Electronic parking brake not releasing.

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
farrinaf

Electronic parking brake not releasing.

Post by farrinaf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Recently acquired 66 plate Astra ST Elite (1.4 Turbo) manual gearbox having a bit of an issue with the electronic parking brake (EPB) randomly not automatically releasing.

Strangely I can use the EPB multiple times on a journey before it suddenly ceases to automatically release. Once it has ceased releasing automatically it seems to stay in this problem state until I initiate an ignition restart.

Naturally of course, the car is about a week outside its 3 year warranty ....

Was serviced 1 month ago (main dealer)

Symptons thus ..

EPB on
Initiate drive off (clutch up and accelerate) EPB releases normally as expected.
Stop car (junction/traffic lights)
EPB on
Gearbox into neutral.
Go to drive off
Engage first gear
Clutch up and accelerate
Back end of car goes down on suspension but EPB does not release (becoming a bit embarrassing with car driver behind about to inspect the contents of my boot)

Have tried fully depressing clutch and repeat but EPB still does not release.

Pressing foot brake pedal and pushing down on EPB button always releases the brake.
No sign of any warning messages on dash. Note this also occurs on flat ground ie. not hilly or slope.

My (close) friend who owned car from new and from whom I purchased the car, was in it today when it reoccured and confirmed that in his experience this was not normal and it was not me being a bit technically “thick” with a new (to me) car.

Wonder if anyone has any perly words of wisdom or advice apart from reverting to the local Vauxhall “stealer”.

Geordie- boy

Re: Electronic parking brake not releasing.

Post by Geordie- boy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am

I have same problem once every 3 month it won't release . I either do a manual release with button then when convenient turn off engine and restart to resolve. Have taken it to Vauxhall twice and they found nothing so save your money and like I do just live with it. There are a few posts on here about it but as far as I know no body had come up with a solution. Please chaps as lasses correct me if I'm wrong
Èlite nav ST 1.4T 150 mineral black massage climate AGR seats, keyless, self parking, tints, spare wheel, leds, cargo nets, boot liner but no sunroof!

bilboastra
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4T 150
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by bilboastra » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

I think I can induce this on mine if I press the brake pedal really hard whilst engaging the epb.

farrinaf

Post by farrinaf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply - its good to know I am not alone with this issue!

Unfortunately mine seems to reoccur on a more frequent basis than 3 monthly (more like every few days).

I'll see if I can replicate the problem with firm brake pedal pressure.

If I come up with any solutions/causes will advise

Cheers

Return to “Faults & Technical”