Steering wheel change

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Steering wheel change

Post by astraowner » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi

I have the "midlevel" steering wheel.

Do you know if there is any ECU style stuff in the steering wheel ?

I was wondering if it was possible to retrofit the latest style steering wheel. (I dont like the "old" uplevel one, looks too much like a playstation controller, but the new upstyle one is quite nice i think)

Would it work, would my airbag fit that steering wheel and would the menu control buttons on the right of the steering wheel work with the midlevel display. (Would i be able to control the display with those buttons)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Gareth d

Re: Steering wheel change

Post by Gareth d » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm

There's another thread going on in main chat about this...
https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4329

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Agreed and i also saw this after.

BUT...That thread is a straight swap...uplevel astra to uplevel insignia.

I was also wondering if the menu control buttons on the Uplevel steering wheel would work if swapped into a car with the monochromatic Midlevel display.

Not much fun swapping it out, if all the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel had no function.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:48 pm

The finish on the Astra Midlevel steering wheel is crap. My car is 3 years old, and the whole top of the steering wheel is worn out. Was like that when I got it 4 months ago. At the quarter to three position, holding the wheel normally, it's now flaking away there. Recently I had to go 105 miles to my stepdaughter's rescue (SuperDad lol) after her Adam's power steering went and she wasn't comfortable with the heavy steering. She's 19, recently passed her test, and I bought the car for her, with her mum's backing, 50/50.

So, I drove to Yardley, let her drive my Astra, where she followed me while I drove her Adam back to the dealership. We swapped back once repairs had been done to hers, and now more of my steering wheel is peeling where her ring fingers had been. It was only a 30 mile trip, she's got a lovely soft grip, so have I, and Vauxhall don't want to know. I alerted them to the original top wheel damage after a week.

So, it's either a brand new steering wheel, at possibly £600+, or get one from a scrapper. It looks a mess, and is getting worse. The old owner (the only other owner) must have had a rock breaker grip for the 32,000 miles it had done, he was one of those who grips the top of the steering wheel with one hand, tightly, like a python! My old H's wheel looked better at 15 years old and 5 owners!

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm

SuperGeekJames wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:48 pm
The finish on the Astra Midlevel steering wheel is crap. My car is 3 years old, and the whole top of the steering wheel is worn out. Was like that when I got it 4 months ago. At the quarter to three position, holding the wheel normally, it's now flaking away there. Recently I had to go 105 miles to my stepdaughter's rescue (SuperDad lol) after her Adam's power steering went and she wasn't comfortable with the heavy steering. She's 19, recently passed her test, and I bought the car for her, with her mum's backing, 50/50.

So, I drove to Yardley, let her drive my Astra, where she followed me while I drove her Adam back to the dealership. We swapped back once repairs had been done to hers, and now more of my steering wheel is peeling where her ring fingers had been. It was only a 30 mile trip, she's got a lovely soft grip, so have I, and Vauxhall don't want to know. I alerted them to the original top wheel damage after a week.

So, it's either a brand new steering wheel, at possibly £600+, or get one from a scrapper. It looks a mess, and is getting worse. The old owner (the only other owner) must have had a rock breaker grip for the 32,000 miles it had done, he was one of those who grips the top of the steering wheel with one hand, tightly, like a python! My old H's wheel looked better at 15 years old and 5 owners!
If i was quoted 600 pounds i would certainly go for a used on to swap over or have the worn out one fixed by a professional that works with leather.

A decent professional would be able to do a full stitch using genuine leather in less than a day.

Not that it should be needed.

My Zafira B's wheel was beginning to feel a bit rough in the top, but that was 10 years and 250.000 miles.

My current K wheel has 35.000 now and it does not feel bad....I dont know if there is a difference between the heated and non heated....mine is the heated variant.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm
My current K wheel has 35.000 now and it does not feel bad....I dont know if there is a difference between the heated and non heated....mine is the heated variant.
Mine's heated too, with heated seats, and we're almost the same mileage, I'm now just over 34,500 miles. I'll find the picture I sent Vauxhall for you to compare yours to.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

SuperGeekJames wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 pm
astraowner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm
Mine's heated too, with heated seats, and we're almost the same mileage, I'm now just over 34,500 miles. I'll find the picture I sent Vauxhall for you to compare yours to.
Ok, i will take a comparable picture of mine when i see your's then.

Return to “Faults & Technical”