Not another Newbie, dear oh dear!

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
msg
Astra Model: 1.4T SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Grey

Not another Newbie, dear oh dear!

Post by msg » Sat May 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Sure why not! I am a Vauxhall Calibra driver, now owns a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Turbo SRI Nav . I have had enough of Calibra experience but still I think Cally grips road like a ...............(Please insert a word of your choice) but i am now very excited to now look at this Astra that is at another level of luxury.

I picked this car up from Ebay, for £5500, 2017 and it looks and drives like NEW, having done 48K miles, I think it certainly was a bargain, yes but does need all 4 new tyres and rims are cosmetically buggered by the old owner, heavily curb damaged.

car is "N" CATAGORY but has been repaired professionally to a high level, it was back ended, so has new rear bumper, no superficial damage to any of its chassis. Accelerates like my Calibra with Natural Aspirated 2.0 Ecotec (137BHP) and this Astra turbo 1.4 generating 150bhp! is no less impressive for a 1.4 4 cylinder Turbo engine.

Some minor issues one of which became apparent only after being stuck in heavy traffic, the clutch pedal if you keep it depressed for about 2 to 3 minutes loses hydraulic pressure and all hell breaks lose, if you were in gear the engine would stall, you cannot then fire up the engine as the engine won't start without clutch working properly, so no chance of you getting away by starting a stranded car with broken clutch by starting in a gear without working clutch and getting away out an emergency ! this is a major down side for me. I may have to bypass the clutch sensor switch.

Steering wheel noise rubbing noise as though you got a steel shaft being turned through a tight rubber bush, a bit annoying, but not a hazardous issue i am told.

I will be posting on here where the heck is the master cylinder and where is the slave cylinder. But if you know you can tell me here, I won't tell anyone if you do!
thanks. :lol:

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Not another Newbie, dear oh dear!

Post by Redman » Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi
The clutch appears to be a well known problem, more so on the diesel cars ( recall on them also affected the brakes) Put your foot underneath the pedal and force it back up when it happens.
Try persuing this issue with vauxhall customer services, you never know they might at least contribute to its repair.
If the car has been rear ended make sure you keep inspecting the battery compartment isn't getting full of water. It will ruin the electronics in there if so..
Make sure you use the correct engine oil and don't lug the engine when accelerating, drop gears. Read up on lspi.

msg

Post by msg » Sat May 01, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks Redman, good bit of info, prior to this I had not idea that lugging can be an issue on this engine, however, even when i drove my Cally I had always used high revs before letting out clutch, usually around 2000RPM or more, with a clutch slip smooth take off, yes it reduces clutch life, but nothing beats quick get away.

In fact I collected this car from Birmingham, then I drove to see a friend in Nottingham, and drove back to London, and never knew 6th gear existed until the next day! it was doing what my Calibra did 3000RPM doing 70mph, so never thought there was yet another higher gear! Not only that my lights were set to position 3, and I could hardly see more than a few tens of feet ahead, I was looking for the control but it was being obscured by the steering wheel and did not want to fumble around with controls in dark, 3/4 way down I discovered where this switch was and turned it to 0 position i.e. no load at the back, so road became much better illuminated.

Yes I looked up on Google and there seems to be a recall on Diesel Astras, I will try and contact Vauxhall dealers and see what they have to say, it is an important issue as if you lose your clutch in heavy traffic, you are going to cause even more problem by breaking down in the middle of it and not being able to at least get going in 1st gear while cranking the engine without pressing on accelerator pedal, once the car gets going you can then gently accelerate away, and even change gears , I learned this from years of motoring. Often I change gears just for the fun of it without pressing on a clutch by adjusting revs and at a correct moment it would just snap in.

I wonder if the engine starting by pressing the clutch pedal can be programmed out, then if the clutch fails I can get home at least. Or if it is hard wired to a pressure switch, then I wonder where it would be located, sure it is not pedal connected as the pedal went right down, yes I lifted it up with my foot, and had to pump it a few times to build strength.

