Steering column wheel alingment pulling heavily to the left

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
chelseasjm1
Astra Model: Elite nav 1.6 cdti ecoflex start stop 110
Astra Colour: Deep sky blue

Steering column wheel alingment pulling heavily to the left

Post by chelseasjm1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am

Hi everybody, 16 plate elite nav, when the car had its very first service a while back it had to have a new steering column recall, when I had the car back it was pulling to the left, went back in for wheel alignment and this cured it.
However recently had the recall for the brake and clutch done, they noticed that there was movement in the steering column so it had to have a new steering column put in, however it was heavily pulling to the left after this, they have now had the car for 2 weeks and still dont seem to know what the problem is, I did suggest could it be a faulty sensor within the steering column as its fly by wire, any help would be very much appreciated as the main agent I use dont seem to know thank you

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Steering column wheel alingment pulling heavily to the left

Post by astraowner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:05 pm

chelseasjm1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am
Hi everybody, 16 plate elite nav, when the car had its very first service a while back it had to have a new steering column recall, when I had the car back it was pulling to the left, went back in for wheel alignment and this cured it.
However recently had the recall for the brake and clutch done, they noticed that there was movement in the steering column so it had to have a new steering column put in, however it was heavily pulling to the left after this, they have now had the car for 2 weeks and still dont seem to know what the problem is, I did suggest could it be a faulty sensor within the steering column as its fly by wire, any help would be very much appreciated as the main agent I use dont seem to know thank you
How much movement are we talking about here ?

If i pull the steering wheel with very moderate force, i can move it up and down about ½ cm, and it makes a clonk sound.

Is this what you have or is yours worse ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

chelseasjm1
Astra Model: Elite nav 1.6 cdti ecoflex start stop 110
Astra Colour: Deep sky blue

Post by chelseasjm1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 pm

There is no clonking sound if you let the steering wheel go it pulls heavily to the left

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm

chelseasjm1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 pm
There is no clonking sound if you let the steering wheel go it pulls heavily to the left
Aah, ok, that's not what i have :)

Thanks for the answer
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

MOOGLEYS
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MOOGLEYS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 am

Something not right there the dealer should get that sorted ASAP as it’s not safe like that.

SuperGeekJames

Post by SuperGeekJames » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:00 pm

A slight wander is normal due to driveshaft length differences (torque steer, common on FWD vehicles), but it shouldn't pull aggressively. Definitely get a second or third opinion.

Return to “Faults & Technical”