Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Post Reply
KGM
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by KGM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi everyone, picked up my 2017 Astra elite 1.6 last Tuesday. I had about an hour journey home from the car dealers, mainly motorway driving, following the speed limit and wasn’t over accelerating and the car was running fine.

About an hour or so after getting home I went out and filled up with BP Ultimate, drove for about another 15 minutes and then parked up. I was sitting in neutral with the engine running and up popped “Engine Power Reduced”. I turned the car on and off but it was still in limp mode with the engine management light displayed.

The next morning I drove the car to work, the engine management light was on but the car was no longer in limp mode however, I got a warning reading “air bag service” and the air bag light stayed on.

When I got into work I rang the dealer(used car dealer) and explained what had happened. They arranged for the car to be collected that afternoon and left me a courtesy car.

Later that day the woman from the service department rang me and said when they picked the car up thee engine management light wasn’t on anymore(typical) but they would take the car out for a drive to see if the light reappeared, which it didn’t.

The car dealer sent the car to Vauxhall to try and fix the errors. Fast forward one week and the car is dropped off at my place of work. I had been told that everything was sorted and the lights were no longer showing and the dealership had drove the car for a full day before giving it back to me.

So I was driving home, about 15 minutes into my 25 minute journey, going round a corner in second gear and up pops “engine power reduced again”, I couldn’t believe it after thinking the problem was sorted. Then again the airbag service light came on. Same thing again the next morning on the way to work, no engine management light and the airbag service light on. The dealer has the car back but can’t understand what the problem is.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to try and give a clear picture of what happened. Has anyone experienced the same thing or have any idea of what could be wrong. I’ve read multiple threads on here with similar issues but none the same as this. I’m losing faith in the car and haven’t even got to enjoy driving it.

D7DFC4EA-5B51-4C00-9063-94EC26BCC1CD.jpeg



User avatar
NIGHTCD
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:05 am
Location: Norway

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by NIGHTCD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Have you checked the error codes? (To get an overview to see what is happening)


KGM
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by KGM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 pm

NIGHTCD wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 pm
Have you checked the error codes? (To get an overview to see what is happening)
Sorry mate should have mentioned that. I didn’t have the tool to read the error codes but was told by the woman in the service department that the only error codes were related to the airbag warning because the engine management light stayed off while they had it and there was no error codes stored. They said they cleared whatever codes had shown because of the airbag but there’s obviously something else wrong if I’m getting the service airbag light again.


KGM
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by KGM » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Update - the dealer got back to me and apparently there’s some corrosion in the fuse box and this is what is randomly throwing up the errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this happening to a two year old car?


SuperGeekJames
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:39 am
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 pm

KGM wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:22 pm
Update - the dealer got back to me and apparently there’s some corrosion in the fuse box and this is what is randomly throwing up the errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this happening to a two year old car?
I'm asuming the corrosion is in the fusebox under the bonnet? If so the fusebox lid is either:

a) Not closed properly, so not sealing, letting water and moisture in

b) The seal has failed, letting water and moisture in, or it's betting in from underneath, splashing off the road (is your undertray in place?)

There's a lot of cost cutting evident on these cars, especially compared to my old 2004 H. The interior fusebox under the cover beneath climate controls shouldn't really be letting any moisture in.


Redman
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by Redman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:52 pm

I was thinking the culprit fuse box would be the engine one not the internal one myself. The astra h had lots of problems with condensation in the uec as they got older, lots of threads on astra owners network regarding the issue.


KGM
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Reduced Engine power/Airbag Service

Post by KGM » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:42 am

SuperGeekJames wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 pm
KGM wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:22 pm
Update - the dealer got back to me and apparently there’s some corrosion in the fuse box and this is what is randomly throwing up the errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this happening to a two year old car?
I'm asuming the corrosion is in the fusebox under the bonnet? If so the fusebox lid is either:

a) Not closed properly, so not sealing, letting water and moisture in

b) The seal has failed, letting water and moisture in, or it's betting in from underneath, splashing off the road (is your undertray in place?)

There's a lot of cost cutting evident on these cars, especially compared to my old 2004 H. The interior fusebox under the cover beneath climate controls shouldn't really be letting any moisture in.
Yeah, it was the fuse box under the bonnet. They didn’t mention what had caused it but I’m assuming it was the seal.

The work is being done under warranty, thankfully. They said there’s a decent amount of rewiring to be done but hopefully have the car back by the end of the coming week.


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”