Auto start/stop start

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Dimlaith

Auto start/stop start

Post by Dimlaith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 am

The auto stop start on my 2016 CDTI has been faultless at working since I have had the car. However, for the past 2 days it hasn’t worked at all. I don’t believe it’s doing a regen because the exhaust note normally changes whilst doing this. Any ideas?

LADmachining
Astra Model: Astra-K 1.6 CDTi SRi Nav 136
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Re: Auto start/stop start

Post by LADmachining » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 am

Outside temperature can influence the operation of stop/start, so if it is very hot where you are at the moment, this could be the cause.

Have you tried turning off the air con to see if this makes a difference?

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

It was very hot yesterday but cool this morning, maybe the battery is low due to air con being used a lot? Saying that it’s only been on for an hour at the most on the drive home.

drwharris

Post by drwharris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Having the front demister on will also affect auto stop. Took me ages to figure that out.

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am

Front demister hasn’t been used for weeks. Start stop just randomly stopped working. I suspect it will randomly start working or I will live without it. Next car I buy I will make sure none of this stupid stuff is on it.

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Been reading up on start/stop. Could be the battery not chargeing fully or a number of different things. Might book it in to dealer as it’s still under warranty.

iavorid
Astra Model: MY2018 1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation
Astra Options: Navi 900, WP1, Rear cam, Versitility pack, keyless
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by iavorid » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Dimlaith wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am
Front demister hasn’t been used for weeks. Start stop just randomly stopped working. I suspect it will randomly start working or I will live without it. Next car I buy I will make sure none of this stupid stuff is on it.
Hi there,
I think I can sched some light here - Auto S/S systems are not an optional extras anymore, they come fitted as standard, no one asks anymore, whether we like/want them or not. :D
The S/S system might not be working not only because the outside temp is very high and your aircon must work doubletime to compensate, but your battery might be "becoming exhausted" (aka going flat). Have you taken a measurement of the voltage recently?
If the aircon is the reason, a few days where temperatures are not high might kick start the system working again without any interference. :)

Although there are 14 or so criteria that should be met (listed in the manual), I've noticed only 2 make a great contribution - battery voltage and temperature/airconditioning (be it hot or cold)... if the car is in operating temperature that is.
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

Astralis

Post by Astralis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 pm

I've noticed that in the hot weather that the engine is never off for quite as long as when it's cold - I haven't measured it but it's maybe 3 minutes in the colder weather and about a 30 seconds to a minute in the hot weather - must be the battery voltage making the difference.

Return to “Faults & Technical”