Persistent DP Filter Warning

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Battsby

Persistent DP Filter Warning

Post by Battsby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:36 am

I have recently purchased a 17 plate Astra cdti which has spent at least two weeks at the dealer investigating frequent 'exhaust filter cleaning' notifications.
Almost all my driving is on motorways and this is not something I have ever experienced in any other diesel car I have driven. The dealer is now saying this is normal and will occur every 100 - 150 miles. I find it hard to believe this and I am reluctant to keep driving a car with a daily yellow engine warning.
Any advice, reassurance, warnings?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Persistent DP Filter Warning

Post by astraowner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 am

Battsby wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:36 am
I have recently purchased a 17 plate Astra cdti which has spent at least two weeks at the dealer investigating frequent 'exhaust filter cleaning' notifications.
Almost all my driving is on motorways and this is not something I have ever experienced in any other diesel car I have driven. The dealer is now saying this is normal and will occur every 100 - 150 miles. I find it hard to believe this and I am reluctant to keep driving a car with a daily yellow engine warning.
Any advice, reassurance, warnings?
I find that hard to believe.

In my previous car i installed a module that displayed a notice in the odometer whenever it did the DPF cleaning.

From my experience, it would do it about every 400 miles if it had done shorter city trips, and at about 600-800 miles if only driven on the motorway. (A trip from my home, on the motorway, to Italy and back (1000 miles each direction) would only trigger the DPF cleaning once either way.

Also, that message on the K, would only be shown as the "last chance" message as far as i know, and only if it had not been able to complete the regen a number of times.

DPF cleaning is usually initiated when the ECU detects that there is a large pressure difference between, before and after the DPF. This signals that the DPF is clogged up.

If your DPF is really clogged up, it would start the DPF and this will, as far as i have been told, run a cycle, and end whenever the pressure difference gets below a certain value OR if the regen has run for a certain amount of time, to prevent it being on for hours, as the DPF cycle is performed where you inject diesel in the exhaust cycle, this travels to the PDF where it ignited due to the temperature, thus heating the DPF, and if can not take, being heated to 600C for hours.

My best guess is that your filter is clogged, the car senses this and runs for as long at it can, then your filter pressure drops just below the limit and the car can then do some miles before it is again over the limit. (Or it never drops below, but is unable to finish a couple of times and then shows the message again).

So...Either a bad sensor or a bad DPF is my guess. (Or the engine is running so bad that it produces a lot of soot, but i would think that this would make other sensors warn you of problems).

Dont accept his bullshit, that it is normal that it does this every 100-150 miles.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Battsby

Post by Battsby » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Thank you for confirming what I suspect.

It looks to me like they are doing their best to avoid taking the car back, which is the outcome I am after.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Battsby wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 pm
Thank you for confirming what I suspect.

It looks to me like they are doing their best to avoid taking the car back, which is the outcome I am after.
If they replace either the DPF or the faulty sensor, it should work just fine.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”