post by raid33 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:47 pm

As the title says really! I've had a fault of P0299 come back on my Astra and was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar issue?

Can anyone advise of any things that I could check for before I throw in the towel and chuck it at a garage? (when they open again) Like replacing hoses or anything like that?

Thanks!

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Re: Fault Code P0299 Turbo Underboost

Post by 880PEL » Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 pm

It refers to leakage. Pipes or clamps or intercooler...
It needs further ivestigation under bonnet.

Benajepson93

Post by Benajepson93 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:38 pm

I have the same fault. I have it booked in the garage on the 8th June! Iv has a message pop up saying reduced engine power for sometime now.

I lost power on Saturday and the engine management light came on. I restarted the car and I have power again but the light is still showing

raid33

Post by raid33 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Mine goes away after a while (few days) and has yet to re-appear but i'd still like to get it fixed.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Did you guys get any resolution on this.

My 1.6 Diesel just did this to me today.

Have been travelling about 800 miles in the past 2 days. After about 600 we had stopped in Germany for supplies (Coke, candy and so on)

We had just been travelling slowly for 30 minutes because of the border now has someone checking you before entry again, and when i put it on the motorway, and accelerated, it did just fine but suddenly it sort of gave a jerk, and lost power and would be really weak.

No revving over 3000 RPM, and engine light on and clearly in limp home.

Next motorway stop i pulled in, read the codes with a cheap ELM327 i alwaysh have in the car and the code was P0299

Tried stopping the car, went to use the restroom and started up the car again, but the engine light persisted.

Screenshotted the error code on my phone and cleared the code.

Engine light disappeared, and i drove the car the last 200 miles home without any problems. Car did not feel down on power and i tried repeating the same kind of acceleration, and the light did not reappear.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

raid33

Post by raid33 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

astraowner wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 pm
Did you guys get any resolution on this.

My 1.6 Diesel just did this to me today.

Have been travelling about 800 miles in the past 2 days. After about 600 we had stopped in Germany for supplies (Coke, candy and so on)

We had just been travelling slowly for 30 minutes because of the border now has someone checking you before entry again, and when i put it on the motorway, and accelerated, it did just fine but suddenly it sort of gave a jerk, and lost power and would be really weak.

No revving over 3000 RPM, and engine light on and clearly in limp home.

Next motorway stop i pulled in, read the codes with a cheap ELM327 i alwaysh have in the car and the code was P0299

Tried stopping the car, went to use the restroom and started up the car again, but the engine light persisted.

Screenshotted the error code on my phone and cleared the code.

Engine light disappeared, and i drove the car the last 200 miles home without any problems. Car did not feel down on power and i tried repeating the same kind of acceleration, and the light did not reappear.
No not really mate sorry, I still get it from time to time (rarely) I’ve basically just been carrying on as normal. I took it into a garage and they just said “run a tank of v-power through it once a month and you’ll be ok”... I’m no mechanic but that sounds a bit... odd. Anyway touch wood I haven’t had it for a couple of months now. But I’ll post here if it comes back and what I’m doing to sort it.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm

raid33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

No not really mate sorry, I still get it from time to time (rarely) I’ve basically just been carrying on as normal. I took it into a garage and they just said “run a tank of v-power through it once a month and you’ll be ok”... I’m no mechanic but that sounds a bit... odd. Anyway touch wood I haven’t had it for a couple of months now. But I’ll post here if it comes back and what I’m doing to sort it.
Bummer.

I drove the car to and from work today, tried provoking it by using the lead foot, but was unable to get it to fail again, so i am just going to assume that it was a specific rare chain of events and that i am not likely to see it again.

Car was pretty heavily loaded, with lots of cans of cola and i also had the wife in the car, so probably close to max weight which could also be a factor.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

raid33

Post by raid33 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm
raid33 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Bummer.

I drove the car to and from work today, tried provoking it by using the lead foot, but was unable to get it to fail again, so i am just going to assume that it was a specific rare chain of events and that i am not likely to see it again.

Car was pretty heavily loaded, with lots of cans of cola and i also had the wife in the car, so probably close to max weight which could also be a factor.
I found that I usually get the error when overtaking on the motorway.

If i'm in 6th already and then put my foot down to get past somebody that's usually when I get it.

It's been a bit of an odd one but thankfully hasn't returned.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:10 pm

raid33 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm

I found that I usually get the error when overtaking on the motorway.

If i'm in 6th already and then put my foot down to get past somebody that's usually when I get it.

It's been a bit of an odd one but thankfully hasn't returned.
That is also almost the same i saw.

Just entering the motorway, heavily loaded car, up to about 100 kph, and wanted to switch to the outside lane to overtake a lorry, so foot firmly on the floor in 5th gear and boom....Power loss, 3000 RPM max.

Viking

Post by Viking » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:03 pm

I had this fault some time ago and got it fixed under warranty .
As I remember the dealer replaced a valve for the turbo.
Never got the details, but it must be the valve that controls the turbo variable vane actuator or the wastegate.