All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: On star

Post by Paulch » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi

The email I had was pretty specific that onstar would end 31/12/2020.

OnStar services and Wi-Fi services enabled by the OnStar connection (if available in your country) will cease to be available for Vauxhall cars on 31st December 2020

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

awlfc wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm
I have spoke to someone at my local dealership and they said as far as they know onstar will continue and you'll just pay onstar for the service as onstar it's self is not going anywhere.
That's strange as Vauxhall told me any cars brought before 2019 won't continue with onstar after 31 Dec 2020 cars brought from 2019 will have the new service
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

awlfc
Astra Model: 1.4t sri nav
Astra Options: Climate, park assist, intelli lights
Astra Colour: Red

Post by awlfc » Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Is onstar closing down. I'm no technical geek but if we can get onstar now and onstar aren't closing down why won't we be able to get the service directly from onstar.

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm

awlfc wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 pm
Is onstar closing down. I'm no technical geek but if we can get onstar now and onstar aren't closing down why won't we be able to get the service directly from onstar.
OnStar Europe is closing...so the answer is no,sorry

awlfc

Post by awlfc » Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 am

I wasn't aware onstar Europe was closing I thought it was just the vauxhall deal with them.
There must be hundreds of thousands people effected

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 am

awlfc wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 am
I wasn't aware onstar Europe was closing I thought it was just the vauxhall deal with them.
There must be hundreds of thousands people effected
Guess ownership yes, staff not so sure how big it is in Europe

Would love to know the figures of who uses and renews subscriptions of Onstar, I work with two guys who have it fitted to their new cars and never even registered it. Me personally have used it once for help in 8 months of ownership and it was no use at all, but yes I was planning on renewing it.

SallyN

Post by SallyN » Fri May 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I have written to OnStar to see if we can extend our service beyond 2020. This was OnStar's response:

"As the new owners of Opel/Vauxhall have decided to pursue a different connectivity solution, all OnStar services in Europe and WiFi services using OnStar hardware will no longer be available after 31st December 2020."

So, I wrote to OnStar and Vauxhall customer care asking how many people are impacted by this?

The response from OnStar " Due to upcoming GDPR regulations we are unable to share that information."
The response from Vauxhall "Regrettably we are unable to assist you any further from here at Vauxhall Customer Care."

I also wrote to The Motor Ombudsman and they cannot help:
"How our COP’s and the law would view this scenario would be that you would need to pursue a complaint against the seller who sold you the vehicle and not the manufacturer of the vehicle. The Law would see whether the vehicle was:

As described: Yes.
Fit for purpose: Yes.
Of satisfactory quality: Yes.

There would be no recourse through the manufacturer, as their only legal responsibility is through the manufacturer’s warranty, whereas the vehicle was sold to yourself by the dealer."

My feeling is we will not get a replacement service after 2020 without cost to ourselves by either paying for the car to be re-fitted with the new service, by getting a new car or lobbying the dealerships. Whilst the headline reads Vauxhall will share further details on future connectivity solutions at the appropriate time, this in now way suggests they will be implementing them for customers caught up in this change of Vauxhall ownership.

awlfc

Post by awlfc » Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 pm

I have renewed it twice now as it almost halves my insurance costs.

carkit
Astra Model: Astra k 1.6 CDti 136cv

Post by carkit » Mon May 21, 2018 11:02 am

Hello, suffering brothers in the Valley of Tears Opel / Vaux.

On the Opel' Spanish website has been published this information, I suppose that in many other opel headquarters there are similar notes.
Although initially comfort and encourage our hopes a little, also on the other hand knowing the "skillful waist movements" of OPEL/VAUXHALL, I get a terrible doubt. Analyze it calmly.

http://media.gm.com/media/es/es/opel/ne ... vices.html

Return to “Main Astra K chat”