Anyone recommend a dash cam please?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
FiestaRed
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 150T
Astra Options: Loads more than I need.
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver (Blue when you look at it though)

Anyone recommend a dash cam please?

Post by FiestaRed » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Can anyone recommend a dash cam suitable for the K at all? Preferably a plug in one if possible.

letsgetrdy

Re: Anyone recommend a dash cam please?

Post by letsgetrdy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:30 pm

I have an A119 from VIOFO. Different versions on amazon, any 1080p one will suffice. I have it sat in the center stuck to the cameras / mirror plastic trim. I had it on the window for a moment, but it's much better imho on that bit of plastic and centered.
"VIOFO Dash Cam 2K A119 V2 2560x1440P Super Clear" Amazon 69.99

I have this over it which greatly reduces glare / reflection from dashboard
"VIOFO CPL Filter Circular Polarized Filter for A129 Duo / A119 / A119PRO / A119S Dash Camera Lenses" Amazon 12.99

I use this to run the camera into my fuse box, I just tucked the table along the top of the liner all down the side of the post liner, then under the steering, above the pedals, and tucked under and behind into the fuse box, where it's plugged into rear wiper fuse I believe, it comes on when ignition gets turned. Tucking is easy and it's all out of sight.
"SHISHUO Dash Cam Hardwire Kit - Mini USB and Micro USB Port 3.5m Cable with 5 Fuse Types ACU/ACN/ACZ/Micro2/Micro3" Amazon 11.99

Quality is good in day and good at night, can distinguish plates on cars on motorway etc.

Will update with sample footage and photos tomorrow.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

If it's not too daft a question, do you leave the dash cam on the screen all the time? I ask because before cars with built in sat-navs, we were always advised to hide them out of the way when not in use.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am

No one use a dash cam?

koush

Post by koush » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 am

I keep mine in all the time. You can't really see it from the outside unless you look hard as you can only see the lens. I have viofo A129 with gps and wifi. The quality is really good day and night and I have mounted mine on the plastic housing where the light and windscreen sensors are also. I have wired mine up to the rear usb charging port.

Koush

frank appleton
Astra Model: Astra K Elite Nav S/S_2017
Astra Options: Flex organiser
Astra Colour: Emerald green

Post by frank appleton » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 pm

I use a Viofo A119 as well, on the front screen. On the back screen i use a Street Guardian, which has a smaller foot print.

You can get a screen mount for the Viofo, which allows it to be easily released from the screen when required. Fitting a circular polariser is a good idea, as mentioned above it reduces reflections. If you fit this you will need to increase the exposure[EV] value for the lost exposure through the filter. The screen mount also allows GPS tracking .

When running the USB lead from the power supply to the camera, do NOT under any circumstances cross the A pillar with the cable. If you are unlucky enough to deploy the curtain air bags the A pillar cover will remove itself very quickly. I leave you to imagine what can happen to the USB cable and camera.

The correct way is to remove the A pillar trim and run the cable down the window side, clipping ot to the existing wiring loom, and then pass it through the dash board where you can make your conection.

It is far easier to run the cable down the passenger sde.

Make sure that where you place the camera that it is within the swept area of the wiper blades, and also clear of any obstructions that will appear on the exposure. Remember, these cameras have very wide angle lenses and any nearby obstructions will ruin you exposure.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks for the help, really appreciated. I wasn't aware of the Viofo cameras, thanks also for the recommendations.

Is the screen active all the time? I would have thought it could be distracting, mind, having said that I don't find the sat-nav distracting.

morgoth
Astra Model: Innovation 1.4 T 150hp
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by morgoth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:35 pm

I also recommend viofo, cpl filter is great at removing glare. They also have capacitors instead of regular batteries, so they dont mind high summer temperatures.
I placed mine to the right side of front camera housing, so from driver's point of view it's hidden behind rear view mirror. The screen is turned off unless you press any button.

frank appleton
Astra Model: Astra K Elite Nav S/S_2017
Astra Options: Flex organiser
Astra Colour: Emerald green

Post by frank appleton » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:04 pm

In the setup menu, you can select to have the screen on all the time ,or, for a selected number of minutes after power up.

Sanitizer
Astra Model: Astra K 136 Elite SS
Astra Options: Blackvue F&R Dash Cams, DPF Light, Mud Flaps.
Astra Colour: Astroid Grey

Post by Sanitizer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Have a look at Blackvue. they do some cracking cameras. I have the 750s front and rear camera with a parking modual. It records 24/7. Connects to internet at home and at work and my phone when driving. Live view and parking mode. Just looking at the new 4k model but its pricey. So far in 3 years i have had it i have had 2 people damage my car and drive off. They have been dealt with by the police and repaird my car through there insurance. I have also had my daughters car fixed by one of my neighbours when there sone scratched her car.
Paul W...

Return to “Main Astra K chat”