Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

151K views 287 replies 76 participants last post by  Shaky 
#1 ·
Good Morning all just wondering how many people have issues or have had issues with their car. I have had a Astra Elite Nav for seven days with 13,000 miles on the clock die on me.

After a few days investigation the delar said that the piston in chamber one had and issue and the removed it see picture attached.

The ring around the top of the piston had broken.

I am told that they are going to replace all four pistons and the chamber or bore is fine. Up to know this has taken three weeks and still not had my car back as they have not completed the work.

Symptoms were hard to start off for a few days then ended up with amber engine management light and emissions light came on

I wounder how many other people have had similar issues ?

Also can other people let me know what mileage you have on your cars.

Does Vauxhall have a big issue with this engine.

Shout up everyone

wakman

Attachments

See less See more
#202 ·
My issue was the piston in cylinder 1, my engine has been replaced now at a cost of £5000, I picked up up last Monday and took it back on the Wednesday as vauxhall hadn't regassed my aircon android also they tried telling me I needed a new gearbox as there was a horrible grinding noise when in neutral but they took it back in today and found it was the clutch release bearing that the mechanics had damaged putting the engine and gearbox back in, I collect the car again tomorrow so will see then.

#203 ·
Muhammad Salah said:
Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

My question for you guys, what's the main problem with the engine?
Also, in case there's any solution for this issue abroad what would it be ?

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Hope anyone could help me.
Is yours a manual or an auto? Over her within the U.K the 2018, 1.4t onward engines are using 0w 20 oil now. As far as I know these have also had the ecu update done from the factory with regards to lspi issues. My car is on a 2018 & an auto with no GPF either. I've had no lspi events that I've noticed so far. Although once out of manufacturers warranty I'm buying a Vauxhall extended warranty to cover from years 3-4, I suggest you do the same, when your manufacturers warranty ends, if you want to keep your car for a while longer.
Those failed engines in Egypt you were taking about, what age are they failing on?

#204 ·
Boroboy said:
Muhammad Salah said:
Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Is yours a manual or an auto? Over her within the U.K the 2018, 1.4t onward engines are using 0w 20 oil now. As far as I know these have also had the ecu update done from the factory with regards to lspi issues. My car is on a 2018 & an auto with no GPF either. I've had no lspi events that I've noticed so far. Although once out of manufacturers warranty I'm buying a Vauxhall extended warranty to cover from years 3-4, I suggest you do the same, when your manufacturers warranty ends, if you want to keep your car for a while longer.
Those failed engines in Egypt you were taking about, what age are they failing on?
My car is 2021 model auto gear with most probably B14NET engine the engine number is 19wz9602. Warranty is 5 years.

There's no specific age for cars to fail on, we have cars around 60,00 40,00 and the most wired case a brand new car with 8,000 KM.

I'm curious to know what's the main problem with this engine as out of nowhere here in Egypt, we started to notice this issue with no any clarification from opel Egypt, they only Change the engine with a new one that might has the same problem.

Many customers here in Egypt started to get angry from this issue and we don't know what should we do regarding this, should we raise heavy complaint or what as what I can see that all astra J 1.4T would face the same issue sonner or later.

#205 ·
Hi
B14NET engine is a totally different engine to that of the astra k. It is a port fuel injection engine iirc and turbo charged, unlike the astra k direct injection turbo charged. They don't make the astra j over here anymore and if my memory serves me well it gives up the ghost on cylinder 4 on that engine. The cylinder farthest away from the coolant pump. Highly unlikely to be lspi as the fuel is vaporised as opposed to atomised when it is delivered to the cylinders, so not wet.

#206 ·
Muhammad Salah said:
Boroboy said:
Muhammad Salah said:
Dears,

My car is 2021 model auto gear with most probably B14NET engine the engine number is 19wz9602. Warranty is 5 years.

There's no specific age for cars to fail on, we have cars around 60,00 40,00 and the most wired case a brand new car with 8,000 KM.

