Central locking not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
sol83

Central locking not working

Post by sol83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am

I was wondering if anyone could help? I'm not sure if this is connected, but recently changed my car key fob. It was working fine, and now the central locking has stopped working completely. I cannot lock my car at all. Using the actual key I can lock the drivers side from the outside, that's it, the passenger side and the boot stay unlocked. Whilst in the car, the button to lock all doors doesn't work either. The fuel cap was locked completely, but managed to unlock this from inside the boot. I have changed the battery in the key, but it still doesn't work. Anyone any advice?

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Re: Central locking not working

Post by AdieMcc » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Have you tried disconnecting the battery...usually sorts out most problems
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

sol83

Post by sol83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 pm

How long would I leave it disconnected for? :)

tuglet
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by tuglet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Couple of thoughts. 1) How long did it take you to replace the key fob battery? I've had cars in the past where you only had 30 seconds (IIRC) to change the battery. 2) Did you put the battery in the right way up? 3) Is it the correct battery (CR2032)? 4) Is the new battery definitely good e.g. not flat?

No offense meant, but sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple things.
1.6T 200 Elite Nav. Cosmic Grey.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Have heard of this happening when the ignition switch/barrel is playing up. The system can think the key is still in the ignition and inhibit the locking functions. Try swapping to your second key and taking the key out slower/faster, differently. Could be something different of course, keep us posted on the outcome, as it will help others as the cars get older and develope inherent problems.

sol83

Post by sol83 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 pm

tuglet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm
Couple of thoughts. 1) How long did it take you to replace the key fob battery? I've had cars in the past where you only had 30 seconds (IIRC) to change the battery. 2) Did you put the battery in the right way up? 3) Is it the correct battery (CR2032)? 4) Is the new battery definitely good e.g. not flat?

No, it's fine :D it was done straight away tbh, although not sure if it made 30 seconds, but there was no dawdling as we knew it needed to be done straight away. I would say it was in the right way, as it worked for a little bit after it was swapped over. I was thinking of trying a new battery, but that wouldn't account for the fact I can't use the locking button that's used inside the car would it?

tuglet
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by tuglet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 pm

sol83 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 pm
tuglet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm

No, it's fine :D it was done straight away tbh, although not sure if it made 30 seconds, but there was no dawdling as we knew it needed to be done straight away. I would say it was in the right way, as it worked for a little bit after it was swapped over. I was thinking of trying a new battery, but that wouldn't account for the fact I can't use the locking button that's used inside the car would it?
Cool :D

Another thought, that might get you locking all the doors together when using the key. From the owner's manual:

Unlocking mode can be set in the vehicle personalisation menu in the Info-Display. Two settings are selectable:
● All doors, load compartment and fuel filler flap will be unlocked by pressing button once.
● Only the driver's door, load compartment and fuel filler flap will be unlocked by pressing button once. To unlock all doors, press
button twice.

Try setting it to "All doors", if it's not already.
1.6T 200 Elite Nav. Cosmic Grey.

snapshot11
Astra Model: Astra K 2016 Sri 1.6 CDTI 110 BHP
Astra Options: Advanced park assist sight and light pack
Astra Colour: ILL Be BLACK

Post by snapshot11 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Just a thought have you checked the fuses for the central locking circuit in case one has popped for any reason.
Astra K Sri 1.6 CDTI Sight and light pack Advanced park assist powerfold mirrors reversing camera heated seats :)

sol83

Post by sol83 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight seems to have fixed the problem, so thank you AdieMcc for that suggestion :D Saves me a trip to the garage :)

Return to “Faults & Technical”