DIY Illuminated Door Sills

Useful How To posts
Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

DIY Illuminated Door Sills

Post by Corbil » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 am

Lets make a Know How to change the simple door sills in our Astra with the illuminated ones.

First of all, if your Astra has already the old door sills, what we gonna need for the installation is written below.
The lucky owners without preinstalled door sills, you need to go directly to collect everything I mention from No4 and so on.

1) Wide trim tool
2) Hair dryer
3) Spirit level
4) Masking tape
5) Tailor's measuring tape
6) The illuminated door sills with part number 13473242
7) Clean petrol or 93 degrees blue alcohol
8) Kitchen roll
9) Gloves

.....AND HERE WE GO

A) Removing the old door sill

Apply a long length tape to sign up the horizontal position of the sill, and a smaller one vertically for the starting point. As you see at the picture the factory installation was excellent!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grab the hairdryer and the flat trim tool and while you warming the sill, push firmly the trim tool below the edge of the sill. Do not apply excessive force, it is not necessary. As far as the sill gets warmer the underneath glue will start to melt and the removing will be easier.

Finally after 2 minutes you will hold at your hands the old door sill.

B) Removing the glue

This is the hardest part. You have to be patient enough to remove the glue. I tried to do it with 2 ways...alcohol and petrol in order not to harm the paint. The trick is to wet the glue and when the liquid is going to evaporate, then push hard. Repeat this every time you feel that the liquid is evaporating. Watch out because you can harm/burn your fingers by pushing too hard. Do not use your nails because you may scratch the paint and don't use turpentine, acetone, or similar products because you may harm the lacquer. When you fingers get tired, try to do the same with a wet kitchen roll. If you have sensitive skin better use gloves to perform this action.

Half hour later I almost managed to get the half glue out.....and it was a nice opportunity to have a brake for a silkcut in order to rest my poor fingers and fight again with patience.

Finally after a lot of effort the result was this....

Make a quick pass again the whole area with the spirits (better with pertol) in order to be sure that no glue left over the surface. Use a flashlight to see better if there are any adhesive residues.

C) Installing the new sill

Apply the tailors tape starting from the door hinge and measure exactly 480 mm. ---- 18,898 inches

If you didn't apply the vertical tape at the starting point as I mentioned before, this is a good way to check again the starting point. I only did it as a confirmation. And this was a good idea because already the factory adjustment missed out about 1cm as you can see.

Take the new sill at your hands and remove the protective tape of the stickers at the two sides that are below.

With the help of the spirit level try to install at the same position the sill, as you had install the marking tapes. Push firmly and hold down for a minute in order the glue to do the job. Rest the little circular magnet (my magnet is not anymore circular because it came broken) on the small circular foam. Close the door with a quick move (not slowly), and leave the door closed for 40 seconds. When you will open the door the door sill will illuminate and the magnet will be in correct position underneath the door. Last step is to fix in position the magnet with a sticky plastic case that is included in the package, and the magnet cannot loose the position after this.

The final result will make you happier.

Remove the small circular foam and you are ready.

I hope you will enjoy this tutorial if you make the change. I apologize for my English if something was not described correctly but I'am here to help if somebody will ask.

*This guide is purely indicative, and if you follow it, I wont' be responsible for injury or damage that may be caused.

oastra

Re: DIY Illuminated Door Sills

Post by oastra » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

Thank's a lot
OastrA

astramaster

Re: DIY Illuminated Door Sills

Post by astramaster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:51 am

Very nice DIY. Thanks!! ;) ;)

Return to “How To”