The place to discuss everything else..
Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Re: 2035

Post by Markot1989 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 am

MrSM82 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:35 am
Something like 60% of people don't have access to off street parking capable of having a charge point at home. Genius planning from the government.
Where I stay is relatively light density flats compared to alot of inner city areas. Blocks of 4 or 6 essentially. I'd estimate there are around 80-100 cars parked along our street over night whether parallel or in the proper bays. There was a suggestion a while ago about tapping power from lamp posts. This wouldn't even tickle the issue in our street given there are maybe 16 max. If there were designated bays for electric cars there would 100% be scraps in the street with folk hogging them all the time or others parking in them.

With current designs if you use a 3 pin socket from the house it will take somewhere between 18-22 hours to charge a car. Obviously superchargers will bring this down. The Porsche Taycan using a 2KW charger can hit 80% in 20 minutes now. The strain on the national grid will be crippling if everyone got home and plugged their cars in between 4-7 each night.

They are talking about testing hydrogen powered aircraft now, Bill Gates has also built a new super yacht which runs on it. So clearly he is looking down that route as the most viable current option. I agree it takes alot of energy to produce hydrogen fuel, but it can be done cleanly. There are a few folk dotted around the UK doing it just now.

Has anyone noticed if there is anything about banning LPG? Or has that fuel been totally forgotten about?

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

Not many people talk about LPG here in the UK I've noticed but elsewhere in Europe, especially Poland it's super common. Almost every other car has LPG installation cause it's worth it in the long term.

Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Post by Markot1989 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Vayerr wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am
Not many people talk about LPG here in the UK I've noticed but elsewhere in Europe, especially Poland it's super common. Almost every other car has LPG installation cause it's worth it in the long term.
There are a few petrol stations around Paisley / Glasgow which still have the pumps but I've never seen anyone using them. Seems to be the forgotten fuel here as it is rarely mentioned.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”