Swapping my stock H7 for aftermarket halogen bulbs

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

my installation xp

Post by mrtailorson_ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 pm

so i went ahead and bought a pair of Osram Night Breaker Laser 'next generation' H7 bulbs.

replacement was rather easy though at first i was afraid that my hand would not fit or reach into the bulb housing. the angle makes it so that you do the replacement by touch and feel. just need to take care that the bulb heatsink's flat side coincides with its slot's flat side.

that being said, opening the plastic osram box was not easy at all! dear god! i thought i was supposed to push those 4 pcs of flaps on the box. they broke off. still cannot open the damn box. maybe i should have pulled them?! i do not know. then i pried the damn thing open! :x

here are some pix if you ever wondered what the stock H7 bulbs are:
(i think they are Philips LongLife EcoVision 12972LLECOC1 [url]https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12972LLECOC1/longlife-ecovision-headlight-bulb/specifications[/url])

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Swapping my stock H7 for aftermarket halogen bulbs

Post by astraowner » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:55 am

I agree that the stock bulbs they put in at the factory seems to be Philips longlife.

They probably choose this bulb as it is cheaper than the brighter alternatives and they dont burn out in such a short time that there will be any debate about whether they should be changed under warranty.

I tried the Nightbreakers when they just came out and i must say that i was disappointed. The first one burned out after only 3 months and then i bought another set and replaced the burned out one, the bulb in the other side burned out in a month or so, and i fitted the remaining one from the extra set and these lasted less than 6 months.

2 sets of bulbs within year

Switched to Philips +130 i think they were called and in the remaining 2 years i owned that car, they worked as they should.

Would recommend the Philips ones over the nightbreakers any day, based on my personal experience.

I have a set of Philips X-tremevision 130+ just waiting to be mounted. Bought this summer together with some motoroil to get the price above "No shipping" (The shipping was about 50% of the price of the bulbs so essentially i got a set for half the price) and planning on fitting them when we get to the time of the year where i actually need bright lights when driving. (In the summertime, i rarely drive when it's dark as this is where i normally sleep :) )
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Return to “Faults & Technical”