Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Useful How To posts
LasseMandrup
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm
Astra Model: 1.0 Turbo, Enjoy
Astra Options: Fog lights, arm rest, chrome lists
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by LasseMandrup » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am

Complete guide for converting to shark finn on the Astra K:

You have:
13383712 - Original stock antenna without Onstar

You'll need:
13490407 Amplifier for FM/AM
13476638 Shark finn antenna BLACK (GM stock for the Astra K)
and this fakra extension cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-B-Female ... 3ae7f3ad0e

Reason is that the versions with an original mounted shark finn antenna has an amplifier in the rear window. It is mounted in the right side of the window.
A fakra extension cable you'll need for connecting the antenna cable located in the sealing. The new shark finn antenna is ONLY for styling purpose. It does not serve any other purpose than this! It can't be connected to the existing antenna cable!

1. Pull down the headliner from the back: fold up the rubber trim at the hatch in top. Then you can pull down the headliner - you'll notice the plastic clip will "pop". Don't worry. It is VERY flexible. Image
2. Locate the old antenna, use a 10mm socket with a small extender and unscrew the antenna. Be aware - there is plenty of places where you can cut your arm on it the gab above the sealing.
3. When removing the antenna, make sure that you disconnect the cable and the little bracket are rotated correctly to fit the hole in the top. Then you can pop out the antenna from bottom and out from the top. Image
4. Attach the new antenna using the reverse method - make sure that the sealing between antenna and the roof are tight, but not too tight as water will enter here and damage you sealing/electrics.
5. Remove the plastic trims in the rear window. It is only plastic, and it makes a lot of noise when you are removing them.
6. Locate the bolt for the antenna extender in right top of the hatch. Image
7. Unscrew the bolt and mount the amplifier for the FM/AM.
8. Here you'll need to mount the "little" antenna for the rear window with some double sided tape on the spot for the antenna in the window glass (I recommend 3M as it is tolerates cold temperatures).
9. Wire the fakra extender cable through the left hand sided (or right hand side - depends on UK or Europe version :lol: ) through the rubber wiring protection (see the photo and notice this has both rubber wiring protection. Notice: it is very TIGHT here! You might need a solid tube to force the cable through. You might break the cable here, since the head of the fakra cable are not easy to pull through this rubber protection. Try it out yourself. Image
10. Connect the existing antenna cable from the roof with the fakra extender cable, and the connect the amplifier with the fakra cable.
11. Put back the plastic trim for the rear window and put the sealing back, and remember to place the little rubber trim correct for the edge of the sealing.

I hope that you enjoy my guide..
By the way - antenna signal improves A LOT using the amplifier.
Astra 1.0T, Enjoy
Fog lights, arm rest and chrome trims.
Installed H7 LED headlights, HB9/10 LED Fog light and H1 LED High beam with great result.


AdieMcc
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by AdieMcc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm

So where’s the picture of yours fitted?
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D


Husker84
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by Husker84 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:26 am

LasseMandrup wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am
Complete guide for converting to shark finn on the Astra K:

You have:
13383712 - Original stock antenna without Onstar

You'll need:
13490407 Amplifier for FM/AM
13476638 Shark finn antenna BLACK (GM stock for the Astra K)
and this fakra extension cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-B-Female ... 3ae7f3ad0e

Reason is that the versions with an original mounted shark finn antenna has an amplifier in the rear window. It is mounted in the right side of the window.
A fakra extension cable you'll need for connecting the antenna cable located in the sealing. The new shark finn antenna is ONLY for styling purpose. It does not serve any other purpose than this! It can't be connected to the existing antenna cable!


.....



I hope that you enjoy my guide..
By the way - antenna signal improves A LOT using the amplifier.
The problem with this is when you have the stock antenna with Onstar...


Husker84
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by Husker84 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm

LasseMandrup wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am
Complete guide for converting to shark finn on the Astra K:

You have:
13383712 - Original stock antenna without Onstar

You'll need:
13490407 Amplifier for FM/AM
13476638 Shark finn antenna BLACK (GM stock for the Astra K)
and this fakra extension cable:

.............

I hope that you enjoy my guide..
By the way - antenna signal improves A LOT using the amplifier.




Hi!

I’m trying to install it on an OnStar one.

This is the window antenna, the connector needed comes in the amplifier?

Thanks!

23257750-4673-4803-BF18-BCA1B26983F9.jpeg



MasterZee
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm
Astra Model: OPC Line 1.4 Turbo 150PS
Astra Options: IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Snow White
Location: Turkey

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by MasterZee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:27 pm

LasseMandrup wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am
Complete guide for converting to shark finn on the Astra K:

You have:
13383712 - Original stock antenna without Onstar

You'll need:
13490407 Amplifier for FM/AM
13476638 Shark finn antenna BLACK (GM stock for the Astra K)
and this fakra extension cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-B-Female ... 3ae7f3ad0e

Reason is that the versions with an original mounted shark finn antenna has an amplifier in the rear window. It is mounted in the right side of the window.
A fakra extension cable you'll need for connecting the antenna cable located in the sealing. The new shark finn antenna is ONLY for styling purpose. It does not serve any other purpose than this! It can't be connected to the existing antenna cable!

