Engine Power Reduced

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
adz1991

Engine Power Reduced

Post by adz1991 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I have an issue with ‘16 plate Astra, 1.0l Petrol Turbo engine. I have seen a similar topic on here but it was related to a Diesel engine.

Recently my Astra when in 4th/5th gear and accelerating shows a message on the dash ‘Engine Power Reduced, and the car slows.

Took it into Lookers as it is under warranty and they have said it is a slipped clutch, which is not covered and will cost £1400 to fix. Any advice from other owners who many have had a similar issue would be great. The car has done 34,000 miles. Just seems insane for the clutch to have gone!

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Re: Engine Power Reduced

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27 pm

The "Engine Power Reduced" message is supposed to be the new equivalent of the old "spanner light" If I'm not mistaken as it sounds like limp home mode. That points more to an engine management issue rather than clutch. Things like a sensor reading out of spec, or failed completely, etc.

But then again I don't have access to service docs so I may be wrong. Are there any fault codes stored? Did they even do a diagnostic? The "Service Vehicle Soon" message on the older Insignias was the same, I think.

gordon1

Post by gordon1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm

cant believe a clutch would fail on a car that has only done 34k, i would get a second opinion mate and if it is then i would contact vx direct and complain

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:58 pm

It will be covered if it is down to oil or brake fluid contamination of the friction plate due to failed seals. If it is worn friction plate then it won't be.
Vx will want you to sign a disclaimer before they start any work stating you will pay should it not be covered by warranty.

Ben H

Post by Ben H » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Have you checked the egr valve? It might be sticking open at times.

Return to “Faults & Technical”