Redman

Post by Redman » Sun May 02, 2021 10:09 am

All pedal switches are potentiometer type now and not just simple on off switches. The car's electronics use the clutch pedal position and rate of travel for things like electronic handbrake auto release, hill start assist brake release. I think cruise control will come off if it is fully depressed for longer than 3 or 4 seconds or so. Then for starting the engine safely out of gear.

I don't think I have ever kept my clutch pedal down for 2 or 3 mins whilst stationery, I simply come out of gear, handbrake on.

If I were you I would check there are no outstanding works on the vehicle as some steering racks were recalled for replacement. Check it has had engine ecu update etc

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 am

I struggle to understand why they introduced clutch down to start the engine at all,
brake applied to crank,yes sensible if you really have to have some double check,but clutch down when starting can only increase component wear when the engine is cold and potentially lacking lubrication,i wonder if it's at the root of the crankshaft end float issues we're seeing ?
Nowadays you see so many cars at the lights riding the clutch,not good practice at all and shows a lack of mechanical understanding and sympathy,
as Redman says "get it out of gear and apply the handbrake"

@msg, lots of crash boxes around when i started driving,
you had to learn the art of double declutching pretty quick if you didn't want the other mechanics taking the pee :D
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

msg

Post by msg » Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am

Yes I fully understand why keep the clutch depressed when you can be at red traffic lights and know it can easily take two or three minutes before you get going, however when you are in grid locked or very heavy traffic, in and around round abouts where everyone tries their best to get in, at junctions, or in heavily crawling traffic, that is where you have to keep clutch engaged most of the time and release it a bit to move just a few more inches and press it in again, so most of the time it remains down, this is where the problem creeps in.

As for double declutching, the days of the old motoring are now history, I have driven Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Victor 101, Hillman Hunters, Minxes, and Mini, Nissan Micra, and Vauxhall Calibra Red Top and now Ecotech, and many a times I have driven with broken clutch pedal, or link, so not a problem for me but yes with modern electronics control you just can't win.

kamalaggi
Astra Model: MY21 Elite Nav Premium
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by kamalaggi » Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Valer wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 am
I struggle to understand why they introduced clutch down to start the engine at all,
brake applied to crank,yes sensible if you really have to have some double check,but clutch down when starting can only increase component wear when the engine is cold and potentially lacking lubrication,i wonder if it's at the root of the crankshaft end float issues we're seeing ?
Nowadays you see so many cars at the lights riding the clutch,not good practice at all and shows a lack of mechanical understanding and sympathy,
as Redman says "get it out of gear and apply the handbrake"

@msg, lots of crash boxes around when i started driving,
you had to learn the art of double declutching pretty quick if you didn't want the other mechanics taking the pee :D

On my 2021 Astra you have to press the clutch and brake to start the engine.

Redman

Post by Redman » Sun May 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Valer wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 am
clutch down when starting can only increase component wear when the engine is cold and potentially lacking lubrication,i wonder if it's at the root of the crankshaft end float issues we're seeing ?
I have also given this some thought Valer, and come to the conclusion that pressing the clutch in whilst starting would take clutch plate pressure off the crankshaft thrust bearings. It surely allows the engine a less restricted start as it isn't rotating the clutch and gearbox components. Therefore allowing faster turning of the oil pump, assisting in quicker oil delivery. I have always pressed my clutch in when starting, long before it became a starting interlock. Maybe I am thinking down the wrong lines.

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Sun May 02, 2021 1:09 pm

I wish i knew definitively Redman,clutch down to crank was a rare requirement in my workshop days so us techs never had a good discussion about it.
My gut feeling is that clutch down puts an end load on the crank before it can be properly lubricated,
maybe the end float issues we're seeing are just down to poor material choice ?
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

1900sr
Astra Model: ex 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm

I was always taught to start the engine with the clutch depressed, back from learning to drive 37 years ago, less for the starter to turn for easier starting I think, but also as a failsafe in case you've not checked it's in neutral (or you're in an old BL product that had as much movement on the gearstick in gear as it did in neutral ;) )
I had a 2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, now got a Honda.