1. Pull down the headliner from the back: fold up the rubber trim at the hatch in top. Then you can pull down the headliner - you'll notice the plastic clip will "pop". Don't worry. It is VERY flexible. Image
2. Locate the old antenna, use a 10mm socket with a small extender and unscrew the antenna. Be aware - there is plenty of places where you can cut your arm on it the gab above the sealing.
3. When removing the antenna, make sure that you disconnect the cable and the little bracket are rotated correctly to fit the hole in the top. Then you can pop out the antenna from bottom and out from the top. Image
4. Attach the new antenna using the reverse method - make sure that the sealing between antenna and the roof are tight, but not too tight as water will enter here and damage you sealing/electrics.
5. Remove the plastic trims in the rear window. It is only plastic, and it makes a lot of noise when you are removing them.
6. Locate the bolt for the antenna extender in right top of the hatch. Image
7. Unscrew the bolt and mount the amplifier for the FM/AM.
8. Here you'll need to mount the "little" antenna for the rear window with some double sided tape on the spot for the antenna in the window glass (I recommend 3M as it is tolerates cold temperatures).
9. Wire the fakra extender cable through the left hand sided (or right hand side - depends on UK or Europe version :lol: ) through the rubber wiring protection (see the photo and notice this has both rubber wiring protection. Notice: it is very TIGHT here! You might need a solid tube to force the cable through. You might break the cable here, since the head of the fakra cable are not easy to pull through this rubber protection. Try it out yourself. Image
10. Connect the existing antenna cable from the roof with the fakra extender cable, and the connect the amplifier with the fakra cable.
11. Put back the plastic trim for the rear window and put the sealing back, and remember to place the little rubber trim correct for the edge of the sealing.

I hope that you enjoy my guide..
By the way - antenna signal improves A LOT using the amplifier.
Thanks for the tutorial. Can you please tell me where is the amplifier located. couldn't understand it from the Picture.
Also there is a Coil ( part# 13383713) that should be used for the installation. Is that necessary ?


LasseMandrup
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm
Astra Model: 1.0 Turbo, Enjoy
Astra Options: Fog lights, arm rest, chrome lists
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by LasseMandrup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Husker84 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm
Hi!

I’m trying to install it on an OnStar one.

This is the window antenna, the connector needed comes in the amplifier?

Thanks!
The pins that should be located here is not present in our versions with a non stock shark finn mount. Note that the rear window does come i two versions: with and without pins for rear mounted antenna.
I haven't got the pins either, however I use some 3M double sided tape and if you like, you can add a smal clip inside that touches the aeriel connector and the pin placement in the rear window. That way, you might get a better signal. I will NOT recommend, that you start to do some soldering in the rear window! That might cost you a new rear window if you damage the heating threads.
Astra 1.0T, Enjoy
Fog lights, arm rest and chrome trims.
Installed H7 LED headlights, HB9/10 LED Fog light and H1 LED High beam with great result.


LasseMandrup
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm
Astra Model: 1.0 Turbo, Enjoy
Astra Options: Fog lights, arm rest, chrome lists
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by LasseMandrup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Husker84 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm
Hi!

I’m trying to install it on an OnStar one.

This is the window antenna, the connector needed comes in the amplifier?

Thanks!
The pins that should be located here is not present in our versions with a non stock shark finn mount. Note that the rear window does come i two versions: with and without pins for rear mounted antenna.
I haven't got the pins either, however I use some 3M double sided tape and if you like, you can add a smal clip inside that touches the aeriel connector and the pin placement in the rear window. That way, you might get a better signal. I will NOT recommend, that you start to do some soldering in the rear window! That might cost you a new rear window if you damage the heating threads.
AdieMcc wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm
So where’s the picture of yours fitted?
I have completely forgot to post some photos of my fit. Will do now. I see that the antenna isn't quite the "real" Astra K MY17 shark finn antenna. But it worked fine either way. And YES! It is dusty my car. I have damaged my hand, so I am not allowed to drive for the next 6 weeks :(

20180808_191014.jpg

Astra 1.0T, Enjoy
Fog lights, arm rest and chrome trims.
Installed H7 LED headlights, HB9/10 LED Fog light and H1 LED High beam with great result.


Husker84
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by Husker84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am

LasseMandrup wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm
Husker84 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm
Hi!

I’m trying to install it on an OnStar one.

This is the window antenna, the connector needed comes in the amplifier?

Thanks!
The pins that should be located here is not present in our versions with a non stock shark finn mount. Note that the rear window does come i two versions: with and without pins for rear mounted antenna.
I haven't got the pins either, however I use some 3M double sided tape and if you like, you can add a smal clip inside that touches the aeriel connector and the pin placement in the rear window. That way, you might get a better signal. I will NOT recommend, that you start to do some soldering in the rear window! That might cost you a new rear window if you damage the heating threads.
But if you connect the onstar antenna, it should work as stock one, right?


LasseMandrup
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm
Astra Model: 1.0 Turbo, Enjoy
Astra Options: Fog lights, arm rest, chrome lists
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

Post by LasseMandrup » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 am

Husker84 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am
But if you connect the onstar antenna, it should work as stock one, right?
Yes! If you don't have OnStar before, just leave the cables from the shark finn be there. The only cable you need to connect is the FM-antenna, which you need to connect to the fakra extension cable.
If you have OnStar antenna (not shark finn), then connect all the cables to it. Then all should work as intended.

I can't see how I can explain this anymore simple than this. It's plug'n'play for God sake ;)
Astra 1.0T, Enjoy
Fog lights, arm rest and chrome trims.
Installed H7 LED headlights, HB9/10 LED Fog light and H1 LED High beam with great result.


Post Reply

Return to “How To”