Collision alert & active emergency braking?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Collision alert & active emergency braking?

Post by Boroboy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:59 pm

I realise these functions can be turned off from your steering wheel controls. However once you've turned the collision alert off, does it come back onto the medium setting on restart? If so, can it be turned off until I want to turn it back on again?
I'm not really sure this is a great safety feature on balance anyway. I've had two occasions when the active braking system has broke for me, even when a collision wasn't imminent (close though). First one was when it was on the most sensitive setting, second on it's least sensitive setting. The second one was caused by a car cutting me up at around 60mph, coming over from my right hand side, came close to my front end. A collision wasn't imminent, even though it came close, as I was watching it. Then my active braking system kindly slammed my anchors on :shock: :lol: Just pleased there wasn't a car close to the back of me.
Anyone else had similar experiences? :?
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

NeoVo
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi Nav (200)
Astra Options: Intellilux, Advanced Park, Winter Pack, 18" Bi
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Collision alert & active emergency braking?

Post by NeoVo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am

Must have been a pretty scary experience! Did it brake you to a complete stop? Does it give you faith in the system providing its actually needed?

I've had the collision alert LED indicator warning in the dash flash a few times but not actually brake on my behalf.. (yet!)

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 pm

NeoVo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am
Must have been a pretty scary experience! Did it brake you to a complete stop? Does it give you faith in the system providing its actually needed?

I've had the collision alert LED indicator warning in the dash flash a few times but not actually brake on my behalf.. (yet!)
It was a scarry moment. Went from 60 straight to around 30, emergency brake. Acted before me unnecceserly. Although in that moment of time I realised why. I always turn it off now. Would rather have it off all the time, as you don't always remember to deactivate it. I can see the reasoning behind it, but don't think the technology is quite there yet. It was on the minimum setting too.
I've been driving for over 30 years, managed not to have a serious crash yet. This nearly caused one. Whom would be to blame then? As my car acted by it's self. As the car came over I took my foot off the gas. Then the emergency braking system activated it's self. Due to the car coming close. As I'd said a crash was not imminent though.

Grumpy1954

Post by Grumpy1954 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm

You can set it, in the main display setting, to alert only and not brake. I did until I found mine was set on most sensitive, kicking off over anything, even postboxes and cars on driveways. I asked on here how to reset it to least sensitive and did, not had any problems since

Yozza
Astra Model: 2016 1.6 CDTI SRI Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Yozza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm

I have a question. Which is the most sensitive. Is it when its set at just one bar or 2 bars or 23 bars.
Vauxhall Astra SRI Sports Tourer 1.6 CDTI in Summit White

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Grumpy1954 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm
You can set it, in the main display setting, to alert only and not brake. I did until I found mine was set on most sensitive, kicking off over anything, even postboxes and cars on driveways. I asked on here how to reset it to least sensitive and did, not had any problems since
Great. Not so much the elert the issue, more the self braking :lol: I shall have a look & def take off the the self brake setting.
Where about in the settings menu on my main display?
Not through my vehicle settings.
Cheers.
Last edited by Boroboy on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Yozza wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm
I have a question. Which is the most sensitive. Is it when its set at just one bar or 2 bars or 23 bars.
The more bars you have, the more sensitive it is.

jonathaneuk

Post by jonathaneuk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am

Some cars only have the collision alert and some have the active braking too.

Mine just has the collision alert. Where just flashes up on dash. So thankfully I don't have the active braking.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astra K|SRi|Summer White|Parking Assist|OnStar

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 am

jonathaneuk wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am
Some cars only have the collision alert and some have the active braking too.

Mine just has the collision alert. Where just flashes up on dash. So thankfully I don't have the active braking.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I suppose it's also possible you could have active braking for months without realising you have it. When it does brake there's no forgetting that moment :shock: :lol:
I'm just wanting to know if I can turn it off permanently or at least until I want to turn it on again? Not everytine I turn my ignition in.

Ty5500

Post by Ty5500 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 am

For me the lane assist prevented me once to leave my lane easily when a big truck suddenly came onto my lane without using indicators. I saw the truck coming right in front of me and steered to the left for the second lane but the system wasnt too keen on letting me leave the lane. The same thing happend with narrower lanes due to road works. Those safety systems can make situations more dangerous from time to time

Return to “Faults & Technical”