My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

Post by astraowner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am

Bogbody wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 am
Nice little circuit. U1 is the key device in terms of charging.
Thank you for the info. 😀
I wonder if they will have used the same chip in the 2016 model as well.

If they did, it would be interesting to find the resistor that sets the current limiting, maybe the 2016 variant can be bumped to 1A charging, just by changing the resistor.

I know it's a longshot, but it would be a cheaper way of getting more ooomph out of the USB port :D
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 am

astraowner wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am
I wonder if they will have used the same chip in the 2016 model as well.

If they did, it would be interesting to find the resistor that sets the current limiting, maybe the 2016 variant can be bumped to 1A charging, just by changing the resistor.

I know it's a longshot, but it would be a cheaper way of getting more ooomph out of the USB port :D
My guess is it won't be as simple as that.

The basic USB 2.0 standard has to provide up to 500ma which is what we 2016 cars get.

There is a later BC (Battery charging) 1.2 revision to the USB standard which allows provision for CDP ports which allow data and charging at I think up to 1.5A. Presumably the ports on the later cars are using a chip capable of this.

I think this is the most current you can provide to a device and still have data working without going to USB C and Power Delivery.

I'd still like to know where the 12v is coming from on a 2016 car and what it's rated to. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this area of the car?

Alternatively I'm just waiting for SuperGeekJames to try it out and see if it fries his car before mine :D

Bogbody

Post by Bogbody » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm told that a data exchange through the usb port must occur before the high current/voltage charge kicks in (the 9V at 1A version)????? Need to research this a bit more.
Just changing the resistor may not achive higher than the standard 500mA charge voltage on a USB device.

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm

The power negotiation used to be very simple but with the advent of different USB standards and proprietary standards such as Dash charge and Quick Charge it's become more complex hence it's handled by a small chip.

I think the resistor being referenced is how it changes the power the chip is to provide. Hopefully someone will post some pictures of the 2016 internals at some point.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Ollie222 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm
The power negotiation used to be very simple but with the advent of different USB standards and proprietary standards such as Dash charge and Quick Charge it's become more complex hence it's handled by a small chip.

I think the resistor being referenced is how it changes the power the chip is to provide. Hopefully someone will post some pictures of the 2016 internals at some point.
The resistor is to "program" the current limit, that the chip will source via the USB connector, not used to signal anything else to the USB port.

In yeee olden days, it was a lot easier..

If the data wires were shorted, it was a signal to the phone that it was connected to a charger that would deliver 1A, and if they were not, it would signal that it was connected to a USB port, that was not able to source more than ½A

Nowadays you need the right charger and the right cable.

For examply my Oneplus phone has to have a DASH charger, but also a DASH cable.

Not that a non-DASH cable would not be able to conduct the power sent, but the DASH cable has a chip inside, that signals that it IS indeed a DASH cable.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by SuperGeekJames » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 am

astraowner wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm
In yeee olden days, it was a lot easier..
And a lot more fun! I miss the days of VCR's and 24 disc CD changers, I love mechanics, and hate solid state, it's so boring. Like the growl of my 1.0T Astra's powerful little engine vs a crappy Prius, the Prius is boring as dishwater and doesn't give you the same goosebumps unless you're an eco warrior snowflake.

Everything is software and semiconductor controlled. Remember the days when Nokia chargers were linear, just a transformer, diodes and capacitor? Now even the cheapest charger from China has a complex little feedback controlled switchmode supply in it. Amazing, but overcomplicating things for the sake of it. Even my computer's audio now has to have a special driver and software to pop up an annoying output select window before audio will work, where have the days gone where the headphone pins were wired straight to an amp chip, shutting speakers off? Aargh. And I'm a massive nerd!

Back on topic, I found loads of info for a UT80-C4, but not the C5, searching for C5 just brings up Citroen ECU tuning stuff! I haven't fitted my USB yet, as I haven't had time, we're getting busy nearing Prime week (I work at Amazon if you missed me introducing Ada Astra to you). Are those nuts on either side of the centre console that need to come out? Will it all just pop off after that? Mine's the Energy trim, so no fancy armrests!

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 am

SuperGeekJames wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 am

Back on topic, I found loads of info for a UT80-C4, but not the C5, searching for C5 just brings up Citroen ECU tuning stuff! I haven't fitted my USB yet, as I haven't had time, we're getting busy nearing Prime week (I work at Amazon if you missed me introducing Ada Astra to you). Are those nuts on either side of the centre console that need to come out? Will it all just pop off after that? Mine's the Energy trim, so no fancy armrests!
I had my centre console out to fit the power flex bar, that connects to the lighter socket for power.

It is not just a matter og taking out 2 bolts, you need th trim around the gearstick off, there are bolts there and then there are a few more bolts as well, can remember them all, they were shown in the installation manual for the kit.

But someone said that it was possible to change it, by just removing the back part of the centre console, where the controls for the rear heated seats and rear USB connectors are, if you have these fitted.

But i dont know if this piece of trim is there when you dont have the armrest, maybe the centre console is moulded in one piece then.

SuperGeekJames

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 pm

I've fitted it, and it was a big improvement, although not as much as I was hoping. I simply popped my rear centre console cover off, and from there had easy access to the cables and USB receptacle without much hassle. Thankfully I didn't have to take the entire centre console out, phew! My Galaxy Tab A6 tablet draws 930mA from it, and my S6 phone draws 965mA, and both ports seem to work together. Silly me forgot to check whether USB2 becomes enabled in the infotainment with two drives connected.

A big improvement over the 421mA from the single port! It's a shame I couldn't get 2.1A from them, as my tablet's minimum draw is 2A according to its rating label, although it seemed happy enough, and was 41% charged. Some of these pics are upside down, the forum seems to mess with them.

20190714_161919.jpg

20190714_161853.jpg

20190714_161821.jpg

20190714_161440.jpg

20190714_161229.jpg

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:11 pm

1A is still a major improvement, with the 4-500mA my phone was barely able to keep it's charge, when used with AA, and navigation. 1A means that it will actually be able to charge the phone.

The more adventurous person might take it apart and find the current limiting resistor and change this out for a different value to enable higher outputs.

Personally i have had different results with regards to charge, when switching cables, so maybe the cable is also a limiting factor here ?

SuperGeekJames

Post by SuperGeekJames » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 pm

astraowner wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:11 pm
1A is still a major improvement, with the 4-500mA my phone was barely able to keep it's charge, when used with AA, and navigation. 1A means that it will actually be able to charge the phone.

The more adventurous person might take it apart and find the current limiting resistor and change this out for a different value to enable higher outputs.

Personally i have had different results with regards to charge, when switching cables, so maybe the cable is also a limiting factor here ?
My cable is only a short one I got with a powerbank, but I've used it with the bank and my tablet drawing 2A, so I don't think the cable matters. I know a guy on YouTube, CliveDotCom, he's a Scottish electrowiz, probably more than me and you. I'm gonna order a second board, and send it to him as he's really good with electronics, he can decipher almost any circuit board and draw a schematic. He'll know how to mod it further.

The only thing you'll need to watch for is it isn't quite the same shape and colour as the original. It fits in the slot perfectly and clicks, but the fascia is more rounded and black, whereas my old one was rectangular and grey coloured. Not too bad but, yeah, 2A across two ports is a massive improvement. And the voltage stays solid at 5.1V at 900+ mA, whereas the old one dropped below 4.8-9V.

I look forward to yours coming too Astraowner! By the way, are Astraowner and Astramaster the same guy, i.e you? I keep confusing you two!

Return to “Main Astra K chat”