Potential New K Owner

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
Elite_Witton

Potential New K Owner

Post by Elite_Witton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a new car and found that Vauxhall made the 200bhp 1.6t Astra as I want something practical but fun so a few questions.

How does it handle?
Anyone had them remapped?

And the one main one as I was looking at the GTC and 5door,why is the GTC slower 0-60? It seems to be the 7.3 like the newer 5door rather than the 6.6, the GTC I was looking at are 15/16 plate so thought it would be the same.

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: Potential New K Owner

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Don't forget the Astra GTC was based on the Astra J not k and weighs a ton.....a lot heavier than the k.

Elite_Witton

Post by Elite_Witton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Pompeydave wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm
Don't forget the Astra GTC was based on the Astra J not k and weighs a ton.....a lot heavier than the k.
That answers that then 😁 I never knew that's what the GTC was modelled on so thanks for the info 👍🏻

Still interested in how the 200bhp K 5 door handles and does it have better suspension than the standard cars?

Cheers

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes the earlier Astra k 1.6t had watts Rr suspension which I believe was deleted on slightly newer models.other than that fairly standard suspension so won't feel different than other models.

The Gtc is somewhat a "love it or loathe it" car , based on the J and brought in around 2011/12. Very heavy car , doors huge and sometimes tricky get in and out in tight spaces. Incredibly it has soldiered on for years , my local dealer had 19 plates . Look inside and it's a J dash brought up to date a bit with the infotainment .but the engines are old design like the car . The common 1.4t has 140bhp unlike the newer k models with different 1.4t 150bhp engines and the 1.6t although same hp as the k is a different engine. It's a cheap car though to buy and you never know might be a future classic.

The k is obviously a newer design , better all round fuel economy etc but the GTC has something about it. I always look a 2nd time I see one , I don't with the k. If I see a VXR I look a 3rd time lol

Return to “Introductions”