Dashboard rattling

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
MrDeath

Dashboard rattling

Post by MrDeath » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Maybe it's stupid to ask I don't know but when you guys drive on pavement does your dashboard rattle? Mine does. I've only got 3500 km on the car and it rattles when I'm driving on pavement. It's not very loud but it's there. If I'm playing music it's not noticeable but still. Can't remember if it rattled at the start cause I was always driving with music on (to be fair I think it didn't) but now it does and it bugs me a lot. I don't know if should say something to the dealer, I've heard that even BMW and AUDIs rattle that's why I'm asking you guys.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Dashboard rattling

Post by nsanderson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm

It's normally my wife's sunglasses case that rattles about in the glovebox. Apart from that, at over 4 years old, my K is rattle and squeak free.
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:14 pm

There are lots of solutions for rattles on here. If you can be more specific then maybe yours can be solved.

I wouldn’t go back to dealer on the basis they will probably achieve nothing but waste your time, but you never know.
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

MrDeath

Post by MrDeath » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:47 am

Well I'll try even tho English is not my first language. Here's the deal my gauges, the speedometer and... revmeter (is that the word) when I drive on pavement they rattle. They are not loose per say but if I press them in with my thumbs - the rattling's gone. It's not the worst thing in the world but it is quite annoying.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Shaky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Nothing wrong with your English at all MrDeath although revmeter is either Tachometer or rev-counter but we still all know what you mean :)

I would've thought that the clocks rattling is something that surely should come under a warranty fix/replacement as they can be pretty sensitive items these days. Also, that would annoy the HELL out of me :evil:

If the car is under warranty, I would personally take it back unless you're feeling competent enough to have a quick look yourself ? Can't see it being that easy to get into the bowels of that area of the dashboard though.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

MrDeath

Post by MrDeath » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Oh no, no, I ain't touching anything myself :D and yeah I bought the car in December last year so I've got another 4.7 years of warranty. My point was if that was a normal phenomenon or not and also needed an advise about this being a dealer worthy issue (if I could put it that way). Didn't want to go and tell them "You know my gauges rattle" and get a "Deal with it that's normal". I guess I'll give 'em a call after that whole Corona bollocks calms down. Thanks for the tips guys and stay safe!

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm

I had these symptoms.

My solution :-

Firstly, get some stiff black foam. I used some that was used to display a carving knife in its glory within its packaging.

There were 2 areas to fix in my case.

The first is to cut a 1cm x1cm x 1cm piece, and force it between the plastic ‘funnel’ of the speedo and the surrounding dashboard - roughly at the 2 o’clock position. Use A screwdriver or something. This keeps the plastic ‘bezel’ that surrounds the instruments in tension, rather than it being free to rattle.

The second is a bit more delicate. I found that the plastic bezel around the driver’s information display rattles against the lcd panel. To fix this I took a tiny piece of the foam - about 4mm x4mm x 4mm and positioned it between the bezel and the LCD at the top right corner. The trick here is to separate the two but leave only the smallest piece of foam visible (on close inspection only).

These measures fixed a rattle dashboard for me and are non invasive (ie you don’t have to take anything apart).

You could go to a dealer of course, if you fancy them taking your dashboard apart and not creating more problems than they solve.

Hope it helps.
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

MrDeath

Post by MrDeath » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Dang it I really don't know, I mean first of all it doesn't rattle all the time. Sometimes it doesn't and I always check on the same paved road. At first I thought that it doesn't when it's cold and everything is stiff but yesterday was a pretty hot day and it didn't. This method of fixing the issue sounds good but I'm really not the handiest dude in the world (and I hope they won't ef it up more) besides I really need to address some other minor issues like the... pointer... needle (what's the word ffs XD) of the temperature gauge staying just a tad after the middle (guess it's not centered well) and also going in reverse after just starting the car comes with a hrrr sound unless I don't do a few "dry" shifts beforehand. I mean I bought a new car and all those things are annoying the hell outta me even tho they don't look serious or at least I hope they aren't.