dtc reader

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Re: dtc reader

Post by Valer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Oh yes,full compatibility with the car and all software features when using GDS2, plus it could be used for programming with an online account
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:10 pm

Valer wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:42 pm
Oh yes,full compatibility with the car and all software features when using GDS2, plus it could be used for programming with an online account
Well worth it then imho.
I will be looking out for one then, hopefully without the import tax.

Redman

Post by Redman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 am

Valer wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:42 pm
So if you pay the subscription to allow user programming, at what point is the carpass code required? we simply don't have them to hand like previous astras.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Post by Shaky » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am

Redman wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 am
So if you pay the subscription to allow user programming, at what point is the carpass code required? we simply don't have them to hand like previous astras.
My understanding of the current way of doing it is that after getting a subscription, (which is bloody expensive btw - think it's about £40 for a couple of hours up to about 2 grand forra year :shock: ) you then download & pay for Global TIS software which allows you to access the SPS programming function. If you want to use it for older cars, you need Tech2Win software and of course there's GDS2 for general code reading and resetting.

Then if you're adding modules or features, this is where the dreaded VCI codes come into it. Apparently Vauxhall/PSA won't always release one either ! I don't actually know if the carpass is required anymore for the latest breed of cars ?

They've really locked it down now :evil: :evil:
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

Redman

Post by Redman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 pm

Shaky wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am
Redman wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 am
My understanding of the current way of doing it is that after getting a subscription, (which is bloody expensive btw - think it's about £40 for a couple of hours up to about 2 grand forra year :shock: ) you then download & pay for Global TIS software which allows you to access the SPS programming function. If you want to use it for older cars, you need Tech2Win software and of course there's GDS2 for general code reading and resetting.

Then if you're adding modules or features, this is where the dreaded VCI codes come into it. Apparently Vauxhall/PSA won't always release one either ! I don't actually know if the carpass is required anymore for the latest breed of cars ?

Thanks for the info.
Seems a bit hit and miss for newer gm cars then with regards to say replacing a water damaged bcm.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Shaky wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am

From what i have read, carpass is not a thing anymore.

The VCI codes are requested directly from their server and is function and VIN number dependent.

Meaning that the "secret carpass" code is unique for a function and a VIN.

Probably a code that is unique so that the function and VIN are seeds for some algorithm that spits out the code.

Assymetric i bet....They have a secret key for encrypting the key, and your public key on the ECU decrypts the key and only accepts that function if the code checks out.

Officially for theft prevention offcourse, but in reality to force people to have their car fixed at vauxhall or atleast by someone paying vauxhall for the privilege.

Also eliminates the used parts marked, as the ECU must probably be divorced using some secret code,before it will accept any VIN change and therefor it will not work on another car.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redman

Post by Redman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 pm

What would be the point of buying a licence to use programming functions, if you are not sure it would allow it to function on your vehicle? Does it simply say "computer says no, you are not an authorised dealer" so to speak lol. If that is the case it shouldn't allow you to purchase without approval.
Also do you need to renew the basic user license yearly, programming license aside ?

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:21 pm

It involves live online access codes does it not, now for changing certain parts to your vehicle? I.e light clusters etc, even if you were to buy one from a breakers. No doubt it'll become even worse once we progress further over to PSA systems for diy enthusiasts. I took less interest within diagnostic systems once I moved on from the Astra H. It's ironic really, we (alot of us), own our own cars, but we don't have full access to the diagnostic systems within them. European law intervention no doubt?

gmprog

Post by gmprog » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 am

H gang
try the program. (only DTC reader (no parameters))
gmprog