Creaky doors?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Boroboy

Creaky doors?

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Since owning my 2017 1.0t Astra I've noticed that the doors seem to make a creaky noise when going over bumps. Especially the rear two. I've looked them over and if you grab hold of the rear door trim (where it meets the bottom of the windows), give it a pull. They creak. The same if you push them from the outside in. Close to where the outside edges of the door meets the bodywork. Although I didn't notice this on my previous 2016 Astra K. It's especially noisy when I first pull off my drive in the morning and drop off a low kerb slowly. Although I can now hear it often when going over bumps etc. I've just put it down to poor build quality. I've also greased the door striker plate and lock mechanism, made no difference. There's definitely movement there though, even when the doors are locked. Unlike other cars I've owned.
Anyone else have this issue?
I've just mentioned it to the dealer whom I recently bought my car from. When they fit the faulty alarm sensor, they said they'd have a look at that too.

Astra17
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri Vx-line
Astra Options: Side sills, sports style bumpers, 18" 5 twin spoke
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Re: Creaky doors?

Post by Astra17 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Yep I’ve had the same problem with the creaking but I think I may have sorted it at the weekend as it seemed to be getting worse. I have simply applied some car wax polish on the paintwork at the top of the door openings where the rubber strip is in contact with and it has stopped. I think maybe there was some grime buildup or maybe the original polish had worn away? Hopefully it has sorted it but i’ll let you know if it returns.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Astra17 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm
Yep I’ve had the same problem with the creaking but I think I may have sorted it at the weekend as it seemed to be getting worse. I have simply applied some car wax polish on the paintwork at the top of the door openings where the rubber strip is in contact with and it has stopped. I think maybe there was some grime buildup or maybe the original polish had worn away? Hopefully it has sorted it but i’ll let you know if it returns.
Cheers for the info. I might try some silicone grease on the upper door seals. I've used some silicone grease on all the outside edges of the door seals now. Hopefully that'll help, certainly did with a previous Tigra B my wife owned. Helps to keep rubber seals supple.
I've been putting up with the noise for around 3 weeks now.... :lol:

Tzrwesku

Post by Tzrwesku » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi, I have had once this ”squeeky” problem WHEN I was using silicone! Service washed seals and told me NOT TO USE any lubricants to seals, just to wash/clean them. Silicone will help, for short time, after short period squeek will come back. My advice is to wash/clean seals and door frames. Lubricants (silicone, grease and similar) will ”help” any dirt/dust to attach to seals and allows seals to ”slide” againt frame = squeek!! Door seals are meant to be ”dry” because the idea is that seals are flexible and they are not to meant ”move” or ”slide” against frame, they need to be stable.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 am

Tzrwesku wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm
Hi, I have had once this ”squeeky” problem WHEN I was using silicone! Service washed seals and told me NOT TO USE any lubricants to seals, just to wash/clean them. Silicone will help, for short time, after short period squeek will come back. My advice is to wash/clean seals and door frames. Lubricants (silicone, grease and similar) will ”help” any dirt/dust to attach to seals and allows seals to ”slide” againt frame = squeek!! Door seals are meant to be ”dry” because the idea is that seals are flexible and they are not to meant ”move” or ”slide” against frame, they need to be stable.
All the seals were clean, prior to me using silicone, reason they were squeaking (if that was the cause of the noise). Silicone grease can be used to maintain rubber seals, doubt it cause any issues. Certainly stopped the squeaking with the Tigra seals.
I'm not sure whether the silicone grease will help with the noise, I'll find out tomorrow, when I use my car.... :lol: No improvement, then I'll clean it off.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 pm

It's booked into the dealers next week to change the alarm sensor, said they'd have a look at the doors too. The silicone grease didn't help, I'll clean it off. This car is becoming a rattle box. It's certainly the newest car with the most rattles that I've ever owned.

CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Silicone is well known to cause this issue. Usually they get contaminated by silicone in car shampoos.

gummi pflege is said to be quite effective at stopping it and preventing it in the long run. BMW drivers swear by it. Never tried it myself though.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

A lot of car makes suffer from this, bmw fit a material strip (should customer complain) on the car body where the top hard rubber meets the metalwork. I have always lightly sprayed silicone grease on the seals and rub candle wax on the top hard seal, seems to work for me. I make sure I clean both the rubber and the bodywork where the seals touch with a good quality spray window cleaner prior to doing it.

CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 pm

They also use gummi pflege

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm

As the silicone grease didn't work for me. I've cleaned all the rubbers down and edges of the doors. Polished everything. I'll see how it is tomorrow. I did notice there's movement on all the door edges when you push them or pull them from the inside top of the door panels. Then they squeak. Checked the wife's motor for this (none vaux), solid as a rock, no movement on her doors once locked, unlike the Astra. May just be down to design.
Thanks for your input guys.

Return to “Faults & Technical”