How do I get Main Beam (Blue) to stay on?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
stevgil
Astra Model: 1.4 Petrol Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Lava Red

How do I get Main Beam (Blue) to stay on?

Post by stevgil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Everyone
I have an Astra K 1.4 Turbo Elite Nav 2017 and last night was driving on dark country roads for miles yet I wasn't able to get my main beam (blue) to stay on permanently and had to hold it by pulling it with my fingers to do this. I have the Auto selected on my lights and usually this is OK for town driving etc. I know my Elite Nav doesn't have the automatic headlight system that the SRi has but surely I must be able to get the (blue) main beam to stay on. I've looked through the manual and it says either pull or push it to switch on or off the main beam. I don't use it much but last night was pretty daunting to say the least driving back in complete darkness on country roads with not a car in sight. I've just had another go whilst my car was stationary and am frightened of forcing the plastic puller too much in case I break it. Ami I missing something? Can anyone please help?

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Re: How do I get Main Beam (Blue) to stay on?

Post by AdieMcc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Push it forward
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Push the stalk away from you
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

stevgil

Post by stevgil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've tried pushing the stalk away but it doesn't click or switch to anything. All I can do with the mechanism is pull it when I want to 'flash' my main beam but it springs back when I let go. as mention, I'm reluctant to force it any further. I suppose I'll need to take it to a Vauxhall garage and ask them to do it.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Have key in position 2 before starts engine try push away see if that puts them on
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

Splint
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI Sports Tourer 136 HP
Astra Options: Automatic, business line,
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by Splint » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 pm

I dont know if this advice will help, but you have to turn the light on by turning the round knob (left to the steering wheel) away from auto to the II position. And then you Will be able to have the light on constant. And of corse the stalk have to be pushed away.

stevgil

Post by stevgil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried everything but still no joy. I'm going to phone Vauxhall tomorrow and ask them with a view to booking it in for them to sort it.

Best wishes

Red21120
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4 Turbo
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Red21120 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:12 pm

I’ve just tried mine, it’s 1.4t 2016, and to get main beam on constant I had to turn the engine on. Anything else and the pushing away doesn’t do anything until the engine is running.

stevgil

Post by stevgil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello, problem solved, so many thanks Red21120. I'd been trying it without having the engine actually on. And yesterday when I was on those dark roads and the engine was running, I never pushed the stalk but pulled. Again, many thanks to all for your suggestions, which is why it's great to have these forums in the first place as 9 times out of 10 someone will finally twig the problem!
Many thanks

Return to “Main Astra K chat”