Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: SERVICE ESC

Post by Redman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

PACMANIA wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:40 am
Good morning all just when to start my car this morning instrument cluster says esc service. What does that exactly mean. Ignition coil compression in the engine or LSPI issue or is it all of the above. Just had a service and the car was fine. Piston etc.
Have you got a basic engine diagnostic tool to see if any cylinder misfires have been detected. If you are getting misfire that bring on the service esc message you would be aware of the misfire whilst driving.

If this message is due to misfires it is because the engine ecu stops the esc system bcm from automatically reducing engine power if needed. Basically the esc is telling you I am not able to work fully due to not having control of the engine ecu.

You look after your car Pacmania and have been well aware of lspi and the need not to lug the engine. Also you have had the car from new and it has low mileage, so very unlikely to be engine damage. Probably needs resetting at the dealers.

When I had my astra j I got something similar and it turned out to be a tech service bulletin that required the esc reprogramming with the latest software. Take a picture of it if it happens again and off to the dealers Pacmania.

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks Redman no misfire all the lights turn off when I start the engine except park brake which is normal. And the car just done 14k over 3years. The car fine no problems speed kicks in. No juddering hiccups misfiring nothing engine super quiet

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm

This alert came on mine the other day when it was freezing outside and took few seconds to start. Not happed since
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Just had good run on the motorway. No problems car running lovely. Will take it in on Wednesday if there a bugs they cleared the faults codes. May get a shock we need to replace the engine :?: strange one this. Also was cold this morning when it pop up at 3am in the morning

thejohnhead

Post by thejohnhead » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

I am really keen to hear what happens. Mine is a 17 plate, 19,000 miles and 'service esc' comes on I would say 1 in every 3 startups. I have no loss of power, nothing obviously wrong with the car when driving it but I want to get this sorted whilst still under manufacturers warranty. I have read in a number of places that this can be due to loads of different things, some people saying coils others are saying it needs a complete engine rebuild. Irritatingly I have owned mine for 3 and a half months so I am out of warranty from the garage I purchased it from but, this warning has only happend since I got it serviced last month.

Sparx

Post by Sparx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 am

Will add my 2p as I have the same issue with my 16 plate Astra 1.4T 150 with 17k miles on the clock.

One morning the 'service esc' came on the dashboard, but then disappeared on startup seconds later (this was about a month ago). The car seemed to drive ok but I booked it in with my local dealer to be safe. They had a look and couldn't find a fault, so said to keep an eye on it.

We went away for the weekend and (kind of fortunately) upon the return leg home, was getting off the motorway into my home town (300 mile round trip) the car started to feel like it was losing power and juddering, it was horrendous to drive, then 'service esc' come back on.

Booked it straight back in with my local Vauxhall dealer, they identified one of the cylinders was low on compression. Fast forward 3 weeks of them testing it, I got annoyed at the time taken and complained to Vauxhall. The next day the dealer rings me and says Vauxhall have authorised a whole new engine!

So I'm now hopefully getting my car the end of this week (4+ weeks later) with a brand new engine.

AdieMcc

Post by AdieMcc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 am

This sounds good if you have warranty left. I have a 65 plate and mine ran out last September. Had this message come up on dash few weeks ago trying to start it when it was freezing outside...
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:39 am

AdieMcc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 am
This sounds good if you have warranty left. I have a 65 plate and mine ran out last September. Had this message come up on dash few weeks ago trying to start it when it was freezing outside...
Maybe consider buying an extended warranty that covers all engine repairs. Pay monthly until you are happy it isn't engine related, hopefully it isn't then cancel policy if you can't afford it.

AdieMcc

Post by AdieMcc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 am

Thinking about getting rid soon. Had car 2 1/2 years now and fancy a change.

AdieMcc

Post by AdieMcc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 am

Do you think the insurance company would write it off if it needs a new engine?

Return to “Faults & Technical”