How Good Is Vauxhalls Automatic Transmission?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: How Good Is Vauxhalls Automatic Transmission?

Post by astraowner » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am

rallyman1 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am
MisterEchops you have your opinion I have mine, I am not the one who is kidding anyone I am stating my opinion of auto and manual how you can say a auto user's less fuel that is not my experience after 40yrs of driving them and paying for the fuel that's my Opinion
From what i can see, NEDC says that a 2016 Astra Automatic does 22,2 Kilometers per liter, and the same car, with the same 1.6 diesel engine and a manual transmission does 27,6

From what i have experienced and heard from other people's experience, the automatic gearbox makes a car do less MPG.

So i agree, that your views are right.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Maauru
Astra Model: Dynamic 1.4T 150PS AT6
Astra Options: Automatic Climate Control, Winter Pack 1

Post by Maauru » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am

I really like automatic in Astra, it is very smooth and give you feeling you are driving car class above than Astra is :)

And transmission is GM one, basically 6T40 in smallr housing and lighter.
This is transmission code from MyOpel (I have Opel as I live in EU). I think it is new transmission designed for Chevrolet Cruize and Astra with 1.4T SIDI engines.

TRANS-AUTO 6-SPEED 6T35 GEN3

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 pm

I have an automatic and it must be widely different that other owners in here.

It's fine and does its job but I can't say I don't feel it's shifting or that it's "butter smooth"

A colegue of mine has a Golf with DSG and it's a way nicer experience to drive.

GenaFrog
Astra Model: Sports Tourer SRi NAV 1.4i Turbo (150) Automatic
Astra Options: Metallic paint, Parking distance sensors.
Astra Colour: Granite Grey

Post by GenaFrog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 pm

I have an automatic 1.4 Sri Sports Tourer and it drives beautifully. I have never had any trouble with it and it’s coming up to its 3rd birthday at the beginning of March. Admittedly I have done less than 15,000 miles but I was absolutely in love with everything about the car.
Mine is on lease from motability so it’s going back as I’m having a MINI Cooper S instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gena

2017 Sports Tourer SRi NAV 1.4iT(150) Auto
in Granite Grey

MisterEChops

Post by MisterEChops » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 am

rallyman1 wrote:
quote]MisterEchops you have your opinion I have mine, I am not the one who is kidding anyone I am stating my opinion of auto and manual how you can say a auto user's less fuel that is not my experience after 40yrs of driving them and paying for the fuel that's my Opinion
I understand where you're coming from and I'm not trying to have a go, but your opinion is only based off anecdotal evidence (which is not what we use to make decisions). The fact is, and has been so for a long time that an auto box is more efficient overall than a manual transmission.

Go and check out the real world fuel usage figures on new cars between the auto and manual model... I'll wait.

Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Post by Markot1989 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 am

rallyman1 wrote:
MisterEChops wrote:
rallyman1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am
I Have a Astra 1.4 Turbo Elite Auto
3yrs young The Gearbox is smooth and you do not feel the gears changing up or down cannot fault it and that is after 3yrs but I must agree petrol consumption is not impressive but that is the same with any auto box you do lose mpg compared to manual gearboxes that is my honest opinion I will stick to Automatics the choice is yours
Yeah, that's not really how it works... The auto box uses less fuel in real world than a manual trans does.

If any of you think you can shift better or more efficiently than a computer can, you are absolutely kidding yourself!
MisterEchops you have your opinion I have mine, I am not the one who is kidding anyone I am stating my opinion of auto and manual how you can say a auto user's less fuel that is not my experience after 40yrs of driving them and paying for the fuel that's my Opinion

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Have to agree with you, I've never known an auto to get anywhere near let alone beat the equivalent manual on fuel. The gap has certainly closed over the last 15 years as they've added more ratios but, there is still a distinguishable difference.

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

According to sprintmonitor.de I can show a sample:
Corsa E 2016-2018 with 1,4 90hp engine, min 1500km covered.
Manual transmission AVG - 6,49l/100km
Semi-automatic transmission AVG - 6,60l/100km
Automatic transmission - 7,13l/100km

It´s basically a fact that automatic transmission is less fuel-efficient as it has to run additional oil pump.
...but 1l/100km is low price to pay for this extra comfort in my mind.

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:47 am

Of course an automatic do less mpg than a manual. Maybe not as much as it once was but you don't get automatic gear changes for free.

Pug50
Astra Model: Elite ST 1.4T Auto

Post by Pug50 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am

Of course the only ones to come close to being more economical are the DSG cars, particularly the ones where DSG has the advantage of an extra gear compared with the manual version.

Unfortunately, the dry-clutch 7-speed DSG in the smaller engined VAG cars has a terrible reliability record. I was considering getting one, but bought a 1.4T Astra instead for a tiny bit less jeopardy.

But conventional automatics not only have one or more pumps but also a torque converter which inevitably saps some energy.

That said, my general driving style in an auto is much more relaxed and less rushed compared with when I drive a manual so that probably offsets it a lot for me personally.

Splint
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI Sports Tourer 136 HP
Astra Options: Automatic, business line,
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by Splint » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Hello
I own an Astra Sports Tourer 1.6 cdti 136 bhp, automatic. The car is from 2018 and until now it has done 45.000 km. The awarrage consumption is 5.5 liters per 100 kilometres. I am sattisfied with the gearboks and I always prefer an gearbox with converter instead of CVT og DSG. CVT feels lifeles and my previous passat (2009) had problems with the DSG. I have owened a Mercedes 350 CDI automatic and CLS Shooting Brake also 350. I think that the Mercedes gearbox is slow in shifting when kickdow is done and the gearbox does need oilchange at around 50.000 km. The same was for the DSG box in my old passat. Now I also own the BMW G31 530 xdrive and that is the far best automatic gearbox I have been drivinig with. The Astra automatic is far away from the BMW ZF gearbox, but so is the price om the BMW. But for the money I have spended on the Astra, the gearbox is quite hold. In my opinion better and more reliabile than the DSG and more fun to drive with than the CVT gearbox.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”