I'm curious to know what's the main problem with this engine as out of nowhere here in Egypt, we started to notice this issue with no any clarification from opel Egypt, they only Change the engine with a new one that might has the same problem.

Many customers here in Egypt started to get angry from this issue and we don't know what should we do regarding this, should we raise heavy complaint or what as what I can see that all astra J 1.4T would face the same issue sonner or later.
I took it that you owned an Astra K (mk 7 Astra), posting on an Astra K forum.
As pointed out by the previous poster, the Astra J 1.4t engine is different to the Astra K 1.4t engine. Although at least you have a 5 year manufacturers warranty over there, unlike over here.

#207 ·
Thomas Nottingham said:
My issue was the piston in cylinder 1, my engine has been replaced now at a cost of £5000, I picked up up last Monday and took it back on the Wednesday as vauxhall hadn't regassed my aircon android also they tried telling me I needed a new gearbox as there was a horrible grinding noise when in neutral but they took it back in today and found it was the clutch release bearing that the mechanics had damaged putting the engine and gearbox back in, I collect the car again tomorrow so will see then.
Did you get any joy with vaux customer services, with regards to a contribution & did yours have a full vaux service history too?

#208 ·
Well it looks like I am about to join the list of victims of this issue, car started with a random ECS warning every so often and a lumpy idle for a week or so, which then cleared up by itself for a week and ran smooth, then I saw oil from the exhaust booked it into a garage, during the wait, the oil issue developed into a full on leak, then engine warning light came on (steady and flashing) in conjunction with ECS, got a fault code for misfire on cylinder one, got it into the garage, 45 psi from piston one. Spoke to Vauxhall main dealer, who promise nothing but will recover car to their own service garage. Looks like a big bill coming my way. I have a few questions:

1) What has been the out come from others with this issue, i.e. Vauxhall paid part of the cost or left you high and dry?

2) Any advice?

3) I am interested in how many people on this forum have had this issue, because I cannot help but think Vauxhall will try and palm this off as my fault and want some numbers to fight back or go to an outside agency for support.

One last thing, car was 2nd hand (from Vauxhall) with full service history (majority of services at Vauxhall, one or two not), I have had the car for just over one year, it has not even done 45,000 miles year, so therefore I have had it serviced once at the correct interval, and lugging the car is not my driving style, no putting my foot down at high gear and low revs, use to drive lorries so not the way I drive. Wife thinks I am mad always checking the levels and tyres before long journeys and each week.

#209 ·
@Simon_e_hall
As you know this issue is well documented on here, mainly seems to effect up to 2017, Astra 1.4t engines. There was also an ECU update to try to rectify the lspi issue, along side a different oil too.
As you bought it from a vaux main dealer, all you can do is push for a contribution towards the repair from vauxhall customer services, your dealer may do this on your behalf.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

#210 ·
I'm having this issue too. 2017 plate 1.4T (150). Went on holiday to Cornwall a week ago and whilst stopping off at Exeter services, the car didn't want to move after stopping at lights. Misfiring constantly and towed to RAC garage. Now back at my dealers and they are going to phone Vauxhall head office this afternoon for guidance.

I've been told by the service manager that because it has full service history and only done 42k miles Vauxhall might make a contribution. They reckon it could be anything from a burnt out valve to piston ring crack. If they don't make a contribution is there anything I and people in similar circumstances can do? Surely Vauxhall can't get away with knowing about this issue and fobbing off loyal customers who service their cars regularly and drive sensibly. I'll post again with an update.

#211 ·
Good luck with it,hope you get a decent response,
you would think (hope ?) that someone at Stellantis would be weighing up the cost of all the bad publicity and replacement costs against the long term brand damage,
perhaps they think washing their hands of it and putting it down as a GM issue will be good enough.

#213 ·
cubiiic said:
Thanks. Reading through posts on this forum this issue can cost anywhere between £500-£7000, although I think the higher figures must have not serviced their cars. If I get a bad response I'll consider getting in touch with citizens advice and seeing what they say.
Vauxhall know of the issue, obviously don't like paying out, hopefully they'll offer a decent contribution towards your repair, as they should.
One of the reasons I'm keeping mine in-house for servicing at the moment.

