Engine Management light on Amber !

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
PeterShort
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6 CDTI 136 ps Start/Stop 6speed manual
Astra Options: F&R park assist , onstar, F&R Heated seats.
Astra Colour: Metallic Deep Sky Blue

Engine Management light on Amber !

Post by PeterShort » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 am

I have just my Astra returned from a local (Vx approved) body repair centre, after some prat done a hit and run on mine the damage was very minor. When I collected the car it was explained they had noticed the Amber engine manage light was on and a ambient temperature sensor under the front of the car was faulty( no where near the accident damage ) apparently it was noticed when the front was off for spraying. The car was functioning fine before it went there and had just been serviced the day previous by Vx , since then the heating has been eractic against the settings . Would this sensor bring the EM light on, my view is it should not, the repairers have said the car is okay, but ordered a new sensor. But I get the feeling Im going to be fobbed off . Any opinions

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Engine Management light on Amber !

Post by Redman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi
I would think it can bring the engine management light on, not sure though. The engine ecu needs to know the outside ambient temperature in order for it to fuel the engine correctly from cold. They must have damaged it removing the bumper or forgot to reconnect it up. It may affect the heating, I know my auto heated seats setting is determined by the outside temp.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 pm

NO

The ambient temperature sensor is normally only used to show outside temperature.

Engine ECU has its own sensor mounted in the engine.

Have never seen a Vauxhall that would flag the EML if that sensor was bad. Usually it just shows a bad temperature
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redman

Post by Redman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm

They can affect your heating system see here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tgSrnhv6cn

Your ecu usually has three means of measuring air intake temp usually one on the mass air pressure sensor, one on the mass air flow meter and the outside temp. All will be slightly different temp readings depending on engine temp and weather conditions. I think the fault code is P0074 (AAS fault) All these sensors are continually monitored on today's modern engines.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... UgmwZWobB4

Once a diagnostic tool is used it should display a fault code and hopefully it will be a simple fix.

PeterShort
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6 CDTI 136 ps Start/Stop 6speed manual
Astra Options: F&R park assist , onstar, F&R Heated seats.
Astra Colour: Metallic Deep Sky Blue

Post by PeterShort » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Astraowner, it does indeed affect the amber EML after much ado the sensor was fitted and the light went out , the next few miles will test this point :)

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm

PeterShort wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm
Astraowner, it does indeed affect the amber EML after much ado the sensor was fitted and the light went out , the next few miles will test this point :)
Great that it's sorted.

I have had numerous Vauxhall's and this is the first i have seen that the outside temperature sensor used for anything but the temperature reading in the display.

So it's probably not even the good old PTC resistor in a plastic moulding, that has been used since only god knows when, they use any more :)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redman

Post by Redman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Glad you have got it sorted and it was an easy fix. I shouldn't think it will bother you again.
I take it they paid for it as it was their fault. These things happen.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”