Engine oil and other queries

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
thelizardking

Engine oil and other queries

Post by thelizardking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi everybody,

Apologies in advance if these questions have been asked a thousand times before but I'm a first time car owner and my Vauxhall dealership leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to competence and helpfulness.

I have a 2016 SRI with a 1.4T engine and what I'd like to know is what engine oil is optimal for the car. I'd also like to know the best engine coolant to use and what brake fluid you'd recommended.

I'm fed up being given umpteen conflicting answers by the supposed experts at the dealership and it'd be great if someone on here could advise me in laymans terms.

Thanks! :)

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Engine oil and other queries

Post by Redman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi
You must use dexos 1 generation 2 engine oil and the manufacturer states 5w/30 is prefered on the petrol 1.4t. Other viscosities can be used but they must be (D1 G2 ).
I am on the uderstanding it is red antifreeze which is of 50% antifreeze and 50% water mix. Red antifreeze is extended life antifreeze, due to the corrosion inhibitors not degrading for about 5 years.

thelizardking

Post by thelizardking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Redman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:18 pm
Hi
You must use dexos 1 generation 2 engine oil and the manufacturer states 5w/30 is prefered on the petrol 1.4t. Other viscosities can be used but they must be (D1 G2 ).
Thanks Redman, thats beyond helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

What about in regards of coolant temperature and brake fluid to use? My service manual says the coolant last used was -33 but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that -37 is optimal. As for the brake fluid am I correct in saying it doesn't matter if you use DOT 4 or DOT 5 and that they can be mixed?

It's no fun being the only person in the family with a car, I'm a fish out of water but slowly learning!

Cheers again :)

Redman

Post by Redman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I haven't had to top up engine coolant or brake fluid in 2 years of ownership on my 1.4 T. If I needed to top up I would buy a universal red which can look pink premixed and you won't go wrong in my opinion.
I don't know about mixing brake fluids dot numbers ,try googling it perhaps.
In the winter I use a 50/50 mix of screen wash now. This is because a few posts on here have reported the hose going over to the rear screen wash has froze and burst behind the glove box, causing electrical problems. So make sure you squirt your rear wiper to get the 50/50 mix in the pipe in winter.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Dot 4 for break fluid be alright as I had buy some for previous car and there was only dot 4 around
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

thelizardking

Post by thelizardking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Redman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:47 pm
I haven't had to top up engine coolant or brake fluid in 2 years of ownership on my 1.4 T. If I needed to top up I would buy a universal red which can look pink premixed and you won't go wrong in my opinion.
I don't know about mixing brake fluids dot numbers ,try googling it perhaps.
In the winter I use a 50/50 mix of screen wash now. This is because a few posts on here have reported the hose going over to the rear screen wash has froze and burst behind the glove box, causing electrical problems. So make sure you squirt your rear wiper to get the 50/50 mix in the pipe in winter.
Thanks again, you've really eased my mind and its good to know you you haven't had to top either your brake fluid or coolant in 2 years.

One final question and then I'll be out of your hair. In typical fashion, the garage have went and put dexos 2 oil in my car. Would it be safe for me to buy the dexos 1 gen 2 and top it up myself or do I have to book the car in for them to siphon the current oil, replace the filter and put the proper stuff in?

thelizardking

Post by thelizardking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm

danh23 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm
Dot 4 for break fluid be alright as I had buy some for previous car and there was only dot 4 around
Cheers for that! Much appreciated. It's amazing what a few decent people can answer in 5 minutes. It was getting to the point of parody with the "experts" at my local dealership!

Yorkie40
Astra Model: Astra 1.4 turbo 150hp
Astra Options: Navi900 intellilink 18"bi-colour alloys winter pac
Astra Colour: Power red

Post by Yorkie40 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 pm

4552D878-A6BB-488B-86CB-CA9FDB7AFAA7.jpeg

This is the stuff
Astra sri 1.4 turbo 150hp navi900 lntellilink 18"bi-colour alloys winter pack power red 66 plate

Redman

Post by Redman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi
I would advise you get the oil and filter changed for D1 G2. You could try and argue with the dealer, as technically they may have put the wrong oil in if it was done after the technical service bulletin release date, with regards to these engines needing D1 G2 oil.
My engine ran it's first 10 months on dexos 2 oil, just make sure you don't lug the engine in high gears.

thelizardking

Post by thelizardking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Redman wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Hi
I would advise you get the oil and filter changed for D1 G2. You could try and argue with the dealer, as technically they may have put the wrong oil in if it was done after the technical service bulletin release date, with regards to these engines needing D1 G2 oil.
My engine ran it's first 10 months on dexos 2 oil, just make sure you don't lug the engine in high gears.
Thanks very much again, to yourself and everyone else who's chipped in today :). I'll get on the phone to the dealer in due course to try and plead my case seeing as it was only serviced 2 months ago and is still under warranty.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”