Infotainment blackout

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ricardo72

Infotainment blackout

Post by Ricardo72 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi, first time user in need of help.
My infotainment centre as blacked out completely, checked fuses aka manual but all good.
Is this a common fault, can i rectify it myself
or do i need some kind of software chip replacement?
Any advise will be welcome!
Didn’t realise how much it improves the driving experience until its gone👊

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Infotainment blackout

Post by astraowner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Ricardo72 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Hi, first time user in need of help.
My infotainment centre as blacked out completely, checked fuses aka manual but all good.
Is this a common fault, can i rectify it myself
or do i need some kind of software chip replacement?
Any advise will be welcome!
Didn’t realise how much it improves the driving experience until its gone👊
Is it the R4.0 or the Navi 900.

Is there any indication that the radio part is working....Is there any sound coming from the radio like normal, where the radio channel you listened to last, is playing but the screen is dead or is it dead and no indication that anything works. ?

Is your phone connecting to the bluetooth when you turn on the ignition (If it is paired and normally do)

If there is no indication of life, it would likely be the HMI box, if there is indications that the radio works, but the screen is black, it might "just" be the screen.

In any case, the only people that can succesfully swap out the part that has gone bad, is Vauxhall, as the radio and display is coded to the car, and needs a VCI code to be changed, and this code only exist on vauxhall's servers in Germany and can not be had, but only gotten by the program on the vauxhall garage's. and the vauxhall technitian will actually never see the code.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:16 pm

If that is the case then it would cost loads to have vauxhall code you a new infotainment system and screen.
Maybe worth while buying a aftermarket one.

Screenshot_20190818_161451_com.android.chrome.jpg

Aftermarket screen.

Ricardo72

blackoutRe: Infotainment blackout

Post by Ricardo72 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi, thanks for your post.
At first sign of problem the radio was on but no screen, now there is no radio no phone connection and no screen. putting it in for an investigation to see if it needs an update or full head unit replacement! £1000 if the latter😡

Ricardo72

Post by Ricardo72 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 pm

An after market one, would that still fit the gap?

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Ricardo72 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 pm
An after market one, would that still fit the gap?
Yes that is a direct replacement. It is larger than the standard screen but same fitting as the nav version.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:27 am

If my factory fitted radio went tits up, i would never consider replacing it with another genuine one, because as said, it will be a bill of 1000£+

The most stupid thing is that you can not even just buy a used HMI box on the internet and fit it.

I get it that when the radio was one unit, there was a theft issue, but i would not think that thieves would take apart the car to dig out the HMI box just for resale so there is really no solid reason for making it impossible to replace it yourself anymore.

And i dont think you could buy and fit a used one and then have Vauxhall program it to your car, as they would need VCI codes for that particular HMI box that vauxhall would probably never release.

Best bet, in case of a broken radio is to buy some chinese after market unit.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Return to “Introductions”