Creaking noise is back.

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Ray31

Re: Creaking noise is back.

Post by Ray31 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 am

I'm not sure what exactly your dealer did by way of "re-alignment" of the rear doors, but would guess that they probably only fiddled with the lock positions, and then applied a lubricant over the rubber seals. If the doors still make a creaking sound after at least 4 visits to the dealer, I'd kick up a right fuss over that as the noise would drive me bonkers.

I'd suggest you go back to the dealer and ask to see a brand new Astra, perhaps one they have in the showroom. Press the rear doors and see if they make any noise. I suspect they won't make any noise on a new car. Also if possible try a second hand one they have for sale, of the same/similar age and mileage as yours. If all is also quiet, I'd suggest you tell your dealer that you want your car to be in exactly the same state as regards the noise from rear doors. If they say they can't help, or if you loast faith in them, alternatively you might find another main dealer and do the same thing. Tell the latter that you don't want any more the same treatment as carried out by the previous dealer as it doesn't work. To find another dealer, and get some action, you might want to consider raising the matter with Vauxhall Customer Car Dept at Luton.

Failing all this, if your dealer has has already applied at least 4 coats of lubricant over the door seals, and didn't clean off the previous coats before applying fresh stuff, this could have made the problem worse as a result of a build-up of congealed material. As I said before, I'd suggest you clean off all such material thoroughly, not just give it a light wash, if you haven't already done that. Obviously, this won't cure any serious body-out-of-alignment problems that your car may suffer from. If that's the main problem, it will require the attention of a good body shop, not just some fitter with a spanner and an oil gun.

Emzanddz

Post by Emzanddz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

Ray31 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:22 am
I'm not sure what exactly your dealer did by way of "re-alignment" of the rear doors, but would guess that they probably only fiddled with the lock positions, and then applied a lubricant over the rubber seals. If the doors still make a creaking sound after at least 4 visits to the dealer, I'd kick up a right fuss over that as the noise would drive me bonkers.

I'd suggest you go back to the dealer and ask to see a brand new Astra, perhaps one they have in the showroom. Press the rear doors and see if they make any noise. I suspect they won't make any noise on a new car. Also if possible try a second hand one they have for sale, of the same/similar age and mileage as yours. If all is also quiet, I'd suggest you tell your dealer that you want your car to be in exactly the same state as regards the noise from rear doors. If they say they can't help, or if you loast faith in them, alternatively you might find another main dealer and do the same thing. Tell the latter that you don't want any more the same treatment as carried out by the previous dealer as it doesn't work. To find another dealer, and get some action, you might want to consider raising the matter with Vauxhall Customer Car Dept at Luton.

Failing all this, if your dealer has has already applied at least 4 coats of lubricant over the door seals, and didn't clean off the previous coats before applying fresh stuff, this could have made the problem worse as a result of a build-up of congealed material. As I said before, I'd suggest you clean off all such material thoroughly, not just give it a light wash, if you haven't already done that. Obviously, this won't cure any serious body-out-of-alignment problems that your car may suffer from. If that's the main problem, it will require the attention of a good body shop, not just some fitter with a spanner and an oil gun.
Yes in the process of rejecting the car via ombudsman! Without saying too much its a good job I kept all my phone records and invoices thats all I can say at the moment!

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Sat May 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I cleaned all the door seals the other day - front, back and tailgate.

I did not appreciate just how many door seals, rubbing strips and contact pads there are on a modern car!! How many - I would guess 18 - anyone know the answer?

Setting them all up must be a skilled job ( i.e. deciding where to put them and what they look like) and ensuring that they all work effectively (i.e getting the doors in the right place) must be a nightmare.

I also lubricated the contact pads and the roll up rear boot cover, just to be on the safe side (Vx material selection sometimes being questionable e.g. pedal rubbers, bonnet stay recess and clips)

All quiet on the creaking front - for now.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Creaking is still there in a very minor way - mainly noticeable on the right hand turn of a roundabout.

