My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

Post by astraowner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 pm

SuperGeekJames wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 pm
My cable is only a short one I got with a powerbank, but I've used it with the bank and my tablet drawing 2A, so I don't think the cable matters. I know a guy on YouTube, CliveDotCom, he's a Scottish electrowiz, probably more than me and you. I'm gonna order a second board, and send it to him as he's really good with electronics, he can decipher almost any circuit board and draw a schematic. He'll know how to mod it further.

The only thing you'll need to watch for is it isn't quite the same shape and colour as the original. It fits in the slot perfectly and clicks, but the fascia is more rounded and black, whereas my old one was rectangular and grey coloured. Not too bad but, yeah, 2A across two ports is a massive improvement. And the voltage stays solid at 5.1V at 900+ mA, whereas the old one dropped below 4.8-9V.

I look forward to yours coming too Astraowner! By the way, are Astraowner and Astramaster the same guy, i.e you? I keep confusing you two!
Ahaha, well i am a subscriber to BigClive so i know him very well and yes, he is quite a character and knows his electronics.

I am not AstraMaster, only astraowner

The color is not very important as mine sits inside the armrest and is only seen when the lid is lifted, and to be honest, i rarely look into the armrest at all.

These units comes from american cars, so i would imagine the plastic quality is shite, as most dashboards in US cars are, as far as i have heard :D
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

AntHunt

Post by AntHunt » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:46 pm

SuperGeekJames: you’ll notice I did say about this at the start of this thread, but the module is exactly the same shape, size, styling as fitted in my 2018 Astra.

Just a side note, I started a separate thread for the electronics side of this when I took apart my previous module. It doesn’t really matter, but I wouldn’t want to put others off of this mod if they think they have to solder/wire anything.

Just to reiterate, this swap can be done without any special skills and will benefit most people.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 pm

AntHunt wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:46 pm
Just to reiterate, this swap can be done without any special skills and will benefit most people.
Of course, we didn't imply any other way, that's why I posted clear pictures of how simple it is. We simply said the more technically minded can modify the circuits if they want, to increase the amps, but it isn't necessary as that carries it's own risk.

In a nutshell, they are a few clips, and two cables. Easy peasy, I didn't even need a trim removal tool or any screwdrivers, just your fingers, on the Energy trim

AntHunt

Post by AntHunt » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 pm

It’s cool. I’m staggered by how much interest my want for a second USB has been.

Great photos! It’s interesting to see so much variance between models too.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

AntHunt wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 pm
It’s cool. I’m staggered by how much interest my want for a second USB has been.

Great photos! It’s interesting to see so much variance between models too.
I extend a big thankyou from myself and Astraowner, if it wasn't for you I'd probably never have known :)

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:40 am

SuperGeekJames, Glad to hear it works and 900ma is quite acceptable for me. If it can charge to devices at the same time at that rate then that's good enough.

With data and power 1.5A would be the max you can get anyway and this would be unusual.

If I've understood correctly that it is a straight forward swap and it can be fitted easily without taking the centre console apart then even better.

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm

I've ordered one so hopefully it'll arrive in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”