How Good Is Vauxhalls Automatic Transmission?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
NorthMelbourneRoo's

How Good Is Vauxhalls Automatic Transmission?

Post by NorthMelbourneRoo's » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 pm

Currently got a manual 1.0 Astra Sri, however I thinking about getting a 2016 1.4T SRI in an Auto.

I haven't heard much about Vauxhalls Automatic transmissions so just wondering how it compares to VW's DSG which seems to get a lot of praise?

Quite a tidy output from the 1.4 too, didn't realize how much bhp it had.

MisterEChops

Re: How Good Is Vauxhalls Automatic Transmission?

Post by MisterEChops » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

NorthMelbourneRoo's wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 pm
I haven't heard much about Vauxhalls Automatic transmissions so just wondering how it compares to VW's DSG which seems to get a lot of praise?
Seems to get a lot of praise? You must be reading some very strange publications if that's the case.

In real world terms? A DSG shifts gears quicker than a traditional torque converter (what the Astra has) but a DSG has some gigantic downsides.

As they use 2 clutches, there's guaranteed to be higher cost of ownership over the life of the car - especially if you crawl in stop-start traffic regularly.

You don't want a DSG.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:04 am

When i was looking at buying an astra i looked at automatic, but i found that the fuel figures for automatic vs manual was high.

Here we do kilometers per liter, and i think it was something like 28 kpl for manual and 22 kpl for automatic.

This was offcourse the old NEDC that was not very accurate, but compared it was still 20% less kpl/mpg

Dont know about real world figures, but the road tax in my country, if you compare 22 to 28 was A LOT higher, so i opted for a non-automatic.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

rallyman1
Astra Model: ASTRA K HATCHBACK
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: SILVER

Post by rallyman1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am

I Have a Astra 1.4 Turbo Elite Auto
3yrs young The Gearbox is smooth and you do not feel the gears changing up or down cannot fault it and that is after 3yrs but I must agree petrol consumption is not impressive but that is the same with any auto box you do lose mpg compared to manual gearboxes that is my honest opinion I will stick to Automatics the choice is yours

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am

Comparsion between my 2017 Passat DSG6 and 2018 Astra 6T-45:
* upshift - DSG is quicker on paper but in real life You can´t much feel the difference
* downshift - DSG works well in only sports mode. It´s damn lazy in Drive mode in case car thinks to shift from 6th to 4th as it´s operated with same clutch.
* DSG needs electric handbreak to be used all times. It gets stuck in "P" when parking on slope.
* Passat 2,0tdi + DSG is terrible in case start-stop is engaged. Total lack of smoothness.

GM 6T-series gearboxes seem to be pretty reliable. In real world Astra´s automatic is much more pleasant to drive. I would recommend :)

As a daily car manual transmission is excluded from my options. Life is too short to be shifting gears every day :D

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 am

My opinion is that if i can save money by shifting myself, ill do that.

When/if i ever buy an electric car the clutch pedal will offcourse go...
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Post by danx55 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 pm

ive had a slight used vw dsg (derv) ...and wasnt impressed - not great round town at all as it shifts into 7th asap, but not keen to down shift .....unless going down hill ...then it drops into third!! :o :D

Pug50
Astra Model: Elite ST 1.4T Auto

Post by Pug50 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Most of my cars have been auto (Honda Accord, Audi A8, Saab 9-3) and the Astra one is pretty good. It has a very low first gear and slow creep and seems to shift to 6th very early with gentle driving (about 40-45mph), but it responds nicely if you put your foot down.

I'm a very gentle driver and tend to keep a lot of momentum through corners - I manage about 45mpg on the computer (so probably about 30mpg in real life??! :D )

The Autostop on the auto version needs a very subtle touch on the brake pedal if you want to halt the car without stopping the engine: there seems to only be an ounce of pressure between the point where the car is held and the point where the engine stops while you're looking to pull out at a roundabout. But with practice, I think I have the knack now.

Rumour has it that the Auto box makes the 1.4T less likely to succumb to the LSPI engine death provided you don't labour the engine by using the manual shift mode in high gears with low rpm.

This gearbox and the "6T" family is used very widely in GM vehicles (and Fords too, in a weird bit of technology sharing), including in the USA where drivers aren't known for their mechanical sympathy. So I'd imagine it will be reliable.

MisterEChops

Post by MisterEChops » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 pm

rallyman1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am
3yrs young The Gearbox is smooth and you do not feel the gears changing up or down cannot fault it and that is after 3yrs but I must agree petrol consumption is not impressive but that is the same with any auto box you do lose mpg compared to manual gearboxes that is my honest opinion I will stick to Automatics the choice is yours
Yeah, that's not really how it works... The auto box uses less fuel in real world than a manual trans does.

If any of you think you can shift better or more efficiently than a computer can, you are absolutely kidding yourself!

rallyman1
Astra Model: ASTRA K HATCHBACK
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: SILVER

Post by rallyman1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am

MisterEChops wrote:
rallyman1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am
Yeah, that's not really how it works... The auto box uses less fuel in real world than a manual trans does.

If any of you think you can shift better or more efficiently than a computer can, you are absolutely kidding yourself!
MisterEchops you have your opinion I have mine, I am not the one who is kidding anyone I am stating my opinion of auto and manual how you can say a auto user's less fuel that is not my experience after 40yrs of driving them and paying for the fuel that's my Opinion

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk