USB socket repair inside £1.50

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: USB socket repair inside £1.50

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 pm

Could be one of the data pins that was bent or broken.

4 pins, 2 for power 2 for data. If power pins are OK it will charge but if datapins are broken it will not connect
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Is it a big job to change the port
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm

You do need to disassemble a bit of trim to be able to get the part it sits in, out of the car.

I took this part out to retrofit the powerflex bar and it took me about 1 hour to disassemble everything and put it back together.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:11 pm

astraowner wrote:Could be one of the data pins that was bent or broken.

4 pins, 2 for power 2 for data. If power pins are OK it will charge but if datapins are broken it will not connect
I’ve replaced the socket today but there was no power to it although the aux connection works fine. The radio also works fine. I was unable to get the Apple CarPlay to work though. Tried a new genuine lead, no joy. It’s a June 2016 Reg car. New fuses had blown so I guess this supply will come via the radio? Maybe there is a fuse in the back of the radio module?Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:26 am

11thastra wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:11 pm
astraowner wrote:Could be one of the data pins that was bent or broken.

I’ve replaced the socket today but there was no power to it although the aux connection works fine. The radio also works fine. I was unable to get the Apple CarPlay to work though. Tried a new genuine lead, no joy. It’s a June 2016 Reg car. New fuses had blown so I guess this supply will come via the radio? Maybe there is a fuse in the back of the radio module?Image

Maybe they were even so naughty as to put a fuse inside the HMI unit as well.

If this is the case, it will almost certainly be a surface mounted component which will require someone with skills to open up, measure and replace the fuse.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:30 am
M1chaelR wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 am
Haha yes, similar to mine. I think they changed to USB 2 for Model Year 17 or so but as you said, they then missed out on the AUX.

As for swapping it out for a USB 2 port, not sure how you'd go about that!
Well that depends on where the power comes from.

If it comes thru the USB lead that plugs into the back of the mini USB connector, then there is not a lot that can be done because then the power will ultimatively come from the "radio" and if this is not able to deliver any more than 500 mA then i would have to change the radio.

If the power comes from the 6 pin header next to the connector (Aux in only needs 3 pins (AUX-L, AUX-R and GND) then it would be possible to maybe change the USB socket part with the AUX input for a non AUX input from a 2017 forward).

If all else fails, i guess it would be possible to just bypass the power supply and power it directly from a more potent power supply.

I just can not get my head around the fact that they made it a 500mA power outlet in the first place. With GPS running and streaming radio or music which keeps the phone's radio transmitter and reciver active, drawing a lot of current my phone actually slowly discharges even though it is connected to the car.

On the subject of stupid design decisions, i also find it really strange that the connector for the Android auto is inside the armrest in the middle of the car, in a place where you would normally place your arm.

The problem offcourse being that this is possibly the worst place to get GPS reception.

Must admit that i am tempted to buy a phone holder for the powerflex bar and modify this to work with Android auto.....Yet another thing i really struggle to understand, is not a standard feature as this would be a much more ideal place to put the phone.

Ultimatively, when wireless Android Auto is implemented (Probably never for this model) this will be less of a problem as i can just charge my phone, using any charger.

I wonder if the 2 rear USB sockets, in cars with heated rear seats, also are weak 500mA type.
Hi.
Just had astra back from Vauxhall’s after they looked into why the projection doesn’t work.
They have said They can’t fix the head unit and want £625 to supply and fit a new one ☹️☹️☹️
Has anyone ever replaced the power supply lead to the usb/ aux socket which fixed the above problem please?

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 am

11thastra wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 pm
Hi.
Just had astra back from Vauxhall’s after they looked into why the projection doesn’t work.
They have said They can’t fix the head unit and want £625 to supply and fit a new one ☹️☹️☹️
Has anyone ever replaced the power supply lead to the usb/ aux socket which fixed the above problem please?
Ouch, that stings.

