LED headlight

Useful How To posts
Enjoy

LED headlight

Post by Enjoy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:06 am

What aftermarket LED headlight bulb can I use to replace my main beam and dipped beam that will not give me an error? Please advice.

morgoth
Astra Model: Innovation 1.4 T 150hp
Astra Colour: Summit white

Re: LED headlight

Post by morgoth » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:23 am

Oh boy, another led headlight thread... Led bulbs are not usually recommended due to their bad beam pattern, BUT I've recently tried ones similar to these [url]https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mmW43SeHl[/url] and they actually work pretty well in projectors, although you might get FM radio interference.
As for the main beams, astra has pretty bad H1 bulb socket, no led bulbs I've seen so far can be properly secured since they are all too thick.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 pm

morgoth wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:23 am
Oh boy, another led headlight thread... Led bulbs are not usually recommended due to their bad beam pattern, BUT I've recently tried ones similar to these [url]https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mmW43SeHl[/url] and they actually work pretty well in projectors, although you might get FM radio interference.
As for the main beams, astra has pretty bad H1 bulb socket, no led bulbs I've seen so far can be properly secured since they are all too thick.
Yes and there is not a lot of room behind the socket as well. Philips Ultinon's can not be mounted if you want the protecting endcap on the lamp housing and you generally want this because otherwise dirt can get into the lamp assembly and it will be nearly impossible to get out.

Saw someone on here, that had 3D printed his own endcap that had space for the Ultinon, but as long as these LED's are not a lot better, and they cost that much money, i am not going to buy them.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

morgoth
Astra Model: Innovation 1.4 T 150hp
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by morgoth » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45 am

Yeah that was me. The design of this bulb is very different from other leds - it only has 1 led chip pointing down so no blind spots (the unlit half of projector is behid cut off shield anyway), also its slightly off center so the led chip is in the same place as halogen bulb filament. The chip used (xhp70) is rated about 4000 lm (vs 150lm per chip in philips bulbs).
I've tried this bulb (different manufacturer, same design) and it was pretty good, the cutoff line is more blurry than with real led lights but the hotspots were in the right place (see the test here https://www.led-car-light-manufacturer.com/select-led-projector-headlight-bulb/), I've returned it though since it caused bad fm radio interference when on (but people claim that the one I linked doesn't).

Return to “How To”