Re: Tyre wear

Post by iavorid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Danny91 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am
Crosseyxpower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am
Danny91 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am

In what way are premium tyres a false economy? yeah your cheap ditch finders might not wear as quick, but thats just because they are a hard compound. Dont just judge a tyre on its wear rates :lol: :lol:
In what i said above retard! We are simply commuting to work not racing on a race track so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?
what you said above was complete and utter nonsense. "I do believe expensive tyres are good for the first month then they degrade really quickly and end up being the same quality as cheaper one's." I mean come on. Who's the retard really?

"so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?" The very simple answer of the massive amount of extra R&D and testing of premium tyres as opposed to budgets. Why bother scrimping and saving by buying cheap shite, when the tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road?

Go look at some tests between budgets and premium. especially the wet braking and handling tests, they're shocking!!
Hi Danny,

Agreed with everything you say.
An even simpler way to say that more expensive tyres are better: you will be convinced the first time you try to stop before you and the lorry in front try to occupy the same space :D
Cheap tyres glyde, premium grip, as simple as that.
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

Danny91

Post by Danny91 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm

iavorid wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Danny91 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am
Crosseyxpower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am

In what i said above retard! We are simply commuting to work not racing on a race track so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?
what you said above was complete and utter nonsense. "I do believe expensive tyres are good for the first month then they degrade really quickly and end up being the same quality as cheaper one's." I mean come on. Who's the retard really?

"so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?" The very simple answer of the massive amount of extra R&D and testing of premium tyres as opposed to budgets. Why bother scrimping and saving by buying cheap shite, when the tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road?

Go look at some tests between budgets and premium. especially the wet braking and handling tests, they're shocking!!
Hi Danny,

Agreed with everything you say.
An even simpler way to say that more expensive tyres are better: you will be convinced the first time you try to stop before you and the lorry in front try to occupy the same space :D
Cheap tyres glyde, premium grip, as simple as that.
Hi Iavorid,

Haha well it’s true lol. Tyres and brakes are the parts of a car that you DON’T want to be cheaping out on lol.

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Back on the original subject, any one have any experience with Avon tyres? £70 each fitted from National Tyre centres

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

After looking around, despite my moaning about the Michelin’s decided to go with Primacy 4s after getting them online for £293.60 fitted for 4 tyres at ATS. They are running a promotion with £50 of four Michelin tyres plus 10% of if fitted on Mondays and a free Amazon Fire Tablet.

loonybin
Astra Model: sri 1.6 cdti
Astra Options: intellilux headlights & parking pack
Astra Colour: flip chip silver

Post by loonybin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 pm

always buy premium , they are the only thing between you and the ditch.

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Rob14 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 am

Dimlaith wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm
After looking around, despite my moaning about the Michelin’s decided to go with Primacy 4s after getting them online for £293.60 fitted for 4 tyres at ATS. They are running a promotion with £50 of four Michelin tyres plus 10% of if fitted on Mondays and a free Amazon Fire Tablet.
What made you choose the primacy over the cross climates. Were there any others you considered? I need tyres soon.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 am

choose the primacy mainly due to price over the cross climates. apart from wearing a bit quickly the primacy have been a good tyre

mjd1499

Post by mjd1499 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:58 am

This, from previously...

“Just had 4 Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs fitted, I went for the lowest noise rated tyres with decent wet grip and wear rates, they’re noticeably quieter than the T001 Bridgestones that they replaced, and the overall feel is a much more ‘cushioned’ and refined feel with none of the hollowness of the OEM T001s, with sharper turn in too, although that’s probably due to sharper, newer shoulders...

Recommended,

Mike”

More miles done now, they’re utterly tremendous...

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drpau

Post by drpau » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 am

I would check out the tyre reviews website. They pull together all the review from adac etc etc. I find it really useful. I tend to favour high grip over wear rate personally.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:52 pm

I tend to stick with mid range tyres. As we know tyre wear can also be down to driving style. I've now fitted GT-radials 4s tyres all round, to my K now. They're an all season tyre, around 1/3 rd cheaper than cross climates. Very happy with their overall performance in all driving conditions, including snow. I'd say a premium tyre may edge them under hard dry driving conditions, but as I'm not driving an F1 car. I'm happy with their overall performance in all driving conditions. Good price too. Regards to wear, bit early to tell. I've now covered around 2k with them, around 1mm used on the front tyres.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”