Automatic Lights "Problem" - Won't turn off.

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Montanelasecoflex

Automatic Lights "Problem" - Won't turn off.

Post by Montanelasecoflex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 am

Hello everyone,

I know this has been discussed on other threads but they are all dead therefore there might be a solution already.

I have a 2016 astra K with the intellilink r 4.0 and halogen bulbs that came with the automatic light system which besides turning the lights on and off also dims the lights.
My "problem" is the one that might be known around, either the light sensor or the firmware is stupid as a door and in "dusky day" if I pass by a tunnel and come out the lights will keep on, or even in a sunny day if the sunlight doesn't go directly on the sensor they will be kept on and the worst part is the interior displays will be on "night mode" even with the brightness on the maximum it's still to dark.

I haven't taken my car to an opel/vx dealership since 2018 when the warranty ended therefore I wanted to know if there's any firmware update that can "fix" this or if there's a new sensor or mod I can do to "fix" my problem.

Thanks.

stokoe

Re: Automatic Lights "Problem" - Won't turn off.

Post by stokoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Montanelasecoflex wrote:Hello everyone,

I know this has been discussed on other threads but they are all dead therefore there might be a solution already.

I have a 2016 astra K with the intellilink r 4.0 and halogen bulbs that came with the automatic light system which besides turning the lights on and off also dims the lights.
My "problem" is the one that might be known around, either the light sensor or the firmware is stupid as a door and in "dusky day" if I pass by a tunnel and come out the lights will keep on, or even in a sunny day if the sunlight doesn't go directly on the sensor they will be kept on and the worst part is the interior displays will be on "night mode" even with the brightness on the maximum it's still to dark.

I haven't taken my car to an opel/vx dealership since 2018 when the warranty ended therefore I wanted to know if there's any firmware update that can "fix" this or if there's a new sensor or mod I can do to "fix" my problem.

Thanks.
you can replace the lights switch with a corsa one i think there is two different types iam sure somone on here will give you the correct type you need other than that i dont think there is a fix for the problem.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Montanelasecoflex

Re: Automatic Lights

Post by Montanelasecoflex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm

stokoe wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm
Montanelasecoflex wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks.
you can replace the lights switch with a corsa one i think there is two different types iam sure somone on here will give you the correct type you need other than that i dont think there is a fix for the problem.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk
I've read about the light switch of the Corsa E, I just didn't understand what it did, my light switch already has a slider to controll the brightness of the interior displays even tough it doesn't affect the sensibility of the light sensor and with my actual light switch I can disable the auto headlights my biggest problem is that it doesn't disable the auto diming of the interior displays.

But I'll wait for someone else to comment about it, I was hoping for a firmware update tough, guess I can keep hoping for it,

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Rob14 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm

There is no firmware update. I took my car in with the same issues. They said it's just a light sensor, it works off both light and uv light, hence why it sometimes stays on, as it may not be receiving enough light. The garage changed my light sensor under warranty anyway as they said it was behaving erratically. So far I have noticed it staying on when it shouldn't. It's more an issue in the winter moths for myself.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Montanelasecoflex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Hello everyone,I've read about the light switch of the Corsa E, I just didn't understand what it did, my light switch already has a slider to controll the brightness of the interior displays even tough it doesn't affect the sensibility of the light sensor and with my actual light switch I can disable the auto headlights my biggest problem is that it doesn't disable the auto diming of the interior displays.

But I'll wait for someone else to comment about it, I was hoping for a firmware update tough, guess I can keep hoping for it,
As far as i have understood the problem is that the Astra lightswitch has no option for manually turning off the light.

The Corsa one has a position where you force it to be "off", no matter what the light sensor might tell the car

On this picture you can see a setting to the right of the AUTO setting, that is "off"

This is the standard Astra one... (Please ignore the difference due to one having fogs and the other not, and one being for a left hand drive car and the other a right hand)

2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Montanelasecoflex

Post by Montanelasecoflex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Montanelasecoflex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Hello everyone,I've read about the light switch of the Corsa E, I just didn't understand what it did, my light switch already has a slider to controll the brightness of the interior displays even tough it doesn't affect the sensibility of the light sensor and with my actual light switch I can disable the auto headlights my biggest problem is that it doesn't disable the auto diming of the interior displays.

As far as i have understood the problem is that the Astra lightswitch has no option for manually turning off the light.

The Corsa one has a position where you force it to be "off", no matter what the light sensor might tell the car

On this picture you can see a setting to the right of the AUTO setting, that is "off"

This is the standard Astra one... (Please ignore the difference due to one having fogs and the other not, and one being for a left hand drive car and the other a right hand)

Yeah thanks a lot for the photos and I see the difference, so on the corsa switch you can just turn the lights "off" including the LED DRL and with it the interior display diming?

Funny, that photo is the exact same astra switch I have (left hand and only back fog light) and if I put the switch on the "middle" position it will only turn the LED DRL lights on which is good enough not to be riding along on a sunny day with the medium lights on however, even in that middle position the interior display will still auto dim.

The day riding lights are there for a reason (and are mandatory for some years now) but if it would prevent the interior displays from going into low brightness it would be worth it. Can you link the part number or ebay link to the one compatible with the astra since someone said there are 2 versions of the switch? Also I don't have front fog lights, even if I find one with the front fog button could I still use it?

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm

The Corsa switch is one of the best mods I made to the car. Strangley the auto setting works far better with the Corsa switch which I noticed immediately, far less sensitive.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

Montanelasecoflex

Post by Montanelasecoflex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Scotty_b wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm
The Corsa switch is one of the best mods I made to the car. Strangley the auto setting works far better with the Corsa switch which I noticed immediately, far less sensitive.
Hey can you confirm that when you put the switch on the "off" it turns off the auto and DRL LED's aswell as the auto dimming of the interior display lights?

pepe

Post by pepe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm

No mate, just the headlights. It does NOT control the interior lights, unfortunately. For this one there is no solution yet. Personally, I dont see why someone would be annoyed by their headlights staying on, you dont see them from the inside, but thats just my opinion.

Montanelasecoflex

Post by Montanelasecoflex » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you for your answer pepe, then to be honest I don't see why you would use the corsa switch except by the reports that the automatic headlight works better with it.

The original Astra switch also turns out the main headlights leaving the DRL on but that isn't even a problem for me, some people might not like to be ridding with the medium beams on because... reasons, the only one that occurs me is that it cuts the bulb lifetime.

But the main issue if that neither of them can turn off the auto dimming of the interior lights, which is that's my main problem.

Guess I'll just have to live with it then.

Return to “Faults & Technical”