When should the air filter be changed?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
MOOGLEYS
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Re: When should the air filter be changed?

Post by MOOGLEYS » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:05 pm
MOOGLEYS wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:48 pm
Crosseyxpower wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Waste of money, time and effort.
Yep £10 a year and about 5 mins of my time. I feel totally ripped off tbh..... ??

I do a full service inc all filters and fluids in my cars every year regardless of mileage always have always will.
Well good for you but don't give out useless advice! Not even in any manufacturer's servicing booklets are air filters to be changed every year!
But what harm is caused by changing it yearly ? When I change it is pretty grotty looking and has obviously absorbed plenty of dust and crud. Just because it can last longer does not mean it’s what’s best for the engine. A cleaner filter is always going to be better and for a few Quid and 5 mins effort why would you not change it ?

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Completely agree, especially if you can do the work yourself.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Shaky » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Yeah, I agree with the above. If you can do the work yourself, I can't see the problem. You can't cause any problems by changing fluids/filters early.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
AGR Seats, Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Shaky wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm
Yeah, I agree with the above. If you can do the work yourself, I can't see the problem. You can't cause any problems by changing fluids/filters early.
I neither said that you can't do the work yourself or that it would cause any problems!
The person to start this post asked how often to change the air filter? The answer is you follow the manufacturers recommendations which is every main service which i believe is every two years. I'm merely trying to save somebody some money and effort by sticking to this rather than be told to do it yearly! If you choose to do that then fine but I'd prefer to give advice that is stated in your manufacturers service booklet.
Do any of you change the gearbox oil or fuel filter every year as well?..... No didn't think so.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Shaky » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:53 pm
I neither said that you can't do the work yourself or that it would cause any problems!
The person to start this post asked how often to change the air filter? The answer is you follow the manufacturers recommendations which is every main service which i believe is every two years. I'm merely trying to save somebody some money and effort by sticking to this rather than be told to do it yearly! If you choose to do that then fine but I'd prefer to give advice that is stated in your manufacturers service booklet.
Do any of you change the gearbox oil or fuel filter every year as well?..... No didn't think so.
Yeah, my bad :oops: I got on the "How Often I do it" band-wagon and the Q was how often SHOULD it be done. My fuel filter used to be changed every year in my old van but that was a diesel.....and I'm a bit ocd :lol: :mrgreen: :shock: Don't wanna add fuel to the fire.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
AGR Seats, Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Apologies guys. I forgot to thank you for the feedback. I presumed that the website would give me some kind of notification that I got replies on my posts. But it doesn't. Anyhow thank you all for the advice.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”