Fuel type and lspi

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Fuel type and lspi

Post by Redman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 am

Hi All
Read an article regarding fuel and lspi testing. Basically it said lspi doesn't ruin the engine it is the random superknock created by it in petrol turbo charged engines that can. It went on to say the higher the fuel Ron value did not reduce lspi incidents but it did drastically reduce superknock events. Superknock is the damaging force.
The ecu reprogramming recall notice does mention using premium fuel, not necessarily branded fuel.

The engine used for testing was the Ford ecoboost engine.

AK16

Re: Fuel type and lspi

Post by AK16 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am

Totally different type of engine design, but a lot of Honda owners used to use Super Unleaded to prevent detonation & misfires in high revving type r engines. The stock ecu ran a richer mixture (11.5:1) between 5600-7900 rpm in my old car to keep the cylinder temperatures down & prevent small misfiring events, that's why a lot of old Hondas are so hard to remap. :mrgreen:

I'm using Super Unleaded in my 1.4T (140ps) engine at the moment.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Another good reason to use premium unleaded with direct injection turbo petrol engines, IMO.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

MOOGLEYS
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MOOGLEYS » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 pm

I use standard Shell fuel and no issues or noticeable performance difference.

Redman

Post by Redman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm
Another good reason to use premium unleaded with direct injection turbo petrol engines, IMO.

I tend to use shell v power every 3rd fill and Tesco momentum the other times. Always use high Ron fuel.

Redman

Post by Redman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 pm

MOOGLEYS wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 pm
I use standard Shell fuel and no issues or noticeable performance difference.
I don't notice any increased performance or fuel economy using higher octane fuel, it just is another means of reducing the risk of engine damage in my mind. The article was a long read and I didn't fully understand some of the jargon. The higher Ron fuels did reduce superknock, which can only be a good thing imo.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 am

I'd just run the engine on regular fuel, the fuel it was designed to run on. I see no point of wasting money on higher octane fuel, there will always be the potential of lspi issues on this engine, down to design.
With vaux changing their oil within the production run, points to engine design. These engines should have need tested to destruction, prior to production.
I've never had any petrol related engine running issues with petrol engines I've owned in over 30 years of driving. I've always used regular fuel.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am

I'm sure they are tested to destruction. There will be thousands of 1.4Ts running about not being cared for and still using Dexos2 oil and showing no signs of LSPI.

The percentage of affected engines is tiny but massively magnified by the internet which would have you believe that the majority of 1.4Ts are faulty, which is just not the case.

The high octane fuel is purely needed for it's cleaning abilities on a DI engine.

Redman

Post by Redman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 am
I'd just run the engine on regular fuel, the fuel it was designed to run on. I see no point of wasting money on higher octane fuel, there will always be the potential of lspi issues on this engine, down to design.
With vaux changing their oil within the production run, points to engine design. These engines should have need tested to destruction, prior to production.
I've never had any petrol related engine running issues with petrol engines I've owned in over 30 years of driving. I've always used regular fuel.
Hi Boroboy
The ecu update recommended the use of higher additive fuels irrespective of what it was designed for(tsb 3319) presumably because it reduces the chances of superknock.
The research which still is not solved into lspi was done by all the car companies together. The oil wasn't developed for these gdi turbo engines until 2015,and took along time to manufacture and distribute. All car manufacturer's who make these engines have had problems and use the appropriate oil to reduce lspi.

20180423_175049.jpg

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Branded fuels, as in not Supermarket? Still 95 RON though.