Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Re: Brakes Failed!!

Post by Ollie222 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Kahjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm
Ollie222 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:23 am
Is there any evidence of this same problem affecting petrol cars?
Are you having a problem with your petrol Astra?
No, my car is fine but just wondered if it's something that may affect me further down the line.

Kahjoo

Post by Kahjoo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Ollie222 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 pm
Kahjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm
Ollie222 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:23 am
Is there any evidence of this same problem affecting petrol cars?
Are you having a problem with your petrol Astra?
No, my car is fine but just wondered if it's something that may affect me further down the line.
My wife told that her brakes failed two times. She lifted the pedal and pressed again when the brakes started working again, but likely not with full breaking force. Those happened in cold morning, -15-20 °C, if that makes any difference.

When she told me that brakes didn't work, I thought that these systems are build bulletproof and that could never happen in a new car these days. After that I Googled and found out that diesel's had the exact same problem that her 1.0 Easytronic petrol had. In Finland, a recall for diesel was also announced around the same time as those failures happened. I don't have any idea if it basically can even be the same problem as with the diesel, but I think it's just weird AF that she described the failure pretty much just like people are saying diesels have failed.

It's been in the service center for 6 weeks now. I don't think they have found any problem with the car yet, but currently they are just (and we) waiting for a spare part master brake cylinder.

mh94
Astra Model: 1.6CDTI 136 SRI
Astra Colour: Red

Post by mh94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm

My cars brakes have failed, it was booked in for it's service and told them the pedal felt odd. A few hours later they ring to say the brakes are failing and is in for the recall, but it's going to be around a month until they get parts and a backlog of cars waiting for the recall. I don't mind that it's in for a month as they've paid for a hire car, a 1.4T Astra, very fun car.
The only thing that is bugging me is it was in around Christmas for new brake pads at the dealer (surprisingly cheaper than independents) and nothing was mentioned, you'd think with an ongoing recall they'd have checked it then. They did the clutch recall while it was having the brakes done. I never received a recall letter for clutch or brakes. All in the past and I'm not going to make a fuss or anything, but surely it should have been checked then?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:08 am

mh94 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm
My cars brakes have failed, it was booked in for it's service and told them the pedal felt odd. A few hours later they ring to say the brakes are failing and is in for the recall, but it's going to be around a month until they get parts and a backlog of cars waiting for the recall. I don't mind that it's in for a month as they've paid for a hire car, a 1.4T Astra, very fun car.
The only thing that is bugging me is it was in around Christmas for new brake pads at the dealer (surprisingly cheaper than independents) and nothing was mentioned, you'd think with an ongoing recall they'd have checked it then. They did the clutch recall while it was having the brakes done. I never received a recall letter for clutch or brakes. All in the past and I'm not going to make a fuss or anything, but surely it should have been checked then?
I was in right before christmas, to book it in, the same day the recall went active in the MyOpel APP

At that point the shop did not know anything about any recall and i know for a fact that they did not do any recall brake test's until the start of 2019.

Maybe they genuinely did not know about the recall when your car was there to have the brakes replaced.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:24 pm

OPVX Customer Care wrote:Hi 11thastra,

the RECALL is Free of charge for all customers whether in or out of warranty. the Company will cover the recall costs.

Regards Richie OPVX Social Care Team
Hi OPVX social care team.
As I posted previously we had stage one done if the recall back on December 28. We haven’t heard anything since.
The clutch pedal has now stayed down twice now in the last 7 days.
As this is surely linked to the recall which it passed how can the car still be safe to drive?
The recall was done at Forest Gate in Corby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OPVX Customer Care

Post by OPVX Customer Care » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 am

Hii 11thastra,

Please get your vehicle booked directly into the dealership that you had the 1st part of the recall completed. The Letters for part 2 are being sent out so you should receive it shortly however as you have identified a clutch issue I recommend you immediately go to the dealership where you have Step 1 carried out.

If you want one of our advisors to get the appt booked please call the UK number below.

Regards OPVX RR Social Care
Opel Vauxhall Social Media Customer Care Team

Helping where we can.
TOP 5 Customer Care Contact phone numbers:
  • United Kingdom - 0800 0260 034
    Germany - 0049 699 5307 551
    Spain - 0034 902250025
    France - 0033 821980006
    Italy - 0039 0275419845

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 pm

OPVX Customer Care wrote:Hii 11thastra,

Please get your vehicle booked directly into the dealership that you had the 1st part of the recall completed. The Letters for part 2 are being sent out so you should receive it shortly however as you have identified a clutch issue I recommend you immediately go to the dealership where you have Step 1 carried out.

If you want one of our advisors to get the appt booked please call the UK number below.

Regards OPVX RR Social Care
Many thanks.
I have booked it in at Forest Gate, Corby this afternoon.
The service lady who booked me in was great, we’re even getting a loan car.
I’ve dealt with staff who have worked for this same dealership for 30 years there when it used to be W Groses in Kettering. Their staff including Trevor in the stores and Carl in the workshop are great examples of what a great service from your dealer is all about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:01 am

Someone in a thread talked about the reason for the car to rattle at startup and sometimes while driving, was a timinchain guide that broke and a bad chain tensioner that could be replaced with an upgraded part.

Does anyone know how long time it would take vauxhall extra to inspect and change the guide if bad, and to replace the tensioner regardless.

He said that these parts were in the same place that vauxhall would access when taking the gearbox off.

Asking because i am thinking of asking vauxhall to do the inspection/replacement of the guide and the replacement of the tensioner as a preventive maintenance when they have it in for the clutch recall.

If this inspection/change could be done in 1-2 hours and then some parts, i think it would be well worth the money to have it done instead of waiting a couple of years and then having to replace the chain and the other parts at that time.

What do you think, is this a bad plan ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 am

Hi Mate.
Someone has had it done already. It’s an engine out job and takes a day so I gather it will be expensive. I’ll see if I can find the thread and post a link.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm

11thastra wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 am
Hi Mate.
Someone has had it done already. It’s an engine out job and takes a day so I gather it will be expensive. I’ll see if I can find the thread and post a link.
Yes i remember but i got the feeling that the only reason that he did it as a "engine out" was that he changed the chain, tensioner and all off the guides.

I seem to remember that he said that the guide and tensioner could be changed in the car, as you would not need to remove all the stuff that is in front of the chain, and since you only remove a guide and the tensioner, you would not have to take the chain off so it would stay on it's marks.

But offcourse i could be totally wrong (Wife tell's me that i am, constantly :D )

If you find the thread with the pictures he posted, please drop a link, i have been searching for it myself but did not find it.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”