Poor Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
damas7

Re: Poor Headlights

Post by damas7 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 am

I will take a photo of my Astra K headlights with xenon to show that it is a little better (20-25%) more light than halogen.

pepe

Post by pepe » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am

Even without your comparison picture I do beleive that your xenons are/appear more bright then halogen.
More interesting would be to measure the lumens of the halogen, the corsa e xenon and the astra retrofit xenon/led.
Bear in mind the human eye does not see brightness in a linear way. For example a 4000lm Xenon does not appear twice as bright as 2000lm.
The difference in colour does have a major effect though, 1000lm of white light does look a lot brighter than 1000lm of yellow light.

Now back to your point. The ECE R48 law dictates that xenons with max 2000 lumens do not need auto leveling and washers.
The corsa E has factory fitted the 25w D5S (NOT the D1S as you mention) hence they do not have washers/levelling.
When it comes to the Astra K, the e-marking on the housing is the issue not the headlight washers. An e-marked halogen light unit must have e-marked halogen bulbs. You cannot e-mark an HiD replacement with a halogen style base (H1,H3,H4,H7 etc) as the regulations for passing the certification for e-marking define the location of the filament and neither HiD replacements nor LEDs have filaments.

However, some countries do approve aftermarket xenon, other countries dont. Apparently Portugal is less strict, the UK, Denmark and other countries are more strict.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Callum15920 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:07 pm
Unfortunately not 🤔 it's just a standard halogen bulb
Are we talking about the ST or the non ST or both ?

I saw another thread on here where there were 2 number plate lights, that were obviously ordinary bulbs, but on my ST, there is only one lamp that looks like a LED.

It's raining right now here, otherwise i would just pop out and take it out to check :)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I really do give a shit to the light collors.
My goal is to see better in raining nights were I near pass over a boy, after that I told my self to get better light.
I repeat if Astra K use open retrofit headlights I suppose Philips White Vision would be enough to drive in raining nights.
But projector headlights take down the power of halogen bulbs.
In Portuguese MOT people with this kind of headlights with halogen problems are complaining about the poor light and they have reason, to their security and mine.
I repeat My Opel Astra K with xenon H7C 35W 6000K has far less glare and output than the new Mercedes, Mini or some BMW and we should be worried about this cars, they are really dangerous for all the others drivers.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 pm

This is the low headlights from my Opel Astra K from inside the car.
Two meters from the wall.
This is Xenon H7C 35W 6000K.

IMG_20190523_214700.jpg

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 pm

When my Astra went in for an MOT recently I adjusted the angle of the lights so that they were as high and legally allowed and that made a big difference as they were factory set very low, one of them in particular.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:43 pm

I took my Astra K with xenon to the Portuguese MOT, the light was tested and was OK. The inspector asked me to ask to Opel to make an adjustment to the homologation to improve the poor light of halogen bulbs in projectors headlight.
Because there is no problem with xenon light as they are H7C 35W 6000K.
Take photos of your halogen lights of yours Astra K, between 2 or 3 meters from a wall and show here to compare.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:11 pm

The right side of the road very well illuminated by halogen casing headlight it is very important to avoid people walking without sidewalks and bycicles. There are many deads in Portugal when people walk in dark roads and bycicles
So instead of a straight light without a right elevation seen in xenon and some LED casing, it is an error to me, it that case it can rise the danger of walking and cycling in Portuguese roads.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi, nothing about a pic of H7 halogen light to show and compare here?

damas7

Post by damas7 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:04 am

Have you all change cars to get better lights?
Opel/Vauxhall has made a big error using halogen instead using LED in ALL Astra K cars! It was a very stupidity decision!
I will change my car because of that stupidity!

Return to “Faults & Technical”