Astra k clutch fault.

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Generation K

Re: Astra k clutch fault.

Post by Generation K » Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 am

I have just started to have clutch issues on my 1.4T SRI. On a morning it's fine, however, if the car is left all day in the sun its hard to select a gear, and the biting point of the clutch is on the floor. For me this feels like its a hydraulic issue as it seems that the clutch is not fully disengaging. It's not like the clutch friction material has worn (at 21000 miles) as it is not slipping.
I've been to the dealer, and I've been told I need a new clutch at my expense. If it can be proved that is not not wear, it could be covered by warranty, but without committing to the potential cost there is nothing they can do.

I feel that the dealer has done what they can, as they have to follow the Vauxhall process, but I'm very disappointed with Vauxhall, I expected better.

Have any members had the same issue, and or have any advise?

AJB123
Astra Model: SRI 200 Petrol Hatch
Astra Colour: Black metalic

Post by AJB123 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:06 pm

My 1.6 200 is going back to the Vauxhall garage after replacement of the master cylinder didn't stop the sinking clutch.
Also called Vauxhall Customer Services who will investigate.
Hopefully there will be some answers soon.
It's rather ironic that our 14 year old MX5's clutch isn't beset with these problems!

ichiri

Post by ichiri » Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 am

AJB123 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:06 pm
My 1.6 200 is going back to the Vauxhall garage after replacement of the master cylinder didn't stop the sinking clutch.
Also called Vauxhall Customer Services who will investigate.
Hopefully there will be some answers soon.
It's rather ironic that our 14 year old MX5's clutch isn't beset with these problems!
Its the Clutch thrust bearing and nothing else I had to change mine to fix the problem .

AJB123

Post by AJB123 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for the tip though it's a bit soon for a car with only 23k on the clock? I'll mention it to the Vauxhall garage whom I understand are replacing next the slave cylender, the brake's ABS and some pipework. Will confirm outcome as garage has had car since last Thursday.

AJB123

Post by AJB123 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Final update e my Astra 1.6 200. The clutch pedal has been behaving normally now for getting on for a month after having the clutch slave cylender plus some of the pipework replaced. This was after the replacement of the master cylender failed to sort the sinking clutch issue.
VX Customer Services were very helpful in liaising with the VX dealer to identify the fault and to fix it.
I can only hope that the parts fitted will be free of whatever the original glitch was!

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi

This morning my clutch had to be depressed to about 70% of the total travel of the pedal before i felt any sort of resistance.

Pumping it 2 times got it back to about 40% travel before resistance.

Car drove fine and did not have any problem getting it into gear.

When i started the car to drive home, it was the same.

Is this how a total failure starts ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:20 pm

So friday i had a rather loose clutch and today, the clutch went straight to the floor and stayed there when i went to drive the car.

Car has now been picked up by a flatbed and delivered at vauxhall, will have to ring them in the morning to find out if they will be able to fix it within the next 2 weeks, as in 2 weeks we're going on holiday, and i really dont fancy 5 people in our Corsa, doing 200+ miles, either direction.

Also i have no roof bars for the Corsa and being a corsa, it has no boot space :(

I just hope they can fix it within the next 14 days, but not too optimistic, being the holiday season and all.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

AJB123

Post by AJB123 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Mine started with the clutch pedal progressively getting lower until it was on the floor. By this time it wasn't possible to change gear.
I found though that if it reached the floor it would spring back to the normal position if gently lifted by hand.
The complete sinking to the floor took a fair amount of gear changing/stop start traffic before it would show, otherwise it would reach half way and return to normal after being parked a short while.
Definitely worth raising with VX Customer Services as they helped mine get through the repair although mine took around a week in the end for parts delivery etc.
Hope this helps!

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 pm

AJB123 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Mine started with the clutch pedal progressively getting lower until it was on the floor. By this time it wasn't possible to change gear.
I found though that if it reached the floor it would spring back to the normal position if gently lifted by hand.
The complete sinking to the floor took a fair amount of gear changing/stop start traffic before it would show, otherwise it would reach half way and return to normal after being parked a short while.
Definitely worth raising with VX Customer Services as they helped mine get through the repair although mine took around a week in the end for parts delivery etc.
Hope this helps!
Mine is in now, they have said that they have the parts available and they will be able to fix it, no later than next friday, so im mildly optimistic about getting it back in time for our holiday.

When the towing company came to take it away the pedal had gotten better to the point where it would actually "work" allthough he had some problems getting the car to go up his ramp, and he had to do a bit of a runner to get it up there.

After he got out he said "Yeah, there is definitively something that not right about that clutch"

Return to “Faults & Technical”