I heard it jiggling a bit at low speed on a park type road today - I ran over a grid a little too fast AND - all the jiggly noises stopped, even though the road surface and car speed were the same as before.

Could the jiggle noise be rear damper related - no problem after they have been given a good long stroke, but jiggly noise with minor movement?
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

cunners

Post by cunners » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 am

Curious if OPs issue was rectified as I'm having the exact same problem. Been in the garage 3 times now. Twice theyve said they can't find an issue, when pushed they agreed to change strut top bearings which hasn't done anything. Just got it back today so will be going back as soon as I can get it in. Infuriating.

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm beginning to form a theory of where the creaking noise comes from on my ST, mainly on slow, right hand turns. The noise returned even though it seemed to lesson when I cleaned the door seals - strange.

The noise started at the beginning of the hot dry spell in April/May - temperature or humidity effects? - having been absent for the first 15 months of the car's life. It seems to be loudest when going around a roundabout from the 6 o'clock entry to the 3 o'clock exit.

The sound itself is like a an old tea clipper's wooden mast taking up the strain of wind loading or a constrained spring again taking up the strain of a load.

The noise seems to be coming from the offside? rear of the car.

I'm beginning to think of the cause being in the Watts linkage assembly, which will be taking and transferring maximum load into the bodyshell at this time (roundabout 270 deg turn).
Has anyone ever seen a good graphic of the Astra K Torsion beam / Watts linkage in action? I'd like to see one so as to find the potential moving points for investigation. Could there be a bolted connection on the central Watts linkage plate which needs tightening up?

There also seems to be a jiggling noise, again from the rear suspension, when running straight ahead at slow to medium speed. It's difficult to hear as it is partially masked by other road and tyre noise. This sounds like suspension spring hanger movement or loose bolting up somewhere in the assembly. Has anyone else noticed and cured this noise?

mh94

Post by mh94 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 pm
I'm beginning to form a theory of where the creaking noise comes from on my ST, mainly on slow, right hand turns. The noise returned even though it seemed to lesson when I cleaned the door seals - strange.

The noise started at the beginning of the hot dry spell in April/May - temperature or humidity effects? - having been absent for the first 15 months of the car's life. It seems to be loudest when going around a roundabout from the 6 o'clock entry to the 3 o'clock exit.

The sound itself is like a an old tea clipper's wooden mast taking up the strain of wind loading or a constrained spring again taking up the strain of a load.

The noise seems to be coming from the offside? rear of the car.

I'm beginning to think of the cause being in the Watts linkage assembly, which will be taking and transferring maximum load into the bodyshell at this time (roundabout 270 deg turn).
Has anyone ever seen a good graphic of the Astra K Torsion beam / Watts linkage in action? I'd like to see one so as to find the potential moving points for investigation. Could there be a bolted connection on the central Watts linkage plate which needs tightening up?

There also seems to be a jiggling noise, again from the rear suspension, when running straight ahead at slow to medium speed. It's difficult to hear as it is partially masked by other road and tyre noise. This sounds like suspension spring hanger movement or loose bolting up somewhere in the assembly. Has anyone else noticed and cured this noise?
I've registered to ask about my creak, and it sounds identical to yours, mines a 17 plate SRI, got it in May, it didn't start creaking until late June when it got really hot. It's been in the garage twice, first time they cleaned the brakes, which made no difference.
Second time sounded more promising went out with the service manager and he said "it's a common problem on Astras at the moment and will be the track rod ends", I though it would be fixed and took my courtesy car, a Viva with no A/C on the hottest day of the year.

I picked my Astra up and the service adviser said they couldn't identify the problem but they'd ordered the parts and will contact me to book it back in, but I would need to demonstrate the problem again, why would they order the parts if they couldn't identify a problem? I didn't realise how strange this was until after I left so didn't question it. This was three weeks ago and still not heard back from them, will ring on Monday.

I have noticed looking through this thread most cars seem to be SRIs, someone I work with has a basic model Astra (I think it's a Design) and I asked her and she said hers doesn't make any creaking noises. Could it be something that is more likely to affect the SRI models?

Return to “Faults & Technical”