Auto lights disabling

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Bogbody

Re: Auto lights disabling

Post by Bogbody » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:51 pm

In the UK the light sensitivity setting for the sensor is not correct.
It keeps switching the lights on and off, usually in late afternoons when the sun is low and bright.
The lights need to be on or off - in worst case I've had them switch on and off along an avenue of trees. To other drivers it looks like you are flashing your lights at them. Here they take it as a go signal and pull out of junctions.
I would like to control exactly when the lights are off or on. At the moment I can only control to have them on. I do not want them to flash on and off as they please.
Vauxhall do not appear to be intetested in the light sensor settings.

Gunde

Post by Gunde » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Corbil wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Here is the disassembled switch
What did you break on disassemble?
Astra K 1.6 CDTi. Mods: Leatherlook seats, heated rear seats, heated armrest, footwell lights, light in glovebox, light in boot storage compartment, gear surround ambient light, reversing camera, pedalbox, wood trim and black felt interior.

Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Corbil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Gunde wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm
Corbil wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Here is the disassembled switch
What did you break on disassemble?
the brown part that is attached on the fog buttons from the back side......you cannot see that from the picture. The wheel now rotates 360 degrees

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Bogbody wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:51 pm
In the UK the light sensitivity setting for the sensor is not correct.
It keeps switching the lights on and off, usually in late afternoons when the sun is low and bright.
The lights need to be on or off - in worst case I've had them switch on and off along an avenue of trees. To other drivers it looks like you are flashing your lights at them. Here they take it as a go signal and pull out of junctions.
I would like to control exactly when the lights are off or on. At the moment I can only control to have them on. I do not want them to flash on and off as they please.
Vauxhall do not appear to be intetested in the light sensor settings.
I agree that the light sensor is sometimes retarded.

I have also driven for an hour or so, with the dipped beam and rear lamps on, even though the light is very plentiful and if i stop at a gas station and go get some coffee and start it up, it will detect that the light is ok for DRL.

It seems that it sometimes gets itself stuck in "We need light on" mode, even though it is not needed.

Strange thing is that the light sensor on my previous car, Zafira B, was much better. You would think these sensors would get better over time, or atleast work as good as the older parts, but this is not the case here sadly.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 pm

Meanwhile sun is shining low on horizon yes, there is plenty of light and yes, automatic setting switches dipped beam on for reason. Be visible for others out there!
So does the Astra, so does the Passat B8 with it's multiple light sensors and sensitivity settings.
My driving habbits prefer letting useful tech take over :)

Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Corbil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 pm

880PEL wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 pm
Meanwhile sun is shining low on horizon yes, there is plenty of light and yes, automatic setting switches dipped beam on for reason. Be visible for others out there!
So does the Astra, so does the Passat B8 with it's multiple light sensors and sensitivity settings.
My driving habbits prefer letting useful tech take over :)
My previous Corsa D, Astra G and most now my Vw Eos work exactly as they design to. Sun is up, lights are off.....Sun is down lights are on. Entering a tunnel lights on after 2 seconds, exiting tunnels lights are off after 5 seconds. SO SIMPLE.

There is no sense that while entering the same 600 meters long tunnel other car brands immediately turning on their lights and the Astra needs the end of the tunnel to decide whether or not to turn them on. And when it decides to do it, it never turns them off until I reach my destination.
Keep your driving habits and hi tech staff for yourself, and let me decide what I need my car to do for me.