The place to discuss everything else..
PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 am

As from 2035 the government planning on banning all petrol cars and diesel cars and forcing is to go electric. If i still have my car in 15years time. I will miss my matrix lights on my car. We will look back and say yeah those were the days. And look now shit shit shit. Nearly £30,000 basic for a electric car now only does what 150miles b4 charging

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: 2035

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:15 am

I was reading a what car article yesterday , the government seems to think that electric cars will be priced similar to petrol/diesel cars in 5 years time.yeah right !!!! They said technology would of moved on again so to enable electric cars manufacturers charging lower prices.
What is the world coming to , my 3 kids don't know what's coming !

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:24 am

PACMANIA wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 am
As from 2035 the government planning on banning all petrol cars and diesel cars and forcing is to go electric. If i still have my car in 15years time. I will miss my matrix lights on my car. We will look back and say yeah those were the days. And look now shit shit shit. Nearly £30,000 basic for a electric car now only does what 150miles b4 charging
I understand it to mean the manufacturer's can't make petrol and diesel cars after that date. So I presume anything made before, you can keep it on the road until spares cease or you are forced to scrap it due to excessive road tax.

Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Post by Markot1989 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:56 am

Hydrogen / hybrid is basically the solution here rather than full plug in electric if we are to scrap fossil fuels. The national grid are already warning that the infrastructure isn't there to supply the required power. That is before you get to the issues with people living in flats for example not being able to easily charge their cars.

It would be a far cheaper option to change all the pumps over at petrol stations. At present a 700bar compressor / pump for filling the few hydrogen vehicles on the road will set you back around £1m. Obviously as this is in limited demand the price is high. There are a couple of companies in the UK currently using renewable energy to run their hydrogen plants, so in theory is should be relatively clean to produce the fuel as well.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 pm

I came across this in Professional Engineer Mag letters some time ago:

"A light hybrid with a liquid methane IC or turbine engine, that has a combustion temperature limit of 1,800 degC.

The battery damage to the environment would be limited and cost less, but meet inner-city needs.

The e-motors would be smaller limiting rare-earth metal damage and cost. CO2 would be limited by one carbon atom in CH4, and the low temperature combustion limits NOx production.

Also, no big problems for CO2 production by power stations and an overloaded grid. Also no range anxiety.

Downside is methane distribution and production, but solve-able."

Seemed like a good idea to me.

Shame Government advisors are not Professional Engineers - or at least are not reading the Mag.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 pm

I think the price of the electric car will come down to parity levels.

Solid State Batteries seems like a game changer....1½ times the energy density compared to lithium ion and at 70% the cost.

This means that the price will go down, and weight will go down.

To be honest, if there were any sort of financial parity or gain, i would gladly swap our 1.0 Corsa for an electric, this is our city hopper car, that rarely does more than 10 miles in one run. But right now i am not able to calculate anything that gives me just close to price parity, not even when calculating over 6 years of ownership.

I mean, look at the price difference between a new Corsa and the new E-Corsa.

How they are going to sell the E-Corsa is a mystery to me. Who would want a much more expensive variant with all the weaknesses, like limited range, (especially if you venture onto the motorway), prolonged "refuelling" and limited "fuel stations".
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Bogbody

Post by Bogbody » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:08 pm

2035? Nope .... it'll be put back and put back.
Politicians cant plan any further than the next election.
I cant see the current design and type of electric still being offered for sale in 15 years time. They use far too many exotic and expensive raw materials.
A different chemistry/design of battery is sorely needed - electric power via batteries is, I think, the wrong direction.
There are hints of new technologies - I just hope that blindly following the Electric Mantra does not lock out any other emerging technology.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:09 pm

They say that hydrogen is not good as it requires a lot of energy, compared to pure electric.

But if a hydrogen generator was "cheap" one could buy one of those, a tank to store it, a solar panel on the roof and water from a well and then we could make it ourselves.

The nice thing for politicians, when they say "In 15 years we want this to happen" is that they are usually not around when the date arrives, and can therefor not be held accountable.

So they want to look firm and resourceful, so they talk about something like this, but in reality it will never go as fast as they "dream" up right now.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 pm

I don’t know how this will turn out, but I’m minded to remember the vacuum cleaner furores a few years ago - the EU announced that of a certain date in the not too distant future, vacuum cleaners sold in the EU could be a maximum of (I think) 750W compared with the 1500-2000 W models then available.

There was talk of never having clean carpets again, and buying-up old models to have a lifetime supply.

What actually happened was manufacturers got their thinking caps on and developed much more efficient cleaners, leaving us now in a situation where a 750W machine is superior in many regards, not just suction, than their ancestors. ‘Needs Must’ is a powerful innovator.
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:35 am

Something like 60% of people don't have access to off street parking capable of having a charge point at home. Genius planning from the government.