Did they look at the socket itself, i would recon that the probability of the socket going bad is a lot bigger than the cable gone bad. This simply because of the fact that mechanical stuff usually breaks a lot more than cables and electronics.

If it is indeed the USB port on the device that has gone bad, i would imagine that it has been subjected to some sort of short circuit that has blown a "fuse" inside the unit. Usually this "fuse" is some surface mounted fuse or fuse resistor and it can be replaced if you know what to look for.

If you have a spare USB lead, a voltmeter a pair of snips and basic knowledge of how stuff works, you could cut the cable, strip the outer jacket and find the (usually) red and black wires (Normally the other 2 are green and white, those are the data pins).

Plug the USB connector into the usb socket and measure if there is indeed 5V across those 2.

If there is, then its not a voltage problem, and then it will be down to, either bad connection in the datapins or maybe even the chip that handles data has gone bad = New unit, as this part can probably not be sourced and changed easily.

Never heard of a unit that has gone bad, to the point of not working at all. Only connector problems that were fixed by swapping out the USB socket.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm

astraowner wrote:
11thastra wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 pm
Hi.
They have said They can’t fix the head unit and want £625 to supply and fit a new one
Ouch, that stings.

Did they look at the socket itself, i would recon that the probability of the socket going bad is a lot bigger than the cable gone bad. This simply because of the fact that mechanical stuff usually breaks a lot more than cables and electronics.

If it is indeed the USB port on the device that has gone bad, i would imagine that it has been subjected to some sort of short circuit that has blown a "fuse" inside the unit. Usually this "fuse" is some surface mounted fuse or fuse resistor and it can be replaced if you know what to look for.

If you have a spare USB lead, a voltmeter a pair of snips and basic knowledge of how stuff works, you could cut the cable, strip the outer jacket and find the (usually) red and black wires (Normally the other 2 are green and white, those are the data pins).

Plug the USB connector into the usb socket and measure if there is indeed 5V across those 2.

If there is, then its not a voltage problem, and then it will be down to, either bad connection in the datapins or maybe even the chip that handles data has gone bad = New unit, as this part can probably not be sourced and changed easily.

Never heard of a unit that has gone bad, to the point of not working at all. Only connector problems that were fixed by swapping out the USB socket.
Picked up our Astra on Tuesday after the looked to see why the projection didn’t work after usb socket damaged and shorted.
Socket replaced with new one.
No fuse for usb/aux socket.
Also quoted £625 to replace head unit
Found a shop that can divorce second hand units from original car but won’t know if any good until you go to fit and try it.
Does anyone know if there is anywhere that can repair these LG head units please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm

11thastra wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Picked up our Astra on Tuesday after the looked to see why the projection didn’t work after usb socket damaged and shorted.
Found a shop that can divorce second hand units from original car but won’t know if any good until you go to fit and try it.
Does anyone know if there is anywhere that can repair these LG head units please?
There are usually some sort of fuse og fuseable resistor inside the box.

Dont know anyone that is a bit savvy, with electronics by any chance ?

The problem nowadays is that the people that can actually diagnose and repair these things are thinning out, as nobody wants stuff repaired anymore, they just scrap it and buy new stuff.

Maybe if you find an ECU repairshop, they usually have someone that knows a resistor from a microprocessor.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Thu May 02, 2019 4:43 pm

astraowner wrote:
11thastra wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm

There are usually some sort of fuse og fuseable resistor inside the box.

Dont know anyone that is a bit savvy, with electronics by any chance ?

The problem nowadays is that the people that can actually diagnose and repair these things are thinning out, as nobody wants stuff repaired anymore, they just scrap it and buy new stuff.

Maybe if you find an ECU repairshop, they usually have someone that knows a resistor from a microprocessor.
If you know what your looking for here’s a link to some photos of the head units internals. https://fccid.io/BEJLC7S/Internal-Photo ... os-3198222

Return to “Faults & Technical”