Help, Lane Guidence etc

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Gnats

Help, Lane Guidence etc

Post by Gnats » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

I purchased a 66 plate CDTi SRi Astra end of November which has Lane Guidance and Collision Detection. I don’t feel it is working as it should, both seem to work intermittently and can turn on and off at will even with the same weather, lighting, quality of road marking and road conditions.
But at other times it works very well, am I expecting too much from the system ie, Sunday when following cars the collision detection system hardly functioned. I have taken it to the garage and they have taken it on a test drive and said they can’t find a fault, the diagnostics doesn’t show up a fault either. But I just feel something isn’t quite right, it is also meant to give an audible warning if you change lanes without warning but this hardly happens either and again I am not sure under what circumstances this is meant to happen. I also asked the garage to make sure the car had the latest version of software installed how can I check this. And lastly they fitted a Road Angel Pro for me and now occasionally the Road Angel says low voltage detected when starting the car.
The car was purchased from a Drive Vauxhall dealer so I expected them to know the technology, but they couldn’t tell me initially what to expect the the Lane Guidance and collision detection. I do have a rough video of this, haven’t uploaded it but can do.
I would really appreciate the groups help and suggestions

stokoe

Re: Help, Lane Guidence etc

Post by stokoe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Gnats wrote:I purchased a 66 plate CDTi SRi Astra end of November which has Lane Guidance and Collision Detection. I don’t feel it is working as it should, both seem to work intermittently and can turn on and off at will even with the same weather, lighting, quality of road marking and road conditions.
But at other times it works very well, am I expecting too much from the system ie, Sunday when following cars the collision detection system hardly functioned. I have taken it to the garage and they have taken it on a test drive and said they can’t find a fault, the diagnostics doesn’t show up a fault either. But I just feel something isn’t quite right, it is also meant to give an audible warning if you change lanes without warning but this hardly happens either and again I am not sure under what circumstances this is meant to happen. I also asked the garage to make sure the car had the latest version of software installed how can I check this. And lastly they fitted a Road Angel Pro for me and now occasionally the Road Angel says low voltage detected when starting the car.
The car was purchased from a Drive Vauxhall dealer so I expected them to know the technology, but they couldn’t tell me initially what to expect the the Lane Guidance and collision detection. I do have a rough video of this, haven’t uploaded it but can do.
you dont get an audible warning if you change lanes without indicating you should feel the steering correct you.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

the only time i have had any problems with the system has been when the windscreen has been dirty and is restricting the veiw of camera but i got a warning in display telling me it was not working, as for the lane guidence you dont get an audible warning but you should feel the steering correcting you from wandering into the other lane.

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm

I found that going to a dealer with the little things is pointless. Unless your engine is falling out of the car, they can't advise you or do anything useful. Or maybe I was just unlucky with... 5 different dealers...

Anyway. I have a 16 plate 1.6 CDTi SRi Nav and I have a camera based lane assist and collision detection. Just like yours... It works on and off. Its daft because sometimes it works on some dull dark A road with barely any road markings but doesn't work on a bright motorway with brand new lanes painted. Then again sometimes it's the other way round and doesn't work on A road but does on motorway. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't on the exact same stretch of road (just like yours).

The camera based technology is pretty bad. If it was radar it would have been much better.

As for the sound - The only sound I hear is if on a straight road with lane assist active I take my hands off the steering wheel. After around 30 secs I think the car starts to beep a bit and the lane assist starts flashing. I also get a message asking me to hold the steering wheel.

It's a nice feature to have but don't expect too much and please don't rely on it or you'll crash. I was testing it once and there was a bend. I was so happy of my fast reaction when the lane assist stopped working cause I wouldn't like my car kissing with a tree.
Cars I owned:
- Peugeot 206 Verve, 5dr, 1.4 Petrol 2006
- Vauxhall Corsa E Limited Edition, 3dr, 1.4 Petrol (90bhp), 2015
- Vauxhall Astra K SRi Nav, 5dr, 1.6 CDTi (136bhp), 2016
- Ford Focus ST-Line X, 5dr Estate, 1.5 EcoBlue (120bhp), 2019 (Current car)

MisterEChops

Post by MisterEChops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 am

Vayerr wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm
The camera based technology is pretty bad. If it was radar it would have been much better.

