Auto stop start

Useful How To posts
stirlingb
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip silver

Auto stop start

Post by stirlingb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to either disable or default to OFF the "auto stop start" function ?
Quite honestly I think it's dangerous and only there to bring official MPG figures down to the required tagets.
How many times have you slowly rolled up to a roundabout looking for a gap, then floored it and nothing happens because the engine has cut out ?

Skyrimmer
Astra Model: Sri nav 1.6t
Astra Options: 18in bi colour alloys, parking sensors, winter pac
Astra Colour: Pull me over red

Re: Auto stop start

Post by Skyrimmer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:37 pm

You should have a button to disable the start stop during the current trip. There is no way to disable it permanently. See page 159 in the manual. The button looks like an A with an arrow around it.

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 pm

stirlingb wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm
How many times have you slowly rolled up to a roundabout looking for a gap, then floored it and nothing happens because the engine has cut out ?
Never really....
In fact, if you "slowly roll up to a roundabout", the engine does not even stop.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm

astramaster wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 pm
stirlingb wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm
Never really....
In fact, if you "slowly roll up to a roundabout", the engine does not even stop.
Hi

I agree never had an issue with the start / stop.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

Ty5500

Post by Ty5500 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 am

Same here, it never turned off the engine unintentionally. Are you approaching the roundabouts in neutral with the clutch released? As long as you leave it in a gear and press the clutch it wont turn off

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm

The only explanation for stirlingb's experience is if the car is automatic, my auto (not a vauxhall) will stop the engine whilst the brake is pressed and this may include the last few moments before coming to a full stop at a junction, If this is the case, then I don't know of a solution short of checking for a 'stop/start' fuse

If, on the other hand the car is manual, the stop/start should not operate until the clutch is released whilst in neutral. This is not conducive to a quick getaway in any case!
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including current Elite in Emerald Green 1.6CDTi 110
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia ST
Scotia Grey Discovery Sport HSE Lux

davesd1
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 Diesel 136
Astra Options: Parking sensors
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by davesd1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 pm

The first thing I do is push the button to disable the stop/start.I've nearly been caught out a couple of times slowing down in traffic,then attempting to pull away and the cars cut-out.I only activate it when i'm sitting in a traffic jam for any length of time,then I have to floor the pedal to start it.Just my experience.

24/mk 7
Astra Model: 1.6t 200s/s
Astra Colour: Granite grey

Post by 24/mk 7 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Been caught out couple of times with the stop/start cutting in, the diesel insignia I owned b4 my astra could restart the engine with the brake pedal depressed but the brake pedal has to be fully released b4 the astra engine restarts .Left me lookin a knob a few times at lights one of my few gripes as I enjoy my astra v much ...

ketves
Astra Model: 2018 Premium (Elite Nav)
Astra Options: Sports pack, fuel driven heater, adaptive cruise
Astra Colour: Flip chip silver

Post by ketves » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 am

If you dont want it, get something draining your battery - the Auto stop start system dont work when the battery is a bit low.

I got a dashcam, connected to a Blackview thing that cut the dashcam power when the battery reach 12.8v. It's connected directly to the battery (via fuse) and ensures that when I am driving normally the Auto start stop system never engage. Am currently on summer holiday, driving 6 hours a day, this makes the Auto start stop system work faultlessly.

Quarryhunslet
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTi BiTurbo SRi Nav
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by Quarryhunslet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

If I don't want the Stop Start to work, I simply leave the front Demist button turned on. I think I'd had my car for about 6 months before I realised that this was stopping it from working, I even mentioned that it wasn't working to my dealer, but they didn't seem to know why.

Another thing that I have noticed is that when the car is auto stopped, you don't need to press the clutch pedal to restart the engine, you can move the gear lever slightly, and the engine will restart.

Return to “How To”