#214 ·
Well the sad story continues, new engine required rough estimate £3800 (if all goes well), so without a car for 2 to 3 weeks, no curtsey car available, dealer trying to do their best to bring cost down, Vauxhall will not willing to contribute, stating the car is to old (65 plate).

This is terrible, surely Vauxhall have to take some responsibility in this, 65 plate to old that is ridiculous, the car has not even done over 45,000 miles, have we got so bad as a society that an engine is considered a throw away item?

#215 ·
simon_e_hall said:
Well the sad story continues, new engine required rough estimate £3800 (if all goes well), so without a car for 2 to 3 weeks, no curtsey car available, dealer trying to do their best to bring cost down, Vauxhall will not willing to contribute, stating the car is to old (65 plate).

This is terrible, surely Vauxhall have to take some responsibility in this, 65 plate to old that is ridiculous, the car has not even done over 45,000 miles, have we got so bad as a society that an engine is considered a throw away item?
Not good news for you then.
Have you tried contacting vauxhall customer services yourself directly? Explaining the situation, that you'd bought it within good faith from a vauxhall dealer, it has a fsh, low mileage and you are now facing a bill for a new engine. Would they be prepared to cover the cost or make a significant contribution?
The other option, fit a low mileage used engine.

#216 ·
Boroboy said:
simon_e_hall said:

Have you tried contacting vauxhall customer services yourself directly? Explaining the situation, that you'd bought it within good faith from a vauxhall dealer, it has a fsh, low mileage and you are now facing a bill for a new engine. Would they be prepared to cover the cost or make a significant contribution?
I am currently in progress of drafting a letter now, getting numbers, documentation evidence if I can find and anything else to build a case, not sure how to go ahead from there if they say no, but this is an issue with their engines. Will have an uphill battle with Consumer rights against them as car is over a year old and would have to prove that there is a defect at time of purchase which will be a nightmare to prove.

#217 ·
simon_e_hall said:
Boroboy said:
simon_e_hall said:

I am currently in progress of drafting a letter now, getting numbers, documentation evidence if I can find and anything else to build a case, not sure how to go ahead from there if they say no, but this is an issue with their engines. Will have an uphill battle with Consumer rights against them as car is over a year old and would have to prove that there is a defect at time of purchase which will be a nightmare to prove.
How long have you owned the car?
Also explain that the lspi problem with this engine is a well documented issue, social media are well aware of this continuing issue with regards to this engine, generally.
Regarding your legal rights, once you are out of the 30 day rule from purchase, it's up to you to prove the fault was there prior to purchase, next to impossible.
You can only hope there would be a goodwill gesture made from vauxhall, which they should be, as it's a well documented problem.

#218 ·
@Boroboy I have had the car about a year and a half (2nd hand), I mentioned the LSPI issue in my email including reference to the 2 TSB's I am aware of regarding the issue, which relate to LSPI, also stated the amount of people of who have had the exact same issues on social media. The fact Vauxhall have already turned round and said that because the car is to old they are unwilling to do a goodwill gesture is not filling me with confidence, if the cost of the repair gets any more it will nearly equal the cost of the car.

#219 ·
simon_e_hall said:
@Boroboy I have had the car about a year and a half (2nd hand), I mentioned the LSPI issue in my email including reference to the 2 TSB's I am aware of regarding the issue, which relate to LSPI, also stated the amount of people of who have had the exact same issues on social media. The fact Vauxhall have already turned round and said that because the car is to old they are unwilling to do a goodwill gesture is not filling me with confidence, if the cost of the repair gets any more it will nearly equal the cost of the car.
I hope you receive a positive response back from them.