As for the sound - The only sound I hear is if on a straight road with lane assist active I take my hands off the steering wheel. After around 30 secs I think the car starts to beep a bit and the lane assist starts flashing. I also get a message asking me to hold the steering wheel.

It's a nice feature to have but don't expect too much and please don't rely on it or you'll crash. I was testing it once and there was a bend. I was so happy of my fast reaction when the lane assist stopped working cause I wouldn't like my car kissing with a tree.
Dude, to be frank... This is a budget hatchback. You're expecting too much considering the price point. Most cars at this price don't have the feature at all, or it costs extra!

One bit of advice though, turn the lane keeping off entirely and see how much better / different your car drives. I will LITERALLY NEVER switch it on again after feeling the difference. Steering is far better weighted and direct when the computer is not working to keep it straight all the time.

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 am

I'm not expecting much from any lane assistance or collision detection system, on any car. But I know and already stated - not to expect much from this feature on an Astra so maybe you've misquoted me?

As for turning it off completely, I'll give that a go. I always have it on, never use/rely on it and it very rarely works anyway... The first thing I turn off is Start/Stop. HATE IT. Don't even know if it works lol.
Cars I owned:
- Peugeot 206 Verve, 5dr, 1.4 Petrol 2006
- Vauxhall Corsa E Limited Edition, 3dr, 1.4 Petrol (90bhp), 2015
- Vauxhall Astra K SRi Nav, 5dr, 1.6 CDTi (136bhp), 2016
- Ford Focus ST-Line X, 5dr Estate, 1.5 EcoBlue (120bhp), 2019 (Current car)

MisterEChops

Post by MisterEChops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 am

Vayerr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 am
I'm not expecting much from any lane assistance or collision detection system, on any car. But I know and already stated - not to expect much from this feature on an Astra so maybe you've misquoted me?

As for turning it off completely, I'll give that a go. I always have it on, never use/rely on it and it very rarely works anyway... The first thing I turn off is Start/Stop. HATE IT. Don't even know if it works lol.
All I'm saying is... Don't expect anything from it at all! It's so bad.

Turn it off and see what you think, I always felt like the steering was a bit 'twitchy' by default with lane keeping on.

Oh me too, 2 buttons get pressed the second I get in the car: Start/Stop and the Sport button. And no, to answer your question Start/Stop does not save fuel, it only saves a bit of emissions. It's far worse for the car though, and terrible for the starter motor and battery.

Keithfranklin
Astra Model: Sri VX Line Nav 1.6T. i200
Astra Options: Nearly all. Too many to list.
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Keithfranklin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:23 am

I too have problems with Lane guidance, crash avoidance and blind spot alert.
Most of the time they work ok but occasionally they all act up.
Left hand blind spot only works below 30 mph while right hand one works at any speed. Lane guidance is very intermittent and crash avoidance is totally dependant on battery voltage and how clean windscreen is.
And in really heavy rain none of them work especially doing 70 on motorway in rain.
Astra Sri VX-Line Nav 1.6t i200 Advanced parking, AGR Seats, Intellilux lights, Sunroof, Climate Control, Spare Wheel, Summit White, Tinted rear windows, Electric folding door mirrors, Wellness system.Blue Brake Calipers, OPC-Line.

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:37 am

So far I´ve discovered that the main factor for camera-based function (Intellilux functionality; lane assistance; traffic sign reading) disturbance is mist between camera lense and windscreen!
Car can actually read out very poorly marked lanes even in snowy conditions :)

Looks like adaptive cruise depends in addition to radar also on camera.

I´ve even been thinking that perhaps I should built a low-powered electric heater around camera. Just to keep it clear from mist. It´s the point that becomes foggy first due to closed body design.

Gnats

Post by Gnats » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am

I appreciate all your comments, I did wonder if expecting the system to actually work for the majority of the time was being optimistic.
So how do I find out what version of software is running and what is the latest version?

Thanks

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:27 am

stokoe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm
Gnats wrote:I purchased a 66 plate CDTi SRi Astra end of November which has Lane Guidance and Collision Detection. I don’t feel it is working as it should, both seem to work intermittently and can turn on and off at will even with the same weather, lighting, quality of road marking and road conditions.
you dont get an audible warning if you change lanes without indicating you should feel the steering correct you.
Hi

Mine bleeps at me if I fail to indicate when pulling back into the left hand lane.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.