#221 ·
Redman said:
This engine came in a 1.4t for Europe and a 1.5t for America. Exact same engine just different length con rods. In California they had engine failures and got them replaced/repaired under their state lemon laws. Even the correct oil change tsb was paid for by GM there, but not here in Britain at least.

https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/10/18/2017-chevrolet-cruze-piston-problems
I was just about to post the same thing, I did a search for Lemon Law raised against GM, the attached document which appears genuine on that website, the fact it is dated 2016 and states engine replacement (LE2 which I believe is the same type as our B14XFL) is a God send, definitely keeping this in the back pocket for when they say no again and/ or when I take this further.

#222 ·
Well document seems legitimate, all listed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, also noted this document:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10123271-9999.pdf

Which says to check for cylinder issue after certain oil leaks, referencing the previous document, also makes reference to the European region, has anyone presented any of this information to Vauxhall, as this is firm evidence as a known engine problem, with engines manufactured during this period, which had led to law suites in the US?

Also digging, reference to an engine replacement policy for a vehicle with this issue:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10113928-9999.pdf

#223 ·
cubiiic said:
I'm having this issue too. 2017 plate 1.4T (150). Went on holiday to Cornwall a week ago and whilst stopping off at Exeter services, the car didn't want to move after stopping at lights. Misfiring constantly and towed to RAC garage. Now back at my dealers and they are going to phone Vauxhall head office this afternoon for guidance.

I've been told by the service manager that because it has full service history and only done 42k miles Vauxhall might make a contribution. They reckon it could be anything from a burnt out valve to piston ring crack. If they don't make a contribution is there anything I and people in similar circumstances can do? Surely Vauxhall can't get away with knowing about this issue and fobbing off loyal customers who service their cars regularly and drive sensibly. I'll post again with an update.
Back with an update. Turns out the crankshaft had too much float which knocked a piston out of alignment. Maximum float is 1mm mine had 2.1mm :lol: Needed a new engine and vauxhall offered to contribute 60% of the total cost. £1808 total. To be honest I was expecting a bigger bill so I am relatively happy, A new engine will add more value to the car so I might end up a bit better off. If you are a 1.4T owner and have no warranty at the moment make sure you buy extended warranty otherwise you could end up like me.

#224 ·
Looks like I'm another unlucky owner of astra with LSPI.
Same story, car start "dancing" on idle->ESC system unavailable-> forward collision system unavailable-> check engine…. Low Compression on cylinder 1, camera inside and all I can see is "lovely" black piston with lots of metal bits on the sides. Verdict can be the only one, engine have to be replaced. I bought the car from peter vardy on 18th of July 2020 and car is only 41k miles.
Basically peter vardy "show me" middle finger and gived me phone number to Vauxhall. Car is out of warranty.
They should phone me today so I'm ready for the rumble :twisted:

#225 ·
As people will know I do go on about the lspi issues on here because they are more common than people think.
Apart from my own pool car bad experiences years ago recently a work colleague had these issues , we told him not to buy it but he's twice my size so who am I to argue with him ! Early 1.4t looked a bargain but a few months down the line lspi , new engine required.
Now this guy is big but even he couldn't get anything out of VX and wouldnt pay £4K+ so out of coincidence his car vanished one day! Never to be seen again lol
Don't know the full facts but 'apparently' it got stolen and was never found.
1 month later he bought a Ford Focus , insurance high he said for the car but he's a happy man.

I fully understand people's frustration with VX , fingers crossed my 1.6t is good at the moment.

BTW disgusting attitude from Peter vardy as just over the 1 yr period with warranty.

#226 ·
Well, finally got through to Vauxhall complaints, on hold forever by phone, finally as an act of desperation tried Facebook and got through, who would of thought it, but now they are reviewing there decision.

I think they are still going to say no as one of the services was not at a Vauxhall garage, which I will fight as the Vauxhall garage local to me (live in rural West Wales) was booked up for three months at least at the time. So waiting on Vauxhall again.

Did try emailing them as well but they did not reply to the two addresses that are listed, I did not want to write a letter as I want an electronic trail I can give to Consumer Rights if